Marques Gayot to the U

Advertisement
I like the pick up. He may not be a crazy athlete but at least he's physical and knows how to tackle.

Advertisement
Just to end this convo about him being moved to linebacker...Heres his DB coach in high school

Klabon says he thinks Gayot will play either strong safety or outside linebacker at Miami.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him to outside linebacker because with his size you'd hate to take that out of the middle of the field," Klabon said.

Klabon adds "He's so football smart that I think he'll adjust to the college level pretty well. He already watches college film. He's been preparing for the college level really for a couple of years now mentally. And he has the frame that he'll get in the weight room and they'll put 20 pounds on him easy. I think he'll transition into a college player quickly."

Advertisement
Just to end this convo about him being moved to linebacker...Heres his DB coach in high school

Klabon says he thinks Gayot will play either strong safety or outside linebacker at Miami.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him to outside linebacker because with his size you'd hate to take that out of the middle of the field," Klabon said.

Klabon adds "He's so football smart that I think he'll adjust to the college level pretty well. He already watches college film. He's been preparing for the college level really for a couple of years now mentally. And he has the frame that he'll get in the weight room and they'll put 20 pounds on him easy. I think he'll transition into a college player quickly."

I get your post but we only have 3 scholarship safeties. Their is a bigger need for him to stay at safety and we also needs a safety that can come up and knock the **** out of people.

I get your post but we only have 3 scholarship safeties. Their is a bigger need for him to stay at safety and we also needs a safety that can come up and knock the **** out of people.

I hear you... but he too slow to play 15 yards off the line..I can see that on film.... If we play a true strong safety then maybe yeah...but we dont do that....He's a linebacker dude all the way

He'll make the move just like Beason made the move. Not the same player, but the same type of player.

If his own high school coach is saying he will most likely move to LB (coaches most of the time overrate their players) that means thats the best position for the kid. You dont keep someone at a position who might not excel there. Can he play safety, sure. But if his coach says he might be better off at LB, that makes me pay attention

Advertisement

If his own high school coach is saying he will most likely move to LB (coaches most of the time overrate their players) that means thats the best position for the kid. You dont keep someone at a position who might not excel there. Can he play safety, sure. But if his coach says he might be better off at LB, that makes me pay attention

I definitely understand that, but he might have to bite the bullet his first year and stay at safety until we can bring in some new personnel. Also, Gayot is not a finished product. It's possible for he to gain speed and more muscle in a college workout/lifting program. Let's not right safety off too soon because the coaches are obviously recruiting him as a safety being that he has taken an interest in recruiting Hester another safety to team up with. That's just my viewpoint, I could be wrong and you could be right.

Advertisement

True, but if a guy isnt a fit to play the position, than he just isnt fit for the position. That is how we end up with kids like Highsmith on the field. Now Gayot is way better than Highsmith, but lets be honest here, his speed will be a liability at safety. On the other hand he has the frame to bulk up to 230 and then his speed will be an asset at LB.

True, but if a guy isnt a fit to play the position, than he just isnt fit for the position. That is how we end up with kids like Highsmith on the field. Now Gayot is way better than Highsmith, but lets be honest here, his speed will be a liability at safety. On the other hand he has the frame to bulk up to 230 and then his speed will be an asset at LB.

Highsmith? Not a good comparison. Qb position to safety. Safety to linebacker. ? And, your basing that off highsmith. How about dj williams. ?

Highsmith? Not a good comparison. Qb position to safety. Safety to linebacker. ? And, your basing that off highsmith. How about dj williams. ?

I said he is way better than Highsmith, but it was an example of what happens when you dont have adequate speed at safety. Also DJ was a LB coming out HS, dont see your point there. You can tell the kid just doesnt have the speed to play safety, its obvious, doesnt mean he wont contribute elsewhere, but lets not try to push a square peg through a circle. I know we need safeties, but I just dont see it with this kid. We do need LBs though, and that is where he fits in best IMHO.

This seems like the type of player that the negative crew will hate on Golden about as a project if we take him, but a local guy we missed if he leaves and goes elsewhere and produces.

So, since there appear to be potentially valid concerns regarding his projections at safety, do you think he will be a good linebacker at the University of Miami?

Advertisement
Back