Massive NY Times investigation on Winston rape just hit

This case is no different from the one that wiped out wins and resulted in four years of bowl bans at PSU. It's not about whether Jameis is guilty; it's about the school not fulfilling it's title IX obligations and thus breaking federal law in an effort to win football games. It's the exact same precedent that Emmert slammed PSU for.

Not really, the school tried to cover up the Penn state situation, this one was all law enforcement. The school acted, the police didn't.

The school acted about a year later than what the law requires.

Advertisement
For the retards here who still don't get it, the following is exactly what makes this case in the same exact category as PSU:

"University administrators, in apparent violation of federal law, did not promptly investigate either the rape accusation or the witness’s admission that he had videotaped part of the encounter.

Records show that Florida State’s athletic department knew about the rape accusation early on, in January 2013, when the assistant athletic director called the police to inquire about the case. Even so, the university did nothing about it, allowing Mr. Winston to play the full season without having to answer any questions. After the championship game, in January 2014, university officials asked Mr. Winston to discuss the case, but he declined on advice of his lawyer."

FSU Compliance and Investigation Department

see-hear-speak-no-evil.jpg

Advertisement
The article was page 1 on the print edition yesterday BTW.
Here are some top comments on the Times site on this article:

dlamison Jakarta, Indonesia 20 hours ago
Did I hear this right? FSU has a booster club with assets of $125 million? This booster club paid 25% of the university president's salary? This booster club employed Tallahassee police officers including the one investigating this case? Where do I start? SMU? PSU? Oh, and the FSU president will now go to PSU and hire the new athletic director and football coach? Again, ... where do I start? Completely out of control!

130Recommend
fairlington New Jersey 21 hours ago
This is a fine piece of investigative reporting and a disgraceful statement about the power that intercollegiate sports hold over American society and fair justice.

I won't be surprised when Jameis Winston is accused again of rape, either still playing for Florida State or when he goes to the NFL. He knows, his teammates know, and thousands of other college football players competing for the top echelon of NCAA Division IA schools know they can commit the crime and get away with it. Coaches, university administrators, powerful alumni, and others will guarantee their felony crimes never face our system of justice.

110Recommend
MSL Pennsylvania 21 hours ago
My first thought after reading this was why were all the investigating officers men? Including the campus police officers?

105Recommend

The Real Mr. Magoo Virginia 20 hours ago
This is investigative journalism in the best sense of that term: the author collected the facts and laid them out in a way the university and the police were unwilling or unable to do. The reader can analyze the information as presented, decide how to weigh the trustworthiness of the facts and the various sources, and reach his or her own conclusion. Kudos to NY Times for running this.

For me, reading this article, it is a damning indictment of Mr. Winston, Florida State University, the Tallahassee police department, Heisman voters, and the Atlantic Coast Conference. What screwed up priorities!

77Recommend

Let's say they do investigate FSU for violation of Title IX and find they have indeed violated it. What kind of penalties would they be looking at? I have to assume that penalties from this are different than the ones the NCAA hands down.

Would the NCAA step into this one just like they did with the PSU case or will they not want to face the backlash like they did when they handed down penalties against PSU...

Come to think of it.... wasn't Emmert Pres of LSU when Tricky Nicky and Little Jimbo were there....HMMM....

Just curious

Last edited:
Goes on in Tuscaloosa, Canesville, Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Columbus, and on and on and on.

NCAA infractions and paying athletes in similar fashion have always gone on to some degree, much like bought off local police in these corrupt college towns...thus the burning desire to hate and point the finger at us. We have done more than our share trying to keep up with these corrupt monstrosities, but as many of us have said over the years, we can't hold a candle to **** that goes on all the time on major state university campuses.

F$U has been out of control for years. Maybe this changes something, but I doubt it. Almighty football and $$ before anything else.

UM

Title IV will find it's way from the streets of Tallahassee to the floor of Congress. The Rape case is over, but the stoppage federal funding to the university and it's athletic programs has just begun. This will make the case against Miami and the public outrage over nothing, seem like a walk in the park compared to this. We have Rubio and Jeb Bush running for President in the next election. If they don't publicly call for an investigation in FLORIDA in regards to Title IV, it will be debate fodder. The female vote is to important to ignore this hot button issue. Also, if you don't think other schools Presidents are not asking their legislators to run with this your nuts. This could destroy a recruiting class and help a school with a kid on the fence. This will all go down in Washington before signing day. chop chop

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is such a serious human tragedy.

A few comments: clearly FSU did not act in good faith in the interest of protecting its students, and it and the TPD are guilty of nonfeasance and malfeasance.

Also, since Winston was not tried he can still be tried. Double jeopardy does not attach in a jury trail until the jury is empanelled.

The key here seems to be the two eye witnesses. Usually the police are skillful at applying pressure to witnesses to get at least one of them to turn state's evidence, but because the TPD did not vigorously pursue this case the witnesses were able to reconcile their stories.

Is the evidence of an apparent cover up enough to move forward with a trail? Probably not because to obtain a conviction you still have to prove rape. It is enough however to launch another investigation that might turn up more evidence. Again, I believe the key is the two eye witnesses. If either of them changes their story I think this can go forward with a criminal prosecution.

This case is no different from the one that wiped out wins and resulted in four years of bowl bans at PSU. It's not about whether Jameis is guilty; it's about the school not fulfilling it's title IX obligations and thus breaking federal law in an effort to win football games. It's the exact same precedent that Emmert slammed PSU for.

Not really, the school tried to cover up the Penn state situation, this one was all law enforcement. Te school acted, the police didn't.

You are incorrect.

They interviewed Winston immediately: he plead the "5th"

Nobody outside of the "rape counseling" office is allowed to talk to the girl of she refuses to press charges.

Casher and Darby were interviewed "a year later" because that's when FSU first heard about their involvement.

The girl also too e police Casher wasn't in the cab or apartment.

Winston lawyred up, and the girl probably didn't want an investigation.

The truth will come out eventually.

If FSU was just going to "cover it up" why wait a year and get the Feds curious?

That Isnt very good conspiracy planning.

Last edited:

Not really, the school tried to cover up the Penn state situation, this one was all law enforcement. Te school acted, the police didn't.

You are incorrect.

Nobody outside of the "rape counseling" office is allowed to talk to the girl of she refuses to press charges.

Casher and Darby were interviewed "a year later" because that's when FSU first heard about their involvement.

If FSU was just going to "cover it up" why wait a year and get the Feds curious?

217.jpg

There is that fine FSU education coming to out

218.jpg

And let us not forget this GEM

d28c9da19899b5693fbd105d89ae93bf1892842896.png

Let's say they do investigate FSU for violation of Title IX and find they have indeed violated it. What kind of penalties would they be looking at? I have to assume that penalties from this are different than the ones the NCAA hands down.

Would the NCAA step into this one just like they did with the PSU case or will they not want to face the backlash like they did when they handed down penalties against PSU...

Come to think of it.... wasn't Emmert Pres of LSU when Tricky Nicky and Little Jimbo were there....HMMM....

Just curious

It would be a fine anywhere from $200,000 to a couple of million. University of Colorado got hit with a $5 million fine.

DOE is investigating about a dozen schools, FSU just happens to be the biggest story.

Advertisement

You are incorrect.

You can't seriously believe that there wasn't some sort of covering up going on there can you? Be it the Tally PD, university etc. The dismissal of the investigator will be just the beginning IMO. I'm also not saying Winston did rape her, but there does seem to be some chinks in his armor i.e. the window breaking, the other female...I have a feeling the spotlight is going to shine very bright on FSU and Tally this summer.

You are incorrect.

You can't seriously believe that there wasn't some sort of covering up going on there can you? Be it the Tally PD, university etc. The dismissal of the investigator will be just the beginning IMO. I'm also not saying Winston did rape her, but there does seem to be some chinks in his armor i.e. the window breaking, the other female...I have a feeling the spotlight is going to shine very bright on FSU and Tally this summer.

Yep even the DA ( FSU alum) said there was some things in the investigation that were not standard practice.

Advertisement
The one thing that keeps popping up in my mind is if he did nothing wrong why did he get an attorney so fast and why won't he talk? I would think everyone associated with him would want to clear his name? It's not like it's just going to go away especially with the renewed emphasis the NFL has on personal conduct.

You are incorrect.

It's as simple as this, man: A student alleged that Winston raped her, and neither the University nor the police department fulfilled its duties and responsibilities. That alone is truly a tragedy. And their reckless approach to the incident didn't do the victim nor Winston (if he's innocent) any good.

FIRST: The TPD appears, at best, incompetent in its investigation and, at worst, active in a cover up. The most reasonable takeaway from the available facts, I think, is that the TPD was actively disinterested in investigating the rape claim. Moreover, there appears to be a genuine cultural issue in Tally regarding the handling of sexual assault cases.

SECOND: The University did not fulfill its obligations regarding Title IX. It just didn't. I don't see any evidence that the athletic department actively tried to conceal anything, but it seems readily apparent that FSU didn't want to start digging for fear of finding something.

So the TPD is corrupt and disgusting, and FSU is only slightly less so.

The bottom line question is: What sort of consequences results from not fulfilling your Title IX requirements? I think some, probably, but nothing program-shattering.

This is par for the course in college athletics. Truly moral missteps (PSU, UNC, now FSU with both the cheating and the raping) are bobbled or dropped completely by the NCAA; but, god **** you better watch your eligibility if they catch you sleeping on a coach's couch or eating a free dinner.

Last edited:
The one thing that keeps popping up in my mind is if he did nothing wrong why did he get an attorney so fast and why won't he talk? I would think everyone associated with him would want to clear his name? It's not like it's just going to go away especially with the renewed emphasis the NFL has on personal conduct.

Preach on.... I said the same thing. If you did nothing wrong and you know you did nothing wrong then you would answer questions. Unless that is......

To "plead the Fifth" is to refuse to answer any question because "the implications of the question, in the setting in which it is asked" lead a claimant to possess a "reasonable cause to apprehend danger from a direct answer", believing that "a responsive answer to the question or an explanation of why it cannot be answered might be dangerous because injurious disclosure could result

Advertisement
Back