Mario on Joe Rose talking TAMU Game

I don’t get the desire to defend TVD.

He has been bad in so many ways.

Talking about someone costing the game is the wrong analysis.

TVDs performance was as bad or worse as the WR performance. QB, WR, PR, and K were the weakest positions on the field.

So many trying to bash Gattis and WRs while defending TVD. It’s weird.

I am not really defending him. Just pointing out that he played well enough to win the game. I will grant you it wasn't his best game but it wasn't his worse either. I already brought some points regarding the other issues. Gattis did not help him with the poor red zone play calling. The Parrish drop was a bad one as well that could have extended a drive into the red zone. B. Smith missed one that went off his facemask that could have extended our last drive.

Advertisement

TVDs performance was as bad or worse as the WR performance. QB, WR, PR, and K were the weakest positions on the field.

I don’t see any fire with TVD. He looks disinterested most of the time. Jake has less of an arm but is definitely the gamer we need.

Both positives and negatives should and need to be recognized. Can’t dwell on one or the other too much. It’s obvious Mario is doing just that.

Last edited:
Make no mistake Texas A&M has the better roster. Achane and Smith are 2 offensive players they have we don't. They were difference makers.

Their defense was extremely fast and athletic.

People talk about their secondary have guys out, and yea factual. The kid that had to come in and play was true freshman Bryce Anderson. He ran a 10.48 100 meters as a senior in high school.

He was a top 80 national recruit. We had one recruit ranking higher in Cyrus Moss who is a 3 year developmental edge rusher, and he was ranked just 7 spots higher.

They had 14, FOURTEEN players ranked higher than Anderson in last years class. Insane.

Jaylon Jones the safety that was flying around everywhere was #1 ranked safety in 2020 class. 5 star safety.

Antonio Johnson was another one of top safeties coming out. LB Cooper is faster than our starting RB. While their offense has its issues, their defense does not.
For them to be down that many DBs and look like they werent missing a beat is insane.. You can see how they move and get off our crappy attempts at blocks from WR that they are super talented. I thought Jaylon Jones was a difference maker too.. Guy came up and tackled really well for them on edge.. Think he was injured earlier but he was back.. Oh yea was #1 safety coming out, 5 star sheesh

Make no mistake Texas A&M has the better roster. Achane and Smith are 2 offensive players they have we don't. They were difference makers.

Their defense was extremely fast and athletic.

People talk about their secondary have guys out, and yea factual. The kid that had to come in and play was true freshman Bryce Anderson. He ran a 10.48 100 meters as a senior in high school.

He was a top 80 national recruit. We had one recruit ranking higher in Cyrus Moss who is a 3 year developmental edge rusher, and he was ranked just 7 spots higher.

They had 14, FOURTEEN players ranked higher than Anderson in last years class. Insane.

Jaylon Jones the safety that was flying around everywhere was #1 ranked safety in 2020 class. 5 star safety.

Antonio Johnson was another one of top safeties coming out. LB Cooper is faster than our starting RB. While their offense has its issues, their defense does not.

They only one bc this isn’t Jimbos 1st year as their HC running his program.

Advertisement
For the WR coaches here, what do you think they are doing wrong?

Several drops seemed to be lack of concentration and focus with the ball slipping off open receivers.

They need to improve how they practice to improve thier skills. Doing the same sub-par technique x100 just ingrains it even more.
I’ve said it a couple times just from seeing small pieces of practice online. Gattis is a technical Tyrant and this kids aren’t responding and it appears TVD is starting to go south too and it’s not only his play but his body language.

TVD was off but you still had some drops that if converted may change the complexion of game. Then the muffed punt. Red zone play calling enigmatic. Fix that and I think our offense is fine. Can't put it all on TVD. He didn't play great but he didn't cost us the game imo

TVD has been off all season but a couple of quarters.... time for him step and lead with passion...
... was disappointed in his wimpy cutting out to the sidelines when we needed that 3rd down desperately.. should have bulled that DB down with his weight and size

I don’t see any fire with TVD. He looks disinterested most of the time. Jake has less of an arm but is definitely the gamer we need.
Disinterested, really? It's obvious what's going on. He's thinking too much, processing everything he's seeing real time. It's slowing his reaction time. Combine that with not being in rhythm with the WRs.

