Marques Gayot to the U

This seems like the type of player that the negative crew will hate on Golden about as a project if we take him, but a local guy we missed if he leaves and goes elsewhere and produces.

So, since there appear to be potentially valid concerns regarding his projections at safety, do you think he will be a good linebacker at the University of Miami?

If he can bulk up to 230, I think so.....

Advertisement
This seems like the type of player that the negative crew will hate on Golden about as a project if we take him, but a local guy we missed if he leaves and goes elsewhere and produces.

So, since there appear to be potentially valid concerns regarding his projections at safety, do you think he will be a good linebacker at the University of Miami?

I think he's going be a pretty good player here. His aggressiveness is much needed here plus ball instincts will help in the LB/S role.

IMO kid will start out at Safety due to need, but will eventually outgrow the position like Beason(as another poster mentioned) and be a quick WLB who can cover and hit.

His HS coach even said he def sees him adding at least 20 lbs in college so that means LB unless he has Sean Taylor type athleticism(which he does not).

Remember how effective a player like Sean Spence was(as a Fr.) at 200/205 lbs playing WLB(he left as a Sr. at 230 lbs at the most).

One thing is for sure, this kid will be an assassin on special teams early on in his career.

This was also from the canesport article on him from his HS coach:

"As a high school freshman Gayot set a school record with 11 interceptions, and he has 32 career interceptions. This season he finished with 23 tackles, five for losses, and five interceptions."

11 INTs as a Fr. WOW!!!

Understandable that teams stayed away from his side the rest of his HS career.

I love the pick up and the fact that he is helping to recruit Hester the day he committed.

I know I said that I would rather get 1 Safety this year and load up next year, but you can't pass up on defensive players like Gayot and Hester especially when one(Gayot) looks like he will end up at WLB, so we will still have a favorable depth chart at Safety for the super studs coming out next year in Tim Irvin(S/CB/WR), Jaquan Johnson(S), Kembrell McFadden(S) and SBB(S/WR).

IMO kid will start out at Safety due to need, but will eventually outgrow the position like Beason(as another poster mentioned) and be a quick WLB who can cover and hit.

His HS coach even said he def sees him adding at least 20 lbs in college so that means LB unless he has Sean Taylor type athleticism(which he does not).

Remember how effective a player like Sean Spence was(as a Fr.) at 200/205 lbs playing WLB(he left as a Sr. at 230 lbs at the most).

One thing is for sure, this kid will be an assassin on special teams early on in his career.

This was also from the canesport article on him from his HS coach:

"As a high school freshman Gayot set a school record with 11 interceptions, and he has 32 career interceptions. This season he finished with 23 tackles, five for losses, and five interceptions."

11 INTs as a Fr. WOW!!!

Understandable that teams stayed away from his side the rest of his HS career.

I love the pick up and the fact that he is helping to recruit Hester the day he committed.

I know I said that I would rather get 1 Safety this year and load up next year, but you can't pass up on defensive players like Gayot and Hester especially when one(Gayot) looks like he will end up at WLB, so we will still have a favorable depth chart at Safety for the super studs coming out next year in Tim Irvin(S/CB/WR), Jaquan Johnson(S), Kembrell McFadden(S) and SBB(S/WR).

My gut feeling is that the coaches will give him a legitimate shot at safety and if he is too slow they will move him to LB by the middle of camp. They will probably redshirt him is he is moved to LB.

Now lets lock up Kiy Hester and JC Jackson and this defensive backfield becomes scary when you think about Nigel Bethel, Deon Bush, Tracy Howard, Antonio Crawford, Rayshawn Jenkins, Artie Burns and the possibility of adding players like Tim Irvin, Jaquan Johnson, Kembrell McFadden, Tyrek Cole, and SBB next year.:eekeyes:

Advertisement
Just to end this convo about him being moved to linebacker...Heres his DB coach in high school

Klabon says he thinks Gayot will play either strong safety or outside linebacker at Miami.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him to outside linebacker because with his size you'd hate to take that out of the middle of the field," Klabon said.

Klabon adds "He's so football smart that I think he'll adjust to the college level pretty well. He already watches college film. He's been preparing for the college level really for a couple of years now mentally. And he has the frame that he'll get in the weight room and they'll put 20 pounds on him easy. I think he'll transition into a college player quickly."

I get your post but we only have 3 scholarship safeties. Their is a bigger need for him to stay at safety and we also needs a safety that can come up and knock the **** out of people.

True, but if a guy isnt a fit to play the position, than he just isnt fit for the position. That is how we end up with kids like Highsmith on the field. Now Gayot is way better than Highsmith, but lets be honest here, his speed will be a liability at safety. On the other hand he has the frame to bulk up to 230 and then his speed will be an asset at LB.

Highsmith? Not a good comparison. Qb position to safety. Safety to linebacker. ? And, your basing that off highsmith. How about dj williams. ?

I said he is way better than Highsmith, but it was an example of what happens when you dont have adequate speed at safety. Also DJ was a LB coming out HS, dont see your point there. You can tell the kid just doesnt have the speed to play safety, its obvious, doesnt mean he wont contribute elsewhere, but lets not try to push a square peg through a circle. I know we need safeties, but I just dont see it with this kid. We do need LBs though, and that is where he fits in best IMHO.

My bad. I missed the "waaaay" better than highsmith. Which, highsmith? ***** qb in high schoil?

I get your post but we only have 3 scholarship safeties. Their is a bigger need for him to stay at safety and we also needs a safety that can come up and knock the **** out of people.

