Mark Richt hosting mega "Paradise Camp"

View as article
LOL at complaining about the camp name and being caught up in "branding." The last HC was all about turning dumb phrases and hashtags. How'd that go?

And why the fck is Friday Night Lights, which was a TV show, and has nothing to do with Gainesville better than Paradise? The Gathering? That's priceless.

It's very similar to "The Opening". So far the list of attendees is underwhelming considering most of them are already committed. As Pete alluded to some kids are going to be flying in "under the radar" because they're committed doesn't exactly instill confidence this is a marquee event kids are excited to attend....at least not publicly anyway.

Advertisement
LOL at complaining about the camp name and being caught up in "branding." The last HC was all about turning dumb phrases and hashtags. How'd that go?

And why the fck is Friday Night Lights, which was a TV show, and has nothing to do with Gainesville better than Paradise? The Gathering? That's priceless.

It's very similar to "The Opening". So far the list of attendees is underwhelming considering most of them are already committed. As Pete alluded to some kids are going to be flying in "under the radar" because they're committed doesn't exactly instill confidence this is a marquee event kids are excited to attend....at least not publicly anyway.
I'm sure changing the name of the camp will change all that. Or maybe winning and building relationships the way Richt does will change things around here.

I have a feeling there will be an awful lot of blue-chippers here at Paradise, and none will hold the name against us.

You don't think Bama had a bunch of kids that flew "under the radar" at their camps?? It's their first year doing it, Golden's camps never excited anybody, and we haven't done anything in 10+ years...Nick didn't just walk into Alabama in '07 and got the '08 class by saying "Hi I'm Nick Saban, I just went 6-10 with the dolphins, coached the biggest bust in history at LSU, and won a championship a couple years ago" He had to convince those kids after going 7-6 that he was going to turn it around

Last edited:
Advertisement
It just sounds soft and corny to me.

Paradise Camp sounds like a homosexual getaway.

Last edited:

I'm sure changing the name of the camp will change all that. Or maybe winning and building relationships the way Richt does will change things around here.

I have a feeling there will be an awful lot of blue-chippers here at Paradise, and none will hold the name against us.

Ya i feel ya, just felt UM is still slipping a bit on the promotional side. One of the spring camps was held the same day as a competing nike opening camp in Florida and most of the spring camp interviews were conducted next blaring speakers so u can barely hear what the coaches are saying. They'll get it right eventually.

You don't think Bama had a bunch of kids that flew "under the radar" at their camps?? It's their first year doing it, Golden's camps never excited anybody, and we haven't done anything in 10+ years...Nick didn't just walk into Alabama in '07 and got the '08 class by saying "Hi I'm Nick Saban, I just went 6-10 with the dolphins and coached the biggest bust in history at LSU" He had to convince those kids after going 7-6 that he was going to turn it around

Flying under the radar seem wholly unnecessary for a summer "CAMP", we're not talking official visits here. Were talking about practice man (in my best iverson voice). BTW nick sabans camp is called NICK SABAN CAMP not alabama bbq and watering hole day.

Advertisement

You don't think Bama had a bunch of kids that flew "under the radar" at their camps?? It's their first year doing it, Golden's camps never excited anybody, and we haven't done anything in 10+ years...Nick didn't just walk into Alabama in '07 and got the '08 class by saying "Hi I'm Nick Saban, I just went 6-10 with the dolphins and coached the biggest bust in history at LSU" He had to convince those kids after going 7-6 that he was going to turn it around

Flying under the radar seem wholly unnecessary for a summer "CAMP", we're not talking official visits here. Were talking about practice man (in my best iverson voice). BTW nick sabans camp is called NICK SABAN CAMP not alabama bbq and watering hole day.

Do you actually think it was named that back in '08 or '09?? Or did he name it that when his name became instantaneously combined with championships?

Richt will be hosting Miami's annual "Catergory 5" Camp for the areas top talent........

The Categroy 5 would coincide with 5 star/Top talent being invited.

Sounds like a pretty cool hurricanes camp to me.

Do you actually think it was named that back in '08 or '09?? Or did he name it that when his name became instantaneously combined with championships?

His 2008 class was loaded, regardless of his college record he was still an NFL coach coming to alabama team that hadn't done anything in a long time.

Reexamining the booms and busts of Alabama's landmark 2008 recruiting class | AL.com

Elite prospects to visit for last camp of summer | TuscaloosaNews.com

Last edited:
Richt will be hosting Miami's annual "Catergory 5" Camp for the areas top talent........

The Categroy 5 would coincide with 5 star/Top talent being invited.

Sounds like a pretty cool hurricanes camp to me.

This guy gets it. Perfect name.

Advertisement

His 2008 class was loaded, regardless of his college record he was still an NFL coach coming to alabama team that hadn't done anything in a long time.

Reexamining the booms and busts of Alabama's landmark 2008 recruiting class | AL.com

No kidding it was loaded, hence why I was talking about that specific class...again do you think he went into parents homes and went " Hi I'm Nick, I failed in the NFL, coached the biggest bust in history, and I'm four years removed from winning a championship plus we're coming off sanctions" Those kids didn't go to him because He was Nick Saban because the legend of Nick Saban didn't exist back then

No kidding it was loaded, hence why I was talking about that specific class...again do you think he went into parents homes and went " Hi I'm Nick, I failed in the NFL, coached the biggest bust in history, and I'm four years removed from winning a championship plus we're coming off sanctions" Those kids didn't go to him because He was Nick Saban because the legend of Nick Saban didn't exist back then

4 years removed from an NCAA championship means you're still doing better than 99.5% of your competition (how many coaches have won a title in the last 15 years? 7 or 8?. He didn't exactly fail in the NFL either. Gus Ferrote, Cleo Lemon, and Joey harrington were his QB's and then the GM made the worst mistake ever in picking culpepper over brees. Saban saw the writing on the wall after that.

Advertisement
I don't get why people think we need to have a similar name to DawgNights or FridayNightLights.
Or, wait, I think I do, and it's all about this obsession with the SEC.
We are the University of Miami, we don't need to ape those schools.
We should want to call it whatever the he!! we want, and it should be unique anyways because
this school is unique when comparing to those mundane horsesht schools in horsesht towns.

Advertisement
Back