MAX SQUAT DAYYY

Advertisement
Just lift where you can control the weight, which maxing doesn't do.

Yeah, they need to lift. It's part of the deal. There will be long term damage from it. Let's not make it catastrophic.

(If you're over 40 and still squat heavy, get a CT scan of your vertebrae, please)

all of this is wrong.

p.s. a lot of science is showing that spinal imaging is fairly useless as an indicator for future injury/pain because a lot of people have herniated discs but are completely asymptomatic with zero pain.

You can't get a good spot on a squat.

If it goes wrong, it's maybe the most damaging lift you can do

18 year olds standing around cheering is not a recipe for leaving ego out.

The lift itself does nothing at all you you.
What in the **** are you talking about? you cant get a "good spot" on a squat? Are you being serious here? It sounds to me like you have zero clue about how training work. If you told me you cant get a spot on a deadlift ok, but on a squat its fairly easy unless you are a simpleton. As far as the most damaging lift you can do tho, no its not a squat either. Im not sure why you thought you were qualified to make any statements on this topic to be honest

It's actually a good barometer to use to determine where one's strength on a particular exercise has evolved. It's really up to the person doing the max to temper their ego and be realistic.

going 90% is a good barometer, but going 100% is just massive stress on everything from tendons to ligaments to bones to muscles

Advertisement
Horrific form, coming up off his heels and putting a lot of unnecessary stress on his knees. I hope they have corrected this by now.
He's not coming up off his heels. He's wearing squat shoes, and the white on the bottom contrasted with the green on the floor gives an optical illusion. Open the image up, and you can see he's flat.

louis-hedley-1.jpg

If this guy maxes out at anything less than 950 lbs I’ll be extremely disappointed.

That's a banded squat in a still image that looks around parallel and doesn't tell you anything other than the fact they've trained knees out by using a band. Doesn't look like an ego squat at all. Biggest issue is mouth open, meaning that he's losing air and possibly not bracing correctly, which should be corrected.

Also you can 100% get a good spot on a squat. It's called side spotting, but considering they are using bumper plates on a platform they can just bail pretty easily as well.

Lots of you guys have obviously never done strength sports if you think a testing day is super dangerous.
No the biggest issue is not his mouth being open. The biggest issue is that his heels are coming up a lot

Advertisement
What in the **** are you talking about? you cant get a "good spot" on a squat? Are you being serious here? It sounds to me like you have zero clue about how training work. If you told me you cant get a spot on a deadlift ok, but on a squat its fairly easy unless you are a simpleton. As far as the most damaging lift you can do tho, no its not a squat either. Im not sure why you thought you were qualified to make any statements on this topic to be honest

Why would you need a spot on a deadlift? What would you do? Push it to the floor? The point of a spot is to get back to a safe position.

By your post, I wonder if you spotted someone on a squat when they're in over their head

I did and I zoomed in and they still look up to me

Please circle on the image where you think they are coming up. His heel is flat against the floor, and his toes are down. There is no way for both of them to be down, and the rest of his foot to be coming up. His legs are spread against the band, and his ankles aren't caving.

Advertisement
Is there a bigger risk of injury under a max load or say 75%? That's clear the injury question up.

Now post your PR's.

Why would you need a spot on a deadlift? What would you do? Push it to the floor? The point of a spot is to get back to a safe position.

By your post, I wonder if you spotted someone on a squat when they're in over their head
I have both spotted someone that failed a lift, and failed a lift with no spot.

A good side spot is perfectly fine for the weights these kids are going to use. None of them are moving enough weight they need to be in a monolift.

If you don't have a spotter, you let the bar fall back and jump forward. Bailing isn't a big deal if you know how to do it. Olympic Weightlifter usually train without spotters on their backsquats coming off a squat stand. Is that dangerous for them?

I can tell by your response you arent comprehending what I said. Let me spell it out for you since you are having trouble with it, You cant spot a deadlift, they either get it or they dont. And for a spotting a heavy squat, you have 3 spotters, or more, 1 back spot and a side spotter on each side 2 if the weight is significant(typically over 700 lbs) to safely spot a squat. If you are still struggling with this concept and im sure you are, go google some powerlifting videos and see how they spot heavy squats

Advertisement
I have both spotted someone that failed a lift, and failed a lift with no spot.

A good side spot is perfectly fine for the weights these kids are going to use. None of them are moving enough weight they need to be in a monolift.

If you don't have a spotter, you let the bar fall back and jump forward. Bailing isn't a big deal if you know how to do it. Olympic Weightlifter usually train without spotters on their backsquats coming off a squat stand. Is that dangerous for them?

Agree with all of this. Was thinking of the solo spot only (like the pic). Not side spots.

I should add: we're not talking about people who've devoted their lives to lifting. Talking about everyone else.

Last edited:
Please circle on the image where you think they are coming up. His heel is flat against the floor, and his toes are down. There is no way for both of them to be down, and the rest of his foot to be coming up. His legs are spread against the band, and his ankles aren't caving.
Bro, toes and heels should both be on the floor and rooted. neither should be coming up at all. and its not the ankles caving people should worry about its the knees

Advertisement
Back