Marquise Lightfoot commits to Miami

Cook & Clarke weren't on that line neither was mesidor,neither was Kelley who at the very least is good against the run. The freshman will have another year in the system & the incoming class has the best line recruits in the country... as another plus licken****ter is gone. So while I agree we shouldn't go into the season feeling we have the best line in acc, I also see what you said isn't exactly the case either.
yeah anyone judging Miami's DL on the bowl performance is either Ignorant, or has an agenda.

We had 2DE's for the game. No backups. Rutgers was a really good running team. Bain played like every snap. When Wayne needed a breather we went to 3 man front.

Mesidor was a Freshman AA at WVU. His season in 2022 he earned some All ACC, and PFF had him as 1st team All ACC DE coming into this past season. Kelly is a future NFL DE. He had 4 sacks as a freshman. He got that nasty ankle injury in 2nd game, that is why he ended up getting shut down. He was a starter prior to injury.

We lose LT to opt out for bowl game, and like brookylndee said we add Clark as a big body DT with some athleticism who can help against the run. Marly Cook was 1st team Conference USA DT in 2022. He has an insane amount of QB pressures.

Alston is a very good veteran pass rusher who was 2nd team All conference.

Mesidor/Wayne
Bain/JHH/Cook/Jones
Clark/Moten/Scott
Kelly/Alston/Lightfoot

That group above is loaded imo, and is the best DL in the ACC. Clemson would be 2nd, FSU/LVille maybe next

Advertisement
yeah anyone judging Miami's DL on the bowl performance is either Ignorant, or has an agenda.

We had 2DE's for the game. No backups. Rutgers was a really good running team. Bain played like every snap. When Wayne needed a breather we went to 3 man front.

Mesidor was a Freshman AA at WVU. His season in 2022 he earned some All ACC, and PFF had him as 1st team All ACC DE coming into this past season. Kelly is a future NFL DE. He had 4 sacks as a freshman. He got that nasty ankle injury in 2nd game, that is why he ended up getting shut down. He was a starter prior to injury.

We lose LT to opt out for bowl game, and like brookylndee said we add Clark as a big body DT with some athleticism who can help against the run. Marly Cook was 1st team Conference USA DT in 2022. He has an insane amount of QB pressures.

Mesidor/Wayne
Bain/JHH/Cook/Jones
Clark/Moten/Scott
Kelly/Alston/Lightfoot

That group above is loaded imo, and is the best DL in the ACC. Clemson would be 2nd, FSU/LVille maybe next

The DL is stout and along with the LBs will be tough to handle. I really like our DEs.

I think our DTs are good but not great. JHH did start making some noise at the end. But not enough. And while I agree Rutgers isn't a useful game to judge the line, I don't get why we didn't see anything from Moten and Horton. That should have been their game to show they were ready.

Mario’s trench recruiting the last 2 cycles has been pretty elite. So far, he’s proven that his rep for being an upper echelon recruiter is not hyperbole. If he can just get better on game day, he can get us where we all want to be.
Keeps recruiting like that it’s not going to matter , talent will eventually take over but I do agree with you . Let’s hope he learned from his mistakes. I still believe Chaney was down but it should have never came to that < example of dumb mistakes

Mesidor/Wayne
Bain/JHH/Cook/Jones
Clark/Moten/Scott
Kelly/Alston/Lightfoot

Do not speak logic bruh, this is the 01 canes DL last year

I’ll do championship games to add further context
4 yr avg. class rankings:

2014 - ✅OSU (4th) v. UO (17th)
2015 - ✅ Bama (1st) v. Clemson (15th)
2016 - ✅ Clemson (12th) v. Bama (1st)
2017 - ✅ Bama (1st) v. UGA (6th)
2018 - ✅ Clemson (11th) v. Bama (2nd)
2019 - ✅ LSU (8th) v. Clemson (11th)
2020 - ✅ Bama (2nd) v. OSU (4th)
2021 - ✅ UGA (T-2nd) v. Bama (T-2nd)
2022 - ✅ UGA (2nd) v. TCU (32nd)
2023 - ✅ UofM (14th) v. UW (33rd)

Out of the last 20 participants in the CFPCG:
60% had a team composition being in the top 10 of recruiting
40% had a team composition being outside the the top 10

70% of the eventual Nat’l Champions had top 10 classes
30% of the eventual Nat’l Champions were outside the top 10

Talent matters; however, to think winning the recruiting wars automatically = a CFP birth and/or a Nat’l Title is foolish. One of the most haterish narratives to justify, pacify, & excuse our struggles is this theory that teams like Bama, OSU, & UGA win so much is just b/c of their roster make up. This is a back handed theory to diminish the coaching abilities of these guys.