Hope somebody in his press conference asks him again about kicking the FG’s. I hope after watching the film he knows he made a mistake

One of those was on the line and not the kicker.... ridiculous to let a guy up the middle get his hand on the ball... can understand someone flying in from the corners

Advertisement
I’ve said it a couple times just from seeing small pieces of practice online. Gattis is a technical Tyrant and this kids aren’t responding and it appears TVD is starting to go south too and it’s not only his play but his body language.
I would say that says as much negatively about the players as it does Gattis.

Don't like his teaching approach? Who cares, endure and figure it out.

I am not really defending him. Just pointing out that he played well enough to win the game. I will grant you it wasn't his best game but it wasn't his worse either. I already brought some points regarding the other issues. Gattis did not help him with the poor red zone play calling. The Parrish drop was a bad one as well that could have extended a drive into the red zone. B. Smith missed one that went off his facemask that could have extended our last drive.

Sorry that wasn’t directed to you. I think you’re pretty balanced and objective.

I disagree slightly and don’t think that TVD played winning football (he didn’t “lose” the game - but he missed too many reads and throws to the point that I don’t think he played winning football), but my post was about those who are saying TVD is not a legitimate and pretty significant concern going forward.

George is a WR so he should have better hands back there. But the more I see of this WR corp, I'm not wild about having 11 guys on the other side hunting down George. He looks like the most natural WR we have and perhaps the best of the bunch at YAC opportunities.
Curtis must really not being doing the job in practice at PR because he looked like a natural at it in high school, and he isn't getting a lot of PT anywhere else. He would be the ideal PR.

Advertisement
Mario mentioned scheming better in the red zone too if I recall. He holds his couches accountable. On the last okay to Breshard, TVD properly threw coming out of his break…imo BS didn’t get his head around fast enough…Marion’s WRs had to learn to get their heads around fast and expect the ball. Ro on the OBB show believes TVD is best w RPOs, so we need to get some more of those in this system. Think he was saying TVDs footwork and mechanics deteriorated the longer he looked for an open receiver. Flo said some of the issues were the WRs not being where they were supposed to be causing some (not all) of the throws to appear like TVD bad accuracy. To me, it just sounds like a more complex system that the guys will get better at as the season goes on. Oline is best in 20 years. I think Gattis will correct his red zone stuff and have a better feel for his players strengths and weaknesses. Lots to be excited for. Like to hear what LCE thinks. Haven’t seen his stuff in a while. 🙌🔥🙌🔥🙌

I really don’t know why TS is trusted on punt returns given his inclination to field them off the bounce in traffic. That’s on the coaches.
What if the coaches told him to stay away from bouncing punts?
Maybe the kids not coachable..

For those who don’t have time to listen, Mario is clearly unhappy with our WR’s. Said he expects everyone to stay after practice and catch 100 balls. I’m pretty sure Parrish will be doing this as well.
He was also unhappy with TS’s terrible decision on the punt.
And he made a comment that pouting and negotiating doesn’t earn playing time. I maybe wrong but I assume that is about Tae Williams.

No WR jobs will be safe this off season but for Restrepo because he will continue to outwork and out perform everyone.
Thanks you.

Advertisement
I would say that says as much negatively about the players as it does Gattis.

Don't like his teaching approach? Who cares, endure and figure it out.
I get all the Gattis complaints, but he succeeded at Michigan with what appeared to be less talent at WR and QB.
So are our players dumber than the Michigan players who grasped his offense? Of course it took some time at Michigan for it all to come together and maybe that is the same story here but we might just waste a season of TVD trying to get this right.

What if the coaches told him to stay away from bouncing punts?
Maybe the kids not coachable..
I was thinking at the very least they needed to give situational instructions there but I doubt it because that means he didn’t listen and they still sent him back out there for the following punt returns.

Well most of us know when something is off. I’ll also get to watch the all 22. If you’re right I’ll let you know, preliminary stance is you’re way off lol

Last edited:
I get all the Gattis complaints, but he succeeded at Michigan with what appeared to be less talent at WR and QB.
So are our players dumber than the Michigan players who grasped his offense? Of course it took some time at Michigan for it all to come together and maybe that is the same story here but we might just waste a season of TVD trying to get this right.
Im going to get a Michigan guy in here for y’all to debunk this. When it was 100% all him he didn’t succeed. When harbough stepped in he won the Broyles

Advertisement
Back