MaRiO NeEds his OwN GuYs

Advertisement
Look at the first-year coaches on that list:

Oklahoma -- 4th in bluechip ratio, they have lost 3 games in a row and just lost forty-nine to zero to their biggest rival
LSU -- Multiple losses, one to FSU, one where they got blown out of their own stadium by Tennessee
Notre Dame -- Multiple losses, one at home to Marshall
uf -- Multiple losses, almost lost at home to USF, almost lost to Missouri
Oregon -- Lost by 500 to UGA (no real shame there), but looked pretty decent otherwise (Mario's kids?)

If we're losing to App State at home in Year 5 with the 5th highest blue-chip ratio like A&M, or being blown out of our building multiple times with the 15th highest ratio and a tenured coach like Auburn, it might be time to pull the oh **** cord.

But literally every single first-year coach on this list is struggling. Some mightily, like Venables. LSU looks absolutely awful, and as much as Kelly is a lowlife murderer, he took multiple ND teams to the playoffs and has the 7th most talent, according to this list. He may not be an elite coach, but he's not a completely terrible coach.

Again, I'm not necessarily comparing these teams to ours. And not excusing the losses, especially MTSU. But first-year coaches are struggling here, and on paper they also have a lot of talent.

The bottom line is, it's too early to tell anything long-term, good or bad. We're certainly not off to a great start here, and the last 3 weeks have given me an ulcer, but what has happened so far is NOT INDICITIVE of long-term performance. Period. It is very, very possible to build a good program in the next couple years, even with what has transpired so far. UGA had the #12 class in the country in 2014, the #8 class in 2015, and the #6 class in 2015. Kirby Smart's first year, 2016, they went 8-5. They lost to Vanderbilt, at home. They've gone to a NY6 bowl every year since. Let's give it a year or two before we go berserk.
Well said

Texas A&M is a perfect example to back his argument. Team full of highly rated, blue chip recruits, even signing (on paper at least) the highest ranked recruiting class ever. Despite this there's a reason they're known as the 8-4 squad. COACHING!

His "argument" is that blue-chip ratio means everything, yet his own chart shows that, outside the top 3, blue chip ratio literally means nothing.

Why not both?

Oh My God Reaction GIF
That’s why your a Maude.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Advertisement

Oklahoma -- 4th in bluechip ratio, they have lost 3 games in a row and just lost forty-nine to zero to their biggest rival
LSU -- Multiple losses, one to FSU, one where they got blown out of their own stadium by Tennessee
Oregon -- Lost by 500 to UGA (no real shame there), but looked pretty decent otherwise (Mario's kids?)

If we're losing to App State at home in Year 5 with the 5th highest blue-chip ratio like A&M, or being blown out of our building multiple times with the 15th highest ratio and a tenured coach like Auburn, it might be time to pull the oh **** cord.

But literally every single first-year coach on this list is struggling. Some mightily, like Venables. LSU looks absolutely awful, and as much as Kelly is a lowlife murderer, he took multiple ND teams to the playoffs and has the 7th most talent, according to this list. He may not be an elite coach, but he's not a completely terrible coach.

Again, I'm not necessarily comparing these teams to ours. And not excusing the losses, especially MTSU. But first-year coaches are struggling here, and on paper they also have a lot of talent.
Spot on. With some on here it just depends which way the wind is blowing. While Manny was here, and rightly so, most of the talk was about his misses in recruiting and abysmal player development. Now somehow a new staff is to immediately rectify this issue in a matter of months and have them as a playoff contender. Utterly ridiculous but I somewhat understand the emotion born in frustration, it’s just incorrect. This staff came in with an empty LB, DL, CB, WR, slim OL, and vastly overrated and under manned RB room. Imagine this squad without some of the additions through the portal.

The blue chip argument is a farce. Bama, OSU, and UGA get so many, and more importantly in positions of need, that they are bound to hit and materialize when you get multiple at each position every cycle. Not to mention placing those pieces in obscenely funded programs which are run at a level of efficiency Jeff Bezos would be envious of.

Many of our “blue chips” have been corroded and indoctrinated by a former staff which has severely stunted any maximization of growth on an individual level. Not to mention some of these blue chippers having the physical but lacking the mental makeup to be great.

Spot on. With some on here it just depends which way the wind is blowing. While Manny was here, and rightly so, most of the talk was about his misses in recruiting and abysmal player development. Now somehow a new staff is to immediately rectify this issue in a matter of months and have them as a playoff contender. Utterly ridiculous but I somewhat understand the emotion born in frustration, it’s just incorrect. This staff came in with an empty LB, DL, CB, WR, slim OL, and vastly overrated and under manned RB room. Imagine this squad without some of the additions through the portal.

The blue chip argument is a farce. Bama, OSU, and UGA get so many, and more importantly in positions of need, that they are bound to hit and materialize when you get multiple at each position every cycle. Not to mention placing those pieces in obscenely funded programs which are run at a level of efficiency Jeff Bezos would be envious of.

Many of our “blue chips” have been corroded and indoctrinated by a former staff which has severely stunted any maximization of growth on an individual level. Not to mention some of these blue chippers having the physical but lacking the mental makeup to be great.
The truth is somewhere in the middle. Mario, his offensive philosophy and the offensive staff has shown to be stubborn as ****. Taking four games to realize adjustments need to be made to fit the talent is malpractice. Especially when anyone with a lick of sense saw this early in the season. People defending Mario and ripping players has been my biggest issue the last month, when I know the coaches aren’t helping the situation. They cared more about doing things their way offensively rather than melding the offense to the players. That’s uncalled for and i won’t defend it regardless who the coach is. This is more than a player issue.

All the crap leaking out ripping the players and the culture is not a good look. I mean players see this stuff. Even if it’s true it doesn’t need to be out there especially with where it’s coming from.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Mario, his offensive philosophy and the offensive staff has shown to be stubborn as ****. Taking four games to realize adjustments need to be made to fit the talent is malpractice. Especially when anyone with a lick of sense saw this early in the season. People defending Mario and ripping players has been my biggest issue the last month, when I know the coaches aren’t helping the situation. They cared more about doing things their way offensively rather than melding the offense to the players. That’s uncalled for and i won’t defend it regardless who the coach is. This is more than a player issue.

All the crap leaking out ripping the players and the culture is not a good look. I mean players see this stuff.

It's usually always somewhere in the middle. The problem is, this board (and society in general) has a very tough time with things being anything other than black or white. We've got issues to fix, both talent/player related and coaching related. But what has transpired the first 5 games of Year 1 literally cannot definitively paint a long-term picture. And I'd say the same thing if we were 5-0. This is not Mario Cristobal's program yet. It's just not. And I'm not even saying that Mario Cristobal's program will definitely be a success. But what I can say, definitively, is this is not anywhere close to the finished product.

All the crap leaking out ripping the players and the culture is not a good look. I mean players see this stuff. Even if it’s true it doesn’t need to be out there especially with where it’s coming from.
Completely agree. What worries me though is what you described is who Mario is. That’s been his identity at every stop with mediocre success to show for it. Will it change at miami? We sure as **** hope so. Or this is going to be a boring brand of football for a decade barely grinding out wins even though we are 25x more talented than the team on the other sideline.

Advertisement
His "argument" is that blue-chip ratio means everything, yet his own chart shows that, outside the top 3, blue chip ratio literally means nothing.
Blue chip ratio isn't the end all be all, but it's a good indicator that Miami isn't as bereft of talent like people on this site (and to a larger extent, Cristobal) are trying to claim. Miami isn't elite in talent, but to claim as if the kids on the roster are along the lines of fcs players of asinine. A good amount of these kids were recruited by more big time schools. So clearly talent and potential was there, but ****** coaching squandered that.

The bottom line is, it's too early to tell anything long-term, good or bad. We're certainly not off to a great start here, and the last 3 weeks have given me an ulcer, but what has happened so far is NOT INDICITIVE of long-term performance. Period. It is very, very possible to build a good program in the next couple years, even with what has transpired so far. UGA had the #12 class in the country in 2014, the #8 class in 2015, and the #6 class in 2015. Kirby Smart's first year, 2016, they went 8-5. They lost to Vanderbilt, at home. They've gone to a NY6 bowl every year since. Let's give it a year or two before we go berserk.
Hard to argue against this

Texas A&M is a perfect example to back his argument. Team full of highly rated, blue chip recruits, even signing (on paper at least) the highest ranked recruiting class ever. Despite this there's a reason they're known as the 8-4 squad. COACHING!
They’re gonna be a dive loss team in year 5

Advertisement
Blue chip ratio isn't the end all be all, but it's a good indicator that Miami isn't as bereft of talent like people on this site (and to a larger extent, Cristobal) are trying to claim. Miami isn't elite in talent, but to claim as if the kids on the roster are along the lines of fcs players of asinine. A good amount of these kids were recruited by more big time schools. So clearly talent and potential was there, but ****** coaching squandered that.

Coaching didn't squander that in eight months. How do you people forget that we've been doing this for 20 YEARS????? Now all of a sudden THIS coaching staff blew all their talent???

This roster stinks.

Coaching didn't squander that in eight months. How do you people forget that we've been doing this for 20 YEARS????? Now all of a sudden THIS coaching staff blew all their talent???

This roster stinks.
Are you somehow arguing that we’ve had good coaches for the last 20 years and no talent? theres A reason they were fired and why none of them have been successful after leaving Miami, most were only somewhat successful before Miami. They’re all retired, position coaches or back to being coordinators. Jon richt was our qb coach only four years ago

Are you somehow arguing that we’ve had good coaches for the last 20 years and no talent? theres A reason they were fired and why none of them have been successful after leaving Miami, most were only somewhat successful before Miami. They’re all retired, position coaches or back to being coordinators. Jon richt was our qb coach only four years ago
The John Richt that had our QBs throwing FBs in between the Goal posts in practice sessions...

Advertisement

Venables- lifetime DC. