Mark Pope and Dee Wiggins to enter the transfer portal

Pope spoke to Canesport today. Said he has already heard from Indiana, Jackson State, Virginia and Pitt. A bunch of others started following him. Feels he needs to get out of Miami and get a fresh start. Said he always felt pressure to perform or else get benched. He got inside his own head too much.

I think we forget he had 3 different WR coaches (Dugans, Stubblefield, Likens), 3 different OCs (Richt, Enos and Lashlee) and for a kid who struggled to learn the system, it was too much.
Till Next Year GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Advertisement
Pope spoke to Canesport today. Said he has already heard from Indiana, Jackson State, Virginia and Pitt. A bunch of others started following him. Feels he needs to get out of Miami and get a fresh start. Said he always felt pressure to perform or else get benched. He got inside his own head too much.

I think we forget he had 3 different WR coaches (Dugans, Stubblefield, Likens), 3 different OCs (Richt, Enos and Lashlee) and for a kid who struggled to learn the system, it was too much.
What should happen if you don’t perform???

He got plenty of leeway and chances

Hope 6 & 8 go elsewhere and discover what made them such intriguing prospects and they ball out. I harbor no animosity to either of them, but specifically in Pope's case (only because his comments are all we have right now), that he said he doesn't know why he wasn't getting any snaps this year tells me he still hasn't put it all together and there's little reason to believe he will anywhere else.

I doubt he's getting legit P5 interest. Places like JSU might be a good spot for him. Big time P5 football is certainly not for everyone. Wish him the best.

Advertisement

you cant have it both ways with criticism of the staff, manny and staff are known for letting players continue playing in spite of fatal mistakes

He couldn't hold onto the ball with all 3 different WR coaches. Is it the 3 coaches or is it the player? He should have been given incentives to leave last year, not in the middle of our season. The kid needs to step down to the Junior leagues and actually hold onto the ball.

Next we’ll hear , I’ll just declare for the NFL , it’ll be different there and I perform without any pressure LOLOLOL

Advertisement

If you’ve ever been in a sales position with high expectations to perform, you can understand this mindset. I’ve known guys who were good performers but talked themselves out of the job because they were so hyper focused on what they didn’t do (drops) and the imagined shadow of a manager over their shoulder. In those cases “I feel like I’m about to get fired” is debilitating, even if they were never actually about to get axed a question. You see 20 year sales vets do this to themselves, I have no trouble believing Pope or Wiggins doing it, even while the truth is that they stayed in despite all the drops.

I hope both of these young men succeed, so long as it isn’t against Miami (or doesn’t cost us, I should say). It’s very easy for us to celebrate and applaud 18 year olds when they “do the right thing” and spurn the SEC to stay local. It’s (oddly enough) much more difficult to wish them success when they don’t reach our expectations. I want people to succeed, I want them to succeed, so go get a fresh start and make something of yourselves. Everything important is still in front of you.

I wish Pope the best. But, did Ferman really post an interview allowing the kid to act like he was getting yanked after every mistake? That isn’t close to reality. He got a bunch of opportunities after repeatedly failing.

Not sure what the need to interview him was. We moved on after giving him years worth of chances. Hope he finds success somewhere but he didn’t fail at Miami for a lack of opportunities.

Advertisement
I wish Pope the best. But, did Ferman really post an interview allowing the kid to act like he was getting yanked after every mistake? That isn’t close to reality. He got a bunch of opportunities after repeatedly failing.

Not sure what the need to interview him was. We moved on after giving him years worth of chances. Hope he finds success somewhere but he didn’t fail at Miami for a lack of opportunities.
Some quotes from Pope:

"It was a lot of trust issues,” Pope said. “I was on thin ice every time, like if I get in the game and mess up, drop a ball, you’re getting out. It’s not `You dropped a ball, it’s alright, get back in there.’ So I was on thin ice playing for Miami. Instead of just going out and playing football I was in my head a lot. I feel like everything wasn’t (the fault of) Miami, I made a few errors out there, too. But as far as me playing, I felt I was on thin ice. I wasn’t comfortable out there. I could tell I was in my head and other people saw that as well.”

"So I just feel like getting away, that’ll be a good step for me. One of my biggest fears is just being alone, being far away from home, but I also can probably focus better that way. You never know what the outcome might be being away.”

Pope says when he departed it was essentially a mutual decision - he says there was no pushback from Cane coaches asking him to stay.

Some quotes from Pope:

"It was a lot of trust issues,” Pope said. “I was on thin ice every time, like if I get in the game and mess up, drop a ball, you’re getting out. It’s not `You dropped a ball, it’s alright, get back in there.’ So I was on thin ice playing for Miami. Instead of just going out and playing football I was in my head a lot. I feel like everything wasn’t (the fault of) Miami, I made a few errors out there, too. But as far as me playing, I felt I was on thin ice. I wasn’t comfortable out there. I could tell I was in my head and other people saw that as well.”

"So I just feel like getting away, that’ll be a good step for me. One of my biggest fears is just being alone, being far away from home, but I also can probably focus better that way. You never know what the outcome might be being away.”

Pope says when he departed it was essentially a mutual decision - he says there was no pushback from Cane coaches asking him to stay.
Classic Ferman. Anything to get a shot in on the program. Winning streak? Let’s hit ‘em with a Mark Pope trust issue interview.

Advertisement
I’m confused here. Nothing against either, but they didn’t show enough to have an argument for playing time. I’m not sure what it is they think they’ll get elsewhere. I guess they could go to a team suck enough they won’t care about things like dropped passes?

Some quotes from Pope:

You didnt even post the real excerpt that had me confused.

Pope said this dandy....

"
Then this year he was passed by on the depth chart by Key'Shawn Smith and transfer Charleston Rambo.

Pope saw the writing on the wall and made the decision to transfer.

I can’t even tell you why I did not play this year, why I did not get a snap at Miami this year - I really don’t know,” said Pope, who remains enrolled and on track to graduate before enrolling somewhere else. “I mean, I’m past that. I’m ready to find a new home, get back on my journey.”

WTF does he mean by he did not know why he aint play this year.?.
This is the type of lack of self awareness we have going on. Lol @ Trust issues...n being on thin ice...You shouldnt even played as much as you did...and you cant catch and was misranked as a 5 star recruit.

Pope need to go to an Group of 5 or FCS Air Raid type of offense that slings it around.

Take a lesson from the original Matrix, sometimes you're just not The One in this lifetime. I hope Pope and Wiggins find their second life elsewhere, It wasn't happening at Miami.

Advertisement
Back