MAX SQUAT DAYYY

I’m heading to the gun now. LMAO 😂 I won’t be back squatting above 315 today. Watching **** like that makes me feel so weak. These kids truly are killing it! I’m so proud of them for buying in and giving more this summer, than they did all of last year. It’s going to be a very special season. Hard work pays off!!!!

Advertisement
You can't get a good spot on a squat.

If it goes wrong, it's maybe the most damaging lift you can do

18 year olds standing around cheering is not a recipe for leaving ego out.

The lift itself does nothing at all you you.
Doing heavy singles for testing isn’t dangerous for professional athletes (which these kids are). Max effort training is very common and the idea the squat does nothing for you is need to the entire strength community.
Just lift where you can control the weight, which maxing doesn't do.

Yeah, they need to lift. It's part of the deal. There will be long term damage from it. Let's not make it catastrophic.

(If you're over 40 and still squat heavy, get a CT scan of your vertebrae, please)

No it ******* doesn't. This is a ridiculous take. Why then, do the vast majority of NFL, D1, and Combine trainers use the mixed grip then?
Unless you compete, mixed gril isn’t worth the risk IMO. Many elite power lifters agree fyi. It’s really senseless for athletes. Get your grip work in other ways like farmers Walks.

Unless you compete, mixed gril isn’t worth the risk IMO. Many elite power lifters agree fyi. It’s really senseless for athletes. Get your grip work in other ways like farmers Walks.

The only issue with mixed grip is if you have slack in your arm before you pull there’s a higher chance of tearing your biceps.

Advertisement
The only issue with mixed grip is if you have slack in your arm before you pull there’s a higher chance of tearing your biceps.
It’s not slack that does it, it’s tension on the tendon from guys pulling and engaging bicep. There is no “slack” in your arm mid pull. It can be coached out by when guys who power lift all the time blow them out by engaging biceps in the last 1/4 of the pull why bother coaching around this when hook grip solves the issue?

Also mixed grip creates muscle imbalances. You can counter by switching grip but I wouldn’t risk it if I had a professional athletic career.

Last edited:
I love to see the bar flex and move because there is so much weight on it!
YES ,

I loved it also nothing better to in the mirror with tonnage of 100 pound plated CLANGING as bar flexes bounces and the whole weight room circle the platform, truly outrageous.

Oh the memories

GOCANES

It’s not slack that does it, it’s tension on the tendon from guys pulling and engaging bicep. There is no “slack” in your arm mid pull. It can be coached out by when guys who power lift all the time blow them out by engaging biceps in the last 1/4 of the pull why bother coaching around this when hook grip solves the issue?

Also mixed grip creates muscle imbalances. You can counter by switching grip but I wouldn’t risk it if I had a professional athletic career.
Good points, auxiliary muscles and tendon MUST be worked, wrist curls forearm rolls and so on to stabilize and control the motions of the lift .

Many forget the small things if you forget you’ll get stagnant in not increasing plus injuries follow.

Advertisement
zach galifianakis gym GIF by BasketsFX

2x100 + 2x45x + 1x25 + 1x5+ 1x2.5 per side = 322.5x2 = 645 + 55lb squat bar = 700 total.

Beltless, it seems, and I couldn’t see any knee wraps or sleeves.

No lift - not to depth, but this wasn’t an IPF competition.

Impressive for a college football player.

It is very impressive! I am embarrassed to say my max lifts sucked in comparison to his squat. 375 bench 405!squat and 225 power clean. But my 225lb bench was impressive. 27 times or two sets of 20. 300 bench press 10 times. 315 8 times. There are some cool formulas. I bet I’d develop a lot more in Mario’s program.

Advertisement
I’ll be 65 in September and after couple mile high paced walk and a bike ride I do high rep squats NO weights to get my heart rate up , core strengthening and burn calories and fat.

35 plus years ago my best three lifts none competition we’re at 242 pounds

Squat 705
Deadlift 730
Bench 450
Total 1985
made several attempts to break 2000lb total but mentally just way to much at 242.

Retired soon after these totals , life got in the way

My things have changed .

GOCANES

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back