Mark Pope and Dee Wiggins to enter the transfer portal

Advertisement
Was he a Cane?

I get what your saying. I got more love for my canes tho. Just a fact

Thank u for ur honesty. This is what it boils down to, however; when a kid doesn’t rep the U to the best of their abilities & decide to leave, I don’t consider them Canes.

But, on another note, this goes back to my gripe of devaluing education. It’s extremely hard to get an athletic scholarship, but it’s even harder to make the NFL, & it’s a miracle to have a career over 4 yrs in the league. These young men need to understand that the path to greatness starts in the classroom.

Too many ppl telling these kids they r the next this or that, while the recruiting process have these kids thinking they r future NFL stars. It don’t work like that, & I really wish some could be more dedicated to their craft while focusing on studies. Pope, for all his god-given abilities, appeared to not put in the time & effort to grow those further. It absolutely hurt my heart to hear Harley, out of his own mouth, speak on the lack of dedication in the WR room & not taking things seriously.

That’s why I asked “why do we have to ‘feel’ for the kid?” Blown chances & opportunities r usually self inflicted.

Last edited:
I'll buy that he wasn't a 5-star. But if he had worked his *** off, he would have done just fine at a P5 program. The bad eval was more on his level of commitment than his god-given abilities.

So I agree it's on Pope. But how many of us have f-ed up like that? The vasssssttttt majority of us never even tried to begin with. I wish him the best and hope he figures it out. Just like I wished Bradley Jennings, Scott Patchan, Brian Hightower, etc. the best.

Guys get passed up for whatever reason, some talent, some work ethic. Doesn't mean they're not worth having good will towards.

Advertisement
Not true. He can absolutely create seperation and is explosive enough for the likes of JSU. Is he upper level P5 level ability? No. But to say he cant hack it at JSU which probably doesnt have 1 kid on their roster outside of Travis Hunter who could make FIUs scout team, is a stretch. Popes problem is he is small and cant catch. And isnt mentally tough. WRs have to be mentally tough to survive and hes not. And of course, if you cant catch, I dont care where you go to try and play..your not going to hack it. Even at JSU.
problem is he is small and cant catch

Seems like a meningful problem for college wr

Advertisement
The evaluation has more to do with the mental side then whether or not he has the talent to play college level football. Because If he had Mike Harleys mental fortitude and overall mentality… Pope would still be at Miami.

Maybe there were other red flags that everyone missed while recruiting him but he has the speed you can’t teach.
Agree to disagree u either got the goods or u don't have the goods and that's it to me. He couldn't catch he played like a 4 star what he should of been. Even though some places had him as a five star blue bloods (while they recruited him) didn't bust the door down open with the brinks truck for. Our main comp was UF and their evals were as ****** as our for a long time. Their evals are still pretty ******. When I think of old Miami I think of difference makers and he ain't that even with 20 heads on his shoulder.

I hate that they put head on straight excuses. U can say that for Jeff Thomas cause u can see the skills. But if he had his head on straight went to bama they would pass him on the depth chart and he would transfer same ****. Pope wasnt even close in terms of talent to JT but he was rated higher I believe or on some sites. Different levels of gifts between the two. Head on head off they were what they were.....JT had serious issues off the field though. Where as if Pope had the real Popes head he would still be what he is.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We're beating dead horses when they're down and raining on dreams in here. It's the mixed metaphors thread. I guess the grass isn't greener on the other foot.

Advertisement
Because whatever dream this kid had of the NFL is either shattered or nearly shattered. That has to suck.

While it has to suck and I'm usually on this bandwagon, he should've just stuck it out and finished his degree. He'll be lucky if anyone picks him up at this point. This likely was his last chance. I don't know if someone was in his ear to try somewhere else or not, but I have a hard time believing everyone around him wasn't saying stick it out as you're going pro in something besides football. This was a dumbass decision on his part.

I live on the Gulf Coast. Jackson is the biggest :****: hole in Mississippi. People cant get out of that city fast enough. Highest crime. Highest poverty city per capita in the state. My wife wont drive through Jackson when she goes to visit our daughter at Ole Miss.

they're barely in a drought according to that, what in the...

edit: n/m read the article

Advertisement
Back