Mario pros and cons revisited

Advertisement
@Cribby you nailed it as usual. But the nugget that I appreciate most, as others have touched on is the resiliency and that comes from culture. Being able to flip a culture so fast is a true feat. Hard to pencil in Ws because so much is still to be proven, but we can all feel proud. Hope we get healthy for our Acc stretch.

Mario was told he would have all the resources needed to succeed at Miami.

He then hires some veteran coaches and award-winning coordinators to try and get the most out of the young men on the roster who decided to commit and play for the U. Some of these young men weren't invested, or Danny Miaz ruined them.

Was it a mistake? Maybe. He could have gone the Sanders of Riley route and done a complete roster overhaul. Instead, he found out two things: the 1930 offense wasn't going to work, and some ballers in the roster needed some help.

Fast forward to now, and we got the help we needed in the portal and recruiting. Mario has two coordinators who are perfect for today's college football and, more importantly, a style that fits our players.

Mistakes like not doing a complete roster overhaul were necessary, IMO. We didn't **** off local HS coaches like Sling Blade Billy did, cutting kids left and right. Mario gave players a chance, and the ones who stayed are now hungry for wins and have the right coordinators in place. I know it's early, but it's safe to say we won't see MTSU shenanigans this season and have some good things to root for.
Excellent post

Advertisement
The drive to score a TD with less than a minute left in the half was a light bulb moment for me (and hopefully for Mario too).

That changed the game and was not something I expected at all.
WITH NO TIMEOUTS!!!

Miami in the last 15 years would have just said fuccit, let’s close this out and go to the locker room happy to be down “just” 3 points.

@Brooklyndee will tell you. Mario has a butch type of eye for talent. Think about this guy finding a Colbie Young, anez Cooper, Matt McCoy, Jaden Harris, etc.
Colbie Young looks different out there. Jaden Harris is developing nicely after a position switch.
Harris had a nice special teams tackle

@Brooklyndee will tell you. Mario has a butch type of eye for talent. Think about this guy finding a Colbie Young, anez Cooper, Matt McCoy, Jaden Harris, etc.
Colbie Young looks different out there. Jaden Harris is developing nicely after a position switch.

Moten locked down the interior after Deen went out. We have 3 stars and low 4 stars all over the place making big boy contributions. That's not to say we don't relentlessly pursue guys like Stone and J Smith. Mario knows talent when he sees it. He just sees it better across more kids. As @Cribby noted in one of his posts, Zo and the staff are making a difference, too.

Advertisement
We always hear the things Mario lacks or doesn’t do well. Heres some examples.

1. No play calling experience or scheme
2. X / O guru
3. In game coaching
4. Qb development / offense issues

Yet we forget about the things he does bring here. When he got the job I mentioned all those negatives but I also mentioned the positives and those intrigued me. Here’s the examples.

1. We’ll be physical and much tougher
2. He’ll acquire talent and build a talented roster
3. Most importantly he’ll build up the trenches and will put a focus on the OL.
4. Build a culture

We tend to focus on all the negatives but having a coach is a lot like finding the perfect woman, it doesn’t exist. We’re already seeing his finger prints being put all over this team. Today we played a top 25 Sec team and looked like the more physical team. He’s completely rebuilt the OL in one year and stacked talent / depth that we haven’t had in years.

Football is and will always be dictated by the trenches and our coach specializes in the trenches. So the OC’s will come and go but the one consistent here will be quality OL play. That alone is just as big as say having a X / O guru like Sarkasian or Heupel.

Tonight was Mario’s biggest win and was a much needed sign to fans / recruits that things are changing and he does in fact have a plan. This is how you sell a program, not cute quotes , slogans or talk game. The proof is in substance.

As I‘ve been saying “ things just feel different with this team “ and i’m even more confident of that tonight. Teams in the past would’ve packed up camp after multiple power shots to the dome. But there was resolve , mental toughness and determination I haven’t seen in years.

Great win.
Facts! All facts.

Despite all the criticism Mario has endured since coming back to the U, and I’m sure he is aware of his critics He is going to do it his way. He brought in players coaches and rid the team of those unwilling to get on board with his plan.

wonder how coach prime would be with last years roster. He’s a marquee name who gutted a program and rebuilt it through free agency. Now he’s the second coming of Saban. Mario will get us there.

Advertisement
It’s a long season dude. I still say 9 -10 wins is the ceiling and 8 is the floor. I need to see more though . We aren’t good enough to start putting W’s by future opponents before the games lol.
I agree with you I am trying to not be overly excited it's hard. It's just nice to see the canes exceed the general expectation.

It’s a long season dude. I still say 9 -10 wins is the ceiling and 8 is the floor. I need to see more though . We aren’t good enough to start putting W’s by future opponents before the games lol.
And that’s the **** truth.

Did he want that style offense or did he want the best guy and go out and hire that seasons broyles award winner?

I just feel like there’s no real indication Mario was unwilling to let TVD air it
Those Broyles awards are not always indicative of future success…..radio won it and look what we got as a HC!

Advertisement
Those Broyles awards are not always indicative of future success…..radio won it and look what we got as a HC!
That’s a fact, and Gattis wasn’t good for us. I was just making the point that Gattis may have been hired because he was an award winning coach and not because Mario was married to a certain style of offense

I think the Tampa Bay Times story headline was a pretty accurate description of what happened Sat.

"Miami Hurricanes show Cristobal’s potential in upset of Jimbo’s Aggies​

Mario Cristobal earns a proof-of-concept triumph in the second game of his second season."

Advertisement
Back