• I’m in wait and see mode. But not angry

Votes: 39 14.6%
  • Should have kept Manny

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bird4um

Sophomore
Premium
Mario has been in charge around 6 months?
Seen his work ethic and coaching hires.
Seen him speak.

What say you?

Advertisement
6 months? It hasn’t even been 4 yet.

i had no preference for the HC other than them not being a first timer and the move made sense. Mario was the best option that was coming here. But it’s not just Mario, it’s also the AD hire as well, and the dedication that Frenk has finally put into the program.

The only thing I haven’t loved so far was the hire of Steele. Other than that, he hasn’t missed. Shermar wasn’t his fault.

Obviously, though, what really matters is how we look in September.

Advertisement
I can’t lie….At first, I was on the Lane Train because I didn’t think that there was ANY WAY that the BOT would give Mario all the concessions that he was reportedly asking for. I felt that Lane would be a better “quick fix” to get it turned around. I jumped on Mario’s Kart (pun), when I realized that we were actually gonna give him all of the resources he was asking for. We had to commit to play with the big boys, to get Mario here, and they made the commitment to him. Now looking back…. there’s no way they would have given Lane or anybody else, everything that they giving Mario. Mario is Miami, and honestly we couldn’t have made a better hire to enter the realm of big boy football in 2022. Then we hired Rad! Big boy move! Checkmate, muhfuccas! Happy to have him.

Advertisement
Wanted him instead of diaz in 19
It sounds dumb, but it’s better that we didn’t get him back then. Mario wouldn’t have succeeded here back then, and his experience at Oregon was vital to the coach he is today. Him going 8-4/9-3 consistently would’ve reinforced our old win on the cheap mentality.

Ultimately, him not succeeding had he been hired in 2019 wouldn’t be because of him, but because you cannot compete in this era of college football without a major investment in resources. It took Manny sucking so bad and us sucking so long for the higher ups to finally smell the coffee. Ultimately it worked out great for Mario. Got his dream job and at the right time.

Mario was 1A with Lane being 1B for me. I’m not disappointed at all. I knew with Mario the whole program would do a 180 and he wasn’t the best XO guy on game day. He’s gunna build Miami right and turn us into the most talented roster in the ACC. I wanted Lane because he’s funny af and his offense is awesome to watch, but he would have dipped at a better opportunity and wouldnt leave the program better than he found it

Advertisement
I didn't have a guy on this one, I know I'm too dumb to know who will succeed and who will fail. That said, I suspect we made the best hire possible. Sure, there were guys with better systems, but one thing I do know is that a good system doesn't make you win if you can't get the right players and you don't have enough support from the school, so I never believed The Pirate or Lane would come here and "kill it". I don't think they would have had the vision or ability to pry this much cash and support free from the school and boosters. It took a guy everyone could believe in, and being a former player who knows SFLA is essential there. Know what? Maybe I did know a little something about who would succeed and who would fail. A "guru" might have bought us a year or two of fun, but would have left us right back where we were. Or failed from the start leaving us...right back where we were.

I don't know how Mario will do in-season, but anybody who's got complaints so far just can't be pleased.

Check my Mario history since 2018. This was the guy I wanted all along.
As others have stated, that wouldn't have ended well for either party. He wouldn't have been able to get the support he needed, and he wouldn't have known as much about being a HC as he knows now. Miami football and Mario's career are both in better shape for not having tried this years ago.

Advertisement
For the timing, options and knowing what the power people were willing to do for him particularly, it was Mario for me for the 1st time. Mario has flaws and everything hasn't been perfect which doesn't seem possible, but from where we have been for 17 years, Wow, what a start. My mental health with every hire was becoming a problem. Manny's hiring almost broke me and almost had me hanging it up for football. Hopefully and I believe he will be, a great CEO of this program. Success is on the field though, so post this thread in December for a real evaluation. December for moving in the right direction. A playoff contender in 3 seasons and Mario is my man.

I wanted Mario because of the commitment I knew he'd demand if he came. After being at Bama and Oregon, he knows what it takes to recruit and win big and I knew he wouldn't come and risk his career unless he had a commitment in writing.

Even still, I didn't actually expect to be a top 5-10 program as far as resource spending goes. Especially overnight. It's been an unbelievable turnaround, even for the most optimistic.

How the results show on the field is still to be determined.

After so many poor coaching hires in a row, I'm in wait and see mode. No coach including Mario rates to come in and be instantly praised. Show me.

Mario seems to have it all put together and seems very locked in.

The defense will be NOTABLY improved which I'm excited for.

The coaches hes hired are great and recruiting has already improved.

The biggest concern I have is the implementation of a new offense. If Mario tries to push a run-first/run to set up the pass type of offense, he WILL fail here and I will call for his firing.

Tyler Van Dyke threw for 2931 yards and 25 TD's in only NINE games last year. He is a once in a decade QB, and I dont want to see him handing the ball off.

6 months? It hasn’t even been 4 yet.

i had no preference for the HC other than them not being a first timer and the move made sense. Mario was the best option that was coming here. But it’s not just Mario, it’s also the AD hire as well, and the dedication that Frenk has finally put into the program.

It just seems like 6 months....
Because Mario's probably done nearly 6 months of work in almost 4 months of actual time. He was not my first choice, but his crazy work ethic and the changes to the program that have come with him have made me a believer in short order.

Advertisement
Back