Martell coming back is good news

What would that have to do with his work ethic?
Look at King’s physique and look at Martells. Tate’s upper body is pedestrian. He’s on the small side for a normal college kid that goes to gym. He needs to get stronger at his size to sling the rock. Arm strength is an issue and shows up commonly with a lack of accuracy. I’ve played with guys 5’9 and 5’10 who can sling the ball. They are all well built. I bet Tate struggles to throw 50 yards and can’t do it consistently with any accuracy. He has only one highlight I’ve ever seen in HS throwing it for about 45 yards in the air. On the contrary, Garcia is deadly accurate at 50 yards with a perfect spiral.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not disagreeing, but Scout team slot? Hate him stealing reps from young guys that need the reps unless Tater Tot is a gamer out there.

In any competent coaching staff, reps are given from top to bottom. If Martell is getting reps designed for othere WR's , it means he's out-performing them in practice. THAT is why I believe Martell can bring value. He's got a reputation of being a worker. See post #33 for some places the staff might find value with Martell.

He should've permanently moved to WR 2 years ago. If two years ago, he had worked himself into a reliable receiver, then we are 9-2 and higher ranked. That stated, if he just insists on being a QB, and the coaches allow it, then I say give the kid a legit chance to be a starter. Look, if he balls out. If he picks up not only the playbook and executes it in practice, but also learns how to become a leader and be a unifier on the team, then go for it.

I don't know or have loyalty to any of these kids on a personal level, I just want us to win and have strong QB play. He was a highly rated QB at one time. My guess is that he's damaged goods as a QB and there's no path that leads him back to a QB career (at least at a P5 school), and that he still has an opportunity to be an effective WR and even difference maker in the slot, but hey, it's America, so go for it, kid!

The truth is, I wouldn't hate it if he became the biggest Cinderella story here since I don't even know when. Ball out, Tate. Prove everyone wrong. Hopefully, he will be able to either get enough encouraging signs that he can make it as a starting QB here, or he decides what nearly every fan on CIS knows, which is - he has a shot at slot WR and almost no shot at QB.

Final thought on Tate: no matter which position he settles on, he can become a leader on the team because of his age and some of his qualities that he had when he 1st joined us. Why don't you become a leader, Tate, and leave UM (whenever that is) with a positive impression and good taste in everyone's mouth, cuz right now, we don't have a very high opinion of you. It's on you to change that.

Look at King’s physique and look at Martells. Tate’s upper body is pedestrian. He’s on the small side for a normal college kid that goes to gym. He needs to get stronger at his size to sling the rock. Arm strength is an issue and shows up commonly with a lack of accuracy. I’ve played with guys 5’9 and 5’10 who can sling the ball. They are all well built. I bet Tate struggles to throw 50 yards and can’t do it consistently with any accuracy. He has only one highlight I’ve ever seen in HS throwing it for about 45 yards in the air.
Some people can go to the gym and struggle to put on weight. A friend of mine has been lifting for years and still looks skinny as a rail. As for arm strength, there’s only so much you can do to strengthen your arm. When I played baseball, my coaches used to tell me I had a weak arm for outfield. I did drill after drill to try and work on it and my arm never got marginally stronger. Accuracy is something you can work on. But being skinny and throwing power don’t have much to do with work ethic. Look at Drew Brees. His arms are small and he can throw the ball a mile. Some people just have it and some don’t. Does that have an impact on whether or not he should be a QB? Absolutely. But to assume he isn’t a hard worker because of that is not the way to go in my opinion

I'm all for it since King is currently learning how to walk again and Perry is no longer with us.
season 5 ghost GIF by Power

Advertisement
if he gets his head on straight. You don’t go 43-0 in high school, are Gatorade’s National Player of Year and are ranked as a top 50 recruit if you don’t have some ability. The year he played at OSU he played well in a system similar to Lashlees. I have no problem with King hurt having him back in spring and seeing what he can do. We can never have too many QBs
Only way I'll take you seriously is if you post your peewee football highlights. It's not personal, it's just a business decision.

Advertisement
I love how some people think. Yeah it's great news, lol. The kid is have done nothing here except take up space. Best thing is to get another ship and have him sail far away.

Advertisement
I don’t mind if I’m wrong but in 2015 I posted to not be surprised if Rosier has good game vs Duke in his first start and I got reamed out and a lot of apologies were due when he balled out but not many came. Just a hunch and if I’m wrong I’m wrong but too many young so called fans here calling out someone who has forgotten more Canes football than they’ll ever know is very gator like

Advertisement
From what I saw of Van Dyke I’m not sure with our OL he is answer and we don’t know what we have until we see in Lashlee system
We haven't seen enough from TVD to make any determinations. He played like 3 snaps all season and it was at the end of the most embarrassing performance in years (well, maybe besides the FIU debacle).

if he gets his head on straight. You don’t go 43-0 in high school, are Gatorade’s National Player of Year and are ranked as a top 50 recruit if you don’t have some ability. The year he played at OSU he played well in a system similar to Lashlees. I have no problem with King hurt having him back in spring and seeing what he can do. We can never have too many QBs
You should have seen his supporting cast in those games.

Advertisement
Back