Off-Topic Mass killings

Advertisement
Infringe on the rights of law abiding gun owners to prevent nuts and criminals from shooting people, yea that should work

murica-guns.gif

I am certainly not willing to compare the ability to vote with the ability to buy weapons and ammo to kill 20 people.

I agree, but the core argument is that 18 year olds are not mature enough to own a gun, so why are they mature enough to vote, or even drive?

I respect the 2A. I’ve never understood how people use it to justify (semi) automatic weapons, though. They clearly were not the intent of the founding fathers.

Want to carry a concealed weapon to protect yourself? Fine. Want to take a rifle into the woods to hunt? Absolutely. Why the need for a killing machine? Are a dozen murderous guys going to break into your home, forcing you to protect your family, Rambo style?

I don’t follow 2A/gun rights stuff enough to have a real opinion, but it seems to me that something like stopping all new sales but allowing those who already Own them to keep them, would be a good start. Are people really gonna be upset that their great grandchildren won’t be able to own an automatic weapon? Probably not. Maybe 100 years from now there will be less on the streets.
You can't legally own an automatic weapon.

I agree, but the core argument is that 18 year olds are not mature enough to own a gun, so why are they mature enough to vote?
A vote is a check on a piece of paper, a gun is a weapon that immediately gives one the ability to kill someone else and play God.

Advertisement
A vote is a check on a piece of paper, a gun is a weapon that immediately gives one the ability to kill someone else and play God.

OK, so an 18 year driving a car can easily kill someone, even if they are not mentally ill. That why insurance rates are much higher when one is younger.

And 18 year olds are the dumbest voters, they dont have any real world experience.

To clarify, I think the age for owning a gun, voting, etc. should be higher than 18.

OK, so an 18 year driving a car can easily kill someone, even if they are not mentally ill. That why insurance rates are much higher when one is younger.

And 18 year olds are the dumbest voters, they dont have any real world experience.

To clarify, I think the age for owning a gun, voting, etc. should be higher than 18.
Okay, that last paragraph explains your stance.

However, regarding your first one: A gun was made with the intent to kill someone. A car was not made with that purpose. Thats where the difference is for me. You are certainly mature enough at 18 to do certain things and handle certain things (if we assume sufficient education), a gun in my estimate does not come on the list on these things for me unless that person has been turned upside down in checks, tests and analysis.

Okay, that last paragraph explains your stance.

However, regarding your first one: A gun was made with the intent to kill someone. A car was not made with that purpose. Thats where the difference is for me.

Yavolt.

Where we probably disagree is that to me this is a mental health issue, not a gun control issue. The age of the shooter is not material, his mental state is. No need to answer, its fine to disagree.

Advertisement
Yavolt.

Where we probably disagree is that to me this is a mental health issue, not a gun control issue. The age of the shooter is not material, his mental state is. No need to answer, its fine to disagree.
The US needs to take care of their mental health regardless of gun violence taking place, thats a stance we all agree on I think.

Germany...hmmm...I wouldnt use that as a historically great example of a citizenry that is not allowed to own firearms.
I am glad to inform you that Hitler (that one austrian dictator) was able to get his power by abusing a privately owned gun that he fired on more than one occasion to get his point across. He even openly presented it in his early political life to demonstrate power.

If your comment was supposed to be a **** reference, I am sorry, but I have to wipe that away immediately.

Advertisement
Most 18 year olds are stupid and more easily brainwashed. They can help vote in politicians with sh@tty policies that kill way more than 20 people.
I wouldnt connect the ability to be stupid and easily brainwashed to 18 year olds.

A ****load of people are stupid across all age groups. One is not smarter by being older simply, only if he uses experiences gained to learn from mistakes.

Advertisement
I am glad to inform you that ****** (that one austrian dictator) was able to get his power by abusing a privately owned gun that he fired on more than one occasion to get his point across. He even openly presented it in his early political life to demonstrate power.

If your comment was supposed to be a **** reference, I am sorry, but I have to wipe that away immediately.
He had mental health issues wouldn't you say? So perhaps keeping guns out of the hands of psychopaths is the real solution then.

In a country such as ours with over 300M in population, there’s inevitably a significant number of nut jobs/mental defectives or whatever one wants to call those with some mental disorder. It’s virtually impossible to identify them all.

It’s a well known fact that there are literally millions of guns in circulation throughout the country both legal and illegal. It’s virtually impossible to track/trace them all thus removing even a small portion is not feasible.

I do believe that the 24/7 media coverage encourages those who wish to do others harm to carry out their impulses. The constant, uber detailed media coverage won’t stop anytime soon either.

There are certainly other contributing factors too numerous to list. It’s sad and frustrating that we continually hear of these mass shootings. I have no solutions to offer as I am but a bug on a windshield but I would suggest that we control what we can control and hope for the best.
It doesn't help now that we raise kids to think everyone is a winner and equal no matter what the circumstances. Then they become teens and young adults and don't know how to handle when something doesn't go their way.

I wouldnt connect the ability to be stupid and easily brainwashed to 18 year olds.

A ****load of people are stupid across all age groups. One is not smarter by being older simply, only if he uses experiences gained to learn from mistakes.

I agree there's stupid people of all ages. However, wisdom is gained with experiences in life and age as you also indicated. I'm pretty sure there's more dumb 18 year olds than older people.

He had mental health issues wouldn't you say? So perhaps keeping guns out of the hands of psychopaths is the real solution then.
You start to get the point that I am making...

Regardless of that, Hitler was in psychological rehab in the early 1920s, but not because of the reasons one might suggest. He wasn't mentally ill, he was just evil and convinced of some really evil ****.

Advertisement
Back