I’ve taken a look at classes that rounded out a top 10 composition class over a 4 yr during each of these Nat’l Title Runs, for every Bama, OSU, UGA, we had USC, Texas, Texas A&M, UF, Auburn that were perennial 6-9 win teams. Recruiting is essential, sure, but u need a coach that can coach’em up.
Always spittin’ facts, which is usually a slurper’s bane. I’m sure they’ll try to find a way to create a narrative to dispute your evidence.

Brilliant post!

Advertisement

Mesidor/Wayne
Bain/JHH/Cook/Jones
Clark/Moten/Scott
Kelly/Alston/Lightfoot

Bain. Is. Not. A. DT.
Bain does not want to play DT and have been very vocal about wanting to be an Edge defender. He's had most of his production on the Edge. Why do people want to move him inside so badly.

Advertisement

Mesidor/Wayne
Bain/JHH/Cook/Jones
Clark/Moten/Scott
Kelly/Alston/Lightfoot

And, you're still missing people like Horton, Scott, jones, Blount, mconathy,

Bain. Is. Not. A. DT.
Bain does not want to play DT and have been very vocal about wanting to be an Edge defender. He's had most of his production on the Edge. Why do people want to move him inside so badly.
2 things. He lined up inside some last year, and Guidry came out in a press conference asking what does he think Bains best position will be moving forward, and he said inside.

That isn't me that is the DC.

I also want to be clear, I think he can play edge every down next year, BuT I do think he and Mesidor have position versatility where one can line up at DE one play and then switch the next play. If you want to get the very best 4 DL on field at one time, then Mesidor, Bain, Clark, and Kelly would be my 4.

Also I think the theme of next years defense will be versatility. On the DL and secondary. Body types that can play inside and outside on the DL and long DBs that can play CB, Nickel, and Safety.

Porter-locked in CB
Brown-CB/Nickel
Powell-Nickel/CB/S
Riley-S
Richard-CB/S
Mack-Nickel/CB
Harris-S/Nickel

Advertisement
2 things. He lined up inside some last year, and Guidry came out in a press conference asking what does he think Bains best position will be moving forward, and he said inside.

I also want to be clear, I think he can play edge every down next year, BuT I do think he and Mesidor have position versatility where one can line up at DE one play and then switch the next play. If you want to get the very best 4 DL on field at one time, then Mesidor, Bain, Clark, and Kelly would be my 4.

Also I think the theme of next years defense will be versatility. On the DL and secondary. Body types that can play inside and outside on the DL and long DBs that can play CB, Nickel, and Safety.

Porter-locked in CB
Brown-CB/Nickel
Powell-Nickel/CB/S
Riley-S
Richard-CB/S
Mack-Nickel/CB
Harris-S/Nickel

Can you post the Guidry quote?

Porter-locked in CB
Brown-CB/Nickel
Powell-Nickel/CB/S
Riley-S
Richard-CB/S
Mack-Nickel/CB
Harris-S/Nickel
He lined up inside, as he will definitely have inside packages due to being a dog. But that doesn't change where his production comes from. Guidry can say all he wants...BAIN said he wants to be on the Edge, and he has succeeded there for us. Both Mesidor and Bain want to play on the Edge. The better player will get what they want, and it won't be Mesidor. If we're pushing Bain to play majority of his snaps inside, best believe a transfer very well may be coming

He lined up inside, as he will definitely have inside packages due to being a dog. But that doesn't change where his production comes from. Guidry can say all he wants...BAIN said he wants to be on the Edge, and he has succeeded there for us. Both Mesidor and Bain want to play on the Edge. The better player will get what they want, and it won't be Mesidor. If we're pushing Bain to play majority of his snaps inside, best believe a transfer very well may be coming
Bain had better lower body strength and base than Mesidor that's why I think he could
Be more impactful sliding down, But Mesidor played pretty well at DT for WVU.

Don't get caught up in semantics. Bain and Mesidor are our 2 best DL, and both will play tons of snaps of healthy, and I think move around, both of them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back