Marquez Williams Signs 4 Yr Contract with Jags

Don't entirely understand this but very, very happy!

Can you expound on that a little?

Sure. But first: hands up, don't shoot.

He was a one year D1 player with limited film who only started in ~5 games and didn't get all that much burn.

I should have said this was "unexpected" -- not that I don't get it, because I do. Marquez is strong and tough and moves well for his size; great combo to open holes for Fournette. I think the Jags were smart and it was a good pick. Perhaps Richt could have leaned on him more. I just expected him to land somewhere as an UFA.

Fair?
https://youtu.be/is4QewMv4UU
That's plenty of film for a FB

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Mane, I'm drunk watching this ****.... @ 9:17 I'm thinking, when did we play Temple

Advertisement
Somehow our own members of this board turn somebody saying the kid signed a 4 year deal for a few million into something they don't understand & are fighting about it. ******* clowns.

I'll take a little license here . . . If you were a GM would you have drafted MW? I believe that was the point. He didn't bash MW. He said he didn't understand. Whats not to understand you say? Well the league isn't exactly a running league anymore. How many teams keep a fullback on the roster?

I don't understand how one poster says he doesn't understand and then folks go holier than though on his ***. Why? He didn't say anything bad about MW.

The minute MW ran a 4.5 he was getting drafted.

He was a one year D1 player with limited film who only started in ~5 games and didn't get all that much burn.

I should have said this was "unexpected" -- not that I don't get it, because I do. Marquez is strong and tough and moves well for his size; great combo to open holes for Fournette. I think the Jags were smart and it was a good pick. Perhaps Richt could have leaned on him more. I just expected him to land somewhere as an UFA.

Fair?

Mane, I'm drunk watching this ****.... @ 9:17 I'm thinking, when did we play Temple

Marquez was a physical as5 players for us. Glad he got the chance to make some money in the league now after transferring to miami

Rick should attach that tweet about Marquez to his panhandling tweet. Marquez would be getting fitted for a brown UPS jumpsuit with a 23" inseam if he had stayed at Mars Hill.

Advertisement

Fair?

Let me break this down for you.

It's the :neonu: effect.

umm... okay.. keep thinking it the 80s..

orrr... it could be Jacksonville desperately trying to improve their running game (that fail with yet another Bama RB, go figure) and their team by keeping the ball outta Bortles hands as much as possible.

Classic said nothing wrong.. we only used him for 5-6 games then we randomly went to the RPO offense with Kaaya at QB and after going after a JUCO FB.. but I'm glad the guy got drafted to a place that will actually use him more then we did.

Yeah, you don't get it.

70k gets spread over 4 years.. so he gets $17,500 each year he stays on the team. I seem him like a Le'Ron McClain type...

It gets spread over 4 years for the Jags on their salary cap.

But I'm almost certain Williams gets all $70K when he signs.

Yeap. I think that is why it is called a signing bonus. It is the 2.4 million that he needs to stay on team for, unless some of it is guaranteed

I guess it says something for position scarce-ness. The list of quality fullbacks in college is a short one.

Fair?

Marquez was a physical as5 players for us. Glad he got the chance to make some money in the league now after transferring to miami
That i formation @ 10:52 tho.... That was a easy touchdown if Brad could peep it

Advertisement
Williams isn't the only Mars Hill player on the J'ville roster, Khalid Abdullah went there also.

While talent evaluation has gotten better, you still have quite a few kids that slip through the cracks.

He got drafted because Jacksonville saw his value. They didn't want to take the chance that any other team would pick him up as an UFA. He fits exactly what they want to do which is pound the rock with Fournette. Quez is going have a very nice career if he stays in Jacksonville with Fournette.

What you didn't see or recognize is that he was underutilized here at Miami. Also, the poor OL play overshadowed the good work he put in. However, Jacksonville saw in Quez what is perfect for their team needs.

Quez can become the 2nd coming of Lorenzo Neal!!!

Advertisement
He was terrible here.

Yeah but he was 5'4 and weighed 300 pounds and played FB, which is every idiot fan's favorite position because they think it makes them look knowledgeable real football guys to talk about how important FBs are.

We need a fullback on the field like we need a freaking bag on our hip. ******* retire this position already.

Advertisement
Congratulations, Marquez!

No reason to turn this into a fan-stick measuring contest or ****ing match over the merits of the fullback, or how smart or dumb Jacksonville is.

Another Cane got drafted and paid. Enough said.

What I don't understand is why the Jaguars are thinking that building a power run game is the cure for what ails them... What good does it do you to be able to pound the rock when you're always getting blown out?

Good for Marquez though. For his sake, I hope I'm wrong about Fournette's NFL career. Go 'Canes!

While certainly a lot of money, this is peanuts in the NFL. All this tells you about Jacksonville is that they secured a lead blocker for their 1st round draft pick if the situation calls for one.

What I don't understand is why the Jaguars are thinking that building a power run game is the cure for what ails them... What good does it do you to be able to pound the rock when you're always getting blown out?

Good for Marquez though. For his sake, I hope I'm wrong about Fournette's NFL career. Go 'Canes!

Well, the air-it-out offense hasn't worked for them. Coughlin being old school, I'm sure he feels a ball-control offense would yield better results. Especially if they don't think BoRtles is the guy.

Advertisement
Back