Marquise Lightfoot commits to Miami

View as article
Yup, there is an argument that he didn’t develop athletically in college as expected but coming out of HS the kid was a freak. Even then you have to consider that the kid was decimated by injuries and the second he was healthy he was a terror again and became a 1st rounder with just one season. Last note which is on one of his best strengths is motor. Many attribute motor to effort and there is some truth to it but the root of a motor is stamina which is an athletic attribute.

As it pertains to Lightfoot, there is a ton to like there but I think people are really missing the reality that this kid is a bit of a project, not major but he has to be coaches up. The canvas is there though for JT.
When Phillips learned how to actually play DE instead of just relying on his athleticism is when he made the jump from hyped prospect to legit NFL first round talent. At the beginning of the 2020 season he spent the first few games just trying to beat guys around the corner. Around week 3 or 4, he started mixing it up more and playing like a 265lb player instead of a 225 lb player and he was near unstoppable.

Advertisement
I’ll be the first one on here to admit that I really don’t know much about evaluation given the fact that I’ve never played the game.
But I sure have watched a lot of cod**** football.
So I’m going to ask the question “bro what the fcck are you watching”?
Jaylen Phillips at 6’5 240 was lining up at safety and picking six. He was lining up at punt and kickoff return and taking it to the house. He was getting double teamed, and pushing dudes back into the quarterback.
And he played in San Bernardino county better known as inland empire. A lot of talent comes out of there.
Maybe you have a different perspective on what worldly athleticism is but if that doesn’t qualify, then you must be talking about some freaking aliens.
And then you have to add to the fact that the dude stopped playing football, took about a year and a half off of his prime development years, lost about 50 pounds of muscle, self admittedly had an addiction problem, and then came back and worked himself back into a first round draft pick.

But hey everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

Im talking about what i seen at Miami and what i seen in the NFL, not what ge was rated out of high school. Richard Gordon was lining up at KR in college at 260 pounds.

Advertisement
Im talking about what i seen at Miami and what i seen in the NFL, not what ge was rated out of high school. Richard Gordon was lining up at KR in college at 260 pounds.
At EVERY level Jaelan Phillips is a freak, there are not many legit 6'5 250 plus who can run, jump strength like him, dude motor is league known.. If he is anything he is known nationally (on cfb level) and league wide as freak.. He was on Feldmans FREAKS list like his freshman year.

8. Jaelan Phillips, UCLA, DE-OLB

Despite missing almost half of last season because of an ankle injury, the former five-star recruit produced seven TFLs in his debut season. Phillips had another setback after a scooter accident that caused him to have surgery on his hand and wrist this winter. But there is no denying the 6-5, 255-pound edge rusher’s athleticism.

Last spring, he clocked a 4.5 40 and bench pressed 405. He also can do backflips with ease. Maybe more impressive, Phillips was clocked at 21.2 mph this offseason on the GPS tracker. According to NFL’s Next Gen Stats, the fastest ball carrier in the NFL (Leonard Fournette) topped out at 22.05 mpg in 2017. Anything over 21 mph is flying … especially for someone as big as Phillips.

In what world is a guy who measures in at 6'5.5, 260 lbs, runs 4.5 speed, 36 in vert, plays with incredible motor, strong heavy hands and holds point of attack and has chiseled frame not a freak.. Maybe you just have different definition of what the word actually means.. Very rare for people to have that type of size and speed anywhere and its not a surprise he was #1 player coming out of high school and even with injury history in cfb STILL go in first round with one covid season..

22 mph..
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I dont get how lightfoot and ny Carr arent 5 stars. well I do. they committed to us lol

Love him or hate him (I have very ambivalent feelings about him at the moment), Mario recruits high level talent. This class has some ballers in it.

Advertisement
Back