Votes: 67 25.1%
  • I still want someone different

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I’m in wait and see mode. But not angry

Votes: 39 14.6%
  • Should have kept Manny

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Always liked Mario the person and coach. I would have taken Mario over Golden. Mario wasn’t always a viable option here. As a university he wasn’t on the list, due to some powerful board members with an anti-Mario bias. HOWEVER, I’m glad he went to Alabama and Oregon. He needed that experience and credibility to be the coach he is now. I still don’t believe people on this board and in this community know what we have. When we finish with a top five recruiting class this year and win a natty within the next three years, everyone will know. I’ll also put this here now, he’s never leaving for the pros. He has no desire currently to coach at the next level. Mario wasn’t the only candidate and early on there was a possibility we wouldn’t have landed him. If Oregon had gone to the playoffs, he wouldn’t have left. Fwiw I am convinced he’s the second coming of Jimmy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Always liked Mario the person and coach. I would have taken Mario over Golden. Mario wasn’t always a viable option here. As a university he wasn’t on the list, due to some powerful board members with an anti-Mario bias. HOWEVER, I’m glad he went to Alabama and Oregon. He needed that experience and credibility to be the coach he is now. I still don’t believe people on this board and in this community know what we have. When we finish with a top five recruiting class this year and win a natty within the next three years, everyone will know. I’ll also put this here now, he’s never leaving for the pros. He has no desire currently to coach at the next level. Mario wasn’t the only candidate and early on there was a possibility we wouldn’t have landed him. If Oregon had gone to the playoffs, he wouldn’t have left. Fwiw I am convinced he’s the second coming of Jimmy.
Second coming of JJ is a tall order. As Good as Mario's staff is....JJs was even better...Not only did that staff win a NC....but he basically took that entire staff, and Won 2 SBs with them in Dallas. I liken Mario to Butch more (minus the sanctions) Butch had the 2nd best staff in UM History (I personally think it was 1B) and the similarities are very close. Mario was able to watch and learn upclose from 98-2000 as a GA at UM...then in 2001 as a full staff member Won a NC....add his experience with Saban (very similar to what Butch had under JJ) and the similarities are unmistakable.

Second coming of JJ is a tall order. As Good as Mario's staff is....JJs was even better...Not only did that staff win a NC....but he basically took that entire staff, and Won 2 SBs with them in Dallas. I liken Mario to Butch more (minus the sanctions) Butch had the 2nd best staff in UM History (I personally think it was 1B) and the similarities are very close. Mario was able to watch and learn upclose from 98-2000 as a GA at UM...then in 2001 as a full staff member Won a NC....add his experience with Saban (very similar to what Butch had under JJ) and the similarities are unmistakable.
I think JJ took the foundation built by Howard and recruited very well. Originally Jimmy struggled slightly as an in game coach. He learned to trust his staff and won it all. That’s the baseline for my comparison. I can’t compare him to Butch, because no one will ever be the talent evaluator that Butch was.

Last edited:
I think JJ took the foundation built by Howard and recruited very well. Originally Jimmy struggled slightly as an in game coach. He learned to trust his staff and won it all. That’s the baseline for my comparison. I can’t compare him to Butch, because no one will ever be the talent evaluator that Butch was.
JJ came in and revolutionized CFB Defense with an Attacking Style he learned from Oklahoma (Selmon Bros etc...) instead of Howards/Olivadotti's 3-4 Defense (Which JJ hated)...and 5-2 Base Defense that Tony Fitzpatrick said they called "Monster".....of course that didn't sit well with Olivadotti, who ended up leaving and Wannstadt coming aboard....I can't count the times I spoke with Butch about this stuff.

The financial investment is a bigger game changer than the coach.
Without that investment we would've been in the same position as the past four coaches.
We could have hired anyone but if the administration was going to remain cheap, we’d be stuck in perpetual mediocrity. We’d essentially have to keep searching the lower levels for up and coming schematic wizards to try and keep us competitive before they’d eventually leave for greener pastures. We’d be a G5 program in that regard.

Advertisement
I can’t lie….At first, I was on the Lane Train because I didn’t think that there was ANY WAY that the BOT would give Mario all the concessions that he was reportedly asking for. I felt that Lane would be a better “quick fix” to get it turned around. I jumped on Mario’s Kart (pun), when I realized that we were actually gonna give him all of the resources he was asking for. We had to commit to play with the big boys, to get Mario here, and they made the commitment to him. Now looking back…. there’s no way they would have given Lane or anybody else, everything that they giving Mario. Mario is Miami, and honestly we couldn’t have made a better hire to enter the realm of big boy football in 2022. Then we hired Rad! Big boy move! Checkmate, muhfuccas! Happy to have him.
Wouldn't have been a bad hire. This one is just better. Doubt admin pour the money into program for anyone other than Mario.

Wouldn't have been a bad hire. This one is just better. Doubt admin pour the money into program for anyone other than Mario.
I agree. The admin and BOT wouldn’t concede all of that to anyone else. Mario with admin support is a much better long term option.

I’m glad we got him, he’s a huge upgrade over manny and he will bring in recruits. He also made Miami get serious about football which is long overdue. However I don’t see guaranteed championships In our futures and I think a lot of fans won’t have their expectations met. His teams usually play inferior teams close and lose to bad teams, or lose embarrassingly, at least once a year…all thing Miami fans are way too used to. I would expect to be a regular top 15 team. If not, fans will eventually get sick of his press conferences and talk just like they have with our previous coaches

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back