Off-Topic Mass killings

Advertisement
Fixed what??? If you want to post and make a point then do so .... You just rewrote a post to say something else..... Just write what you want and add to the discussion....
I merely illustrated that you are willing to abandon one of the rights expressed in the Bill of Rights for your political view, but the others are “different “…….

The problem never goes away.... There's always going to be a person with a issue.... It's hard to say what an actual fix is other than care for individuals in need... Long term if needed... How that is done financially is another issue which just continues the "Issue" problem....
The issue now with Law Enforcement having him on radar and not disarming him ahead of time is not good... Again... another issue.... Where do you actually point the finger at making the problem go away???
I can only say for myself I prefer to be armed to give myself a chance if absolutely needed...It's my right, I believe in it....

Please don't take anything I wrote as a knock on your statement , it isn't... I appreciate you offering a point of reason...
This is the big picture. The lack of a gun isn't going to make these people suddenly well adjusted. But the people who exclusively blame guns don't seem to really care if they drive a truck into a crowd or beat someone to death with a hammer.

I merely illustrated that you are willing to abandon one of the rights expressed in the Bill of Rights for your political view, but the others are “different “…….
No. I just answered a question that was asked..... You rewrote it to say something else entirely and now you are implying I had political motivation to do so....
I see you also accused someone of trolling who clearly wasn't and then had to interject how you want to vote.... You're the only one who drew lines of red and blue....

Advertisement
See post 3583…..
That post answered the post I also answered and agreed to after which you re-worded and turned it into something else.... You sure you picked the right post???

Is anyone opposed to banning firearms to individuals who receive any and all mental health intervention? ie. voluntarily or involuntarily?
You could easily do that without violating due process rights.

That was #3583....

Temporary restraining orders are issued all the time. A good start is to run it through that process. The trick will always be to prevent abuse. There has to be a credible concern, not some anti-gun person calling in an anonymous threat because they know someone has guns and doesn't like them. Swatting is already an under-prosecuted crime.

That post answered the post I also answered and agreed to after which you re-worded and turned it into something else.... You sure you picked the right post???

You could easily do that without violating due process rights.

That was #3583....
Like you said, no solution. Anything proposed will have a downside. So flash forward to the end, the problem never goes away and people continue to complain.

Advertisement
Temporary restraining orders are issued all the time. A good start is to run it through that process. The trick will always be to prevent abuse. There has to be a credible concern, not some anti-gun person calling in an anonymous threat because they know someone has guns and doesn't like them. Swatting is already an under-prosecuted crime.
Sorry. You are correct my number was wrong. See 3598

Florida has an effective mental health protection process-The Baker Act. It attempts to balance liberty with self/community protection. Unfortunately, it is used too infrequently and is often misused by spouses and enemies. I think that many are afraid that such laws will be weaponized by political opponents. In today's cancel, attack, and kill society that may be a legitimate concern.

Sorry. You are correct my number was wrong. See 3598

Florida has an effective mental health protection process-The Baker Act. It attempts to balance liberty with self/community protection. Unfortunately, it is used too infrequently and is often misused by spouses and enemies. I think that many are afraid that such laws will be weaponized by political opponents. In today's cancel, attack, and kill society that may be a legitimate concern.

Since I haven't lived in FL since 2012, is Baker Act same as Red Flag or they separate laws?

It's been around since before 2000. If someone reports you as a harm to yourself o others and the responding officer thinks it's justified, you go to a secure psychiatric treatment center for 24 hours.

Ok! So it is different than Red Flag?? Or they now tied to each other??

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ok let me try. If a child has a treatable but otherwise fatal illness, our society has concluded that she is entitled to be cured by medical treatment even though her parents want treatment withheld so that prayer has time to heal her. Mental illness is no different. It can be treated and controlled if not cured. It does infringe upon liberty, but I believe that society will approve of involuntary treatment. Cost, that is easy. Today the president, without congressional approval, sent $13 Billion dollars in foreign aid to people who chant “Death to America”. The federal government has spent billions of dollars funding stupid things like gender studies, unintentional micro aggressions, or the ever popular rewriting history. In short spend taxpayer’ money on real things, not on junk that is merely transferring wealth.
How is this handled today with the very ill children of Christian Scientists? Can parents be charged with Manslaughter if the child dies? Does society step in and provide med intervention/treatment over the parents' objections?

How is this handled today with the very ill children of Christian Scientists? Can parents be charged with Manslaughter if the child dies? Does society step in and provide med intervention/treatment over the parents' objections?
In Florida, life saving treatment is administered even if the parents object. The same is not true on non-life or death situations.

But still could have them after being released??
When you're baker acted your weapons are not taken away from you unless you are carrying at that moment.... If the weapons are in your home they'll stay in your home.... Obviously if you're being Baker acted for a suicide attempt and that attempt is with a gun the gun will be confiscated .... How and when it's returned is debatable...
When I worked in drug treatment we had quite a few people Baker acted due to Mental issues but thankfully none had weapons involved....
It's still different than making Death threats and things of that nature towards the public at large... I have no problem with taking away weapons and banning those from having weapons that venture into that category.... As well as having those people put under psychiatric care immediately....

Advertisement
Back