True, but if a guy isnt a fit to play the position, than he just isnt fit for the position. That is how we end up with kids like Highsmith on the field. Now Gayot is way better than Highsmith, but lets be honest here, his speed will be a liability at safety. On the other hand he has the frame to bulk up to 230 and then his speed will be an asset at LB.

Highsmith? Not a good comparison. Qb position to safety. Safety to linebacker. ? And, your basing that off highsmith. How about dj williams. ?

I said he is way better than Highsmith, but it was an example of what happens when you dont have adequate speed at safety. Also DJ was a LB coming out HS, dont see your point there. You can tell the kid just doesnt have the speed to play safety, its obvious, doesnt mean he wont contribute elsewhere, but lets not try to push a square peg through a circle. I know we need safeties, but I just dont see it with this kid. We do need LBs though, and that is where he fits in best IMHO.

My bad. I missed the "waaaay" better than highsmith. Which, highsmith? ***** qb in high schoil?

Point is. Im stickin up for this dude for ******* hatin on a mufukin commit. A miami commit. Im stickin up for a dude commiting to us. Jim beam. All rights reserved. You good.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ulbeat/2013/12/17/how-louisville-lost-a-recruit-to-miami/

Recruits change their minds all the time, even ones who seem entirely sold on the original school to which they’ve pledged to play. It’s happened a few times in recent weeks, now that coaches are back out on the recruiting trail and feverishly working to complete their classes. One Louisville commit flipped his decision at the end of last week. Why?

Let me start with this caveat: I know Marques Gayot pretty well. I’ve talked to his dad. Worked closely with his high school team’s booster club president. Spent a lot of hours chatting with his high school coach. I covered him and his high school team for three years in South Florida.

By all accounts and from all of my interactions with Gayot, he’s an intelligent kid who is mature for his age, which makes his decommitment from Louisville and commitment to Miami not your typical all-about-me teenager move. There’s more to it than that.

Gayot told me back in July how much he loved Louisville. His dad was in awe of the city. They loved their unofficial visit over the summer. His coach, Brian Dodds, probably felt awfully repetitive every time we talked about Gayot, because he kept saying how solid Gayot’s commitment was.

So naturally I was a bit surprised when Gayot committed to Miami on Friday. He said he wasn’t going to the Russell Athletic Bowl despite the fact that both schools in his final two were playing one another. He insisted he’d take an official visit to Louisville in January and seemed excited about the Cards.

But the ‘Canes were relentless in their pursuit of him, and the promise of immediate playing time and a December in-home visit swayed his commitment. Gayot was a frequent visitor of the Coral Gables campus and the 90-minute drive (120 if you drive at any time that isn’t nuts) was a big factor for his parents.

So I emailed Dodds and asked for his version of events. Here’s what he said:

“Miami has been on his mind since spring and, to my knowledge, they didn’t use the Texas rumor to get him to switch,” Dodds started. “I think his family was a big part of it. When his mother and father started to get involved and they went to visit Miami because of the proximity, I think Marques felt more comfortable. They also told him that they have no safeties left and he would get an opportunity right away. I also think that in his mind committing to the U is more meaningful, especially here in South Florida. He did love Louisville, but mom and dad didn’t visit, so I think that was a factor.”

This kid is a Ray Ray type tweener who should bulk up, play specials for a year, give S depth and then move to LB after a season.

Advertisement
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ulbeat/2013/12/17/how-louisville-lost-a-recruit-to-miami/

Recruits change their minds all the time, even ones who seem entirely sold on the original school to which they’ve pledged to play. It’s happened a few times in recent weeks, now that coaches are back out on the recruiting trail and feverishly working to complete their classes. One Louisville commit flipped his decision at the end of last week. Why?

Let me start with this caveat: I know Marques Gayot pretty well. I’ve talked to his dad. Worked closely with his high school team’s booster club president. Spent a lot of hours chatting with his high school coach. I covered him and his high school team for three years in South Florida.

By all accounts and from all of my interactions with Gayot, he’s an intelligent kid who is mature for his age, which makes his decommitment from Louisville and commitment to Miami not your typical all-about-me teenager move. There’s more to it than that.

Gayot told me back in July how much he loved Louisville. His dad was in awe of the city. They loved their unofficial visit over the summer. His coach, Brian Dodds, probably felt awfully repetitive every time we talked about Gayot, because he kept saying how solid Gayot’s commitment was.

So naturally I was a bit surprised when Gayot committed to Miami on Friday. He said he wasn’t going to the Russell Athletic Bowl despite the fact that both schools in his final two were playing one another. He insisted he’d take an official visit to Louisville in January and seemed excited about the Cards.

But the ‘Canes were relentless in their pursuit of him, and the promise of immediate playing time and a December in-home visit swayed his commitment. Gayot was a frequent visitor of the Coral Gables campus and the 90-minute drive (120 if you drive at any time that isn’t nuts) was a big factor for his parents.

“Miami has been on his mind since spring and, to my knowledge, they didn’t use the Texas rumor to get him to switch,” Dodds started. “I think his family was a big part of it. When his mother and father started to get involved and they went to visit Miami because of the proximity, I think Marques felt more comfortable. They also told him that they have no safeties left and he would get an opportunity right away. I also think that in his mind committing to the U is more meaningful, especially here in South Florida. He did love Louisville, but mom and dad didn’t visit, so I think that was a factor.”

Funny that the article echos what I've been saying for 3 months despite being told we weren't recruiting him.

Funny that the article echos what I've been saying for 3 months despite being told we weren't recruiting him.

"Not recruiting"....."relentlessly recruiting".....same difference.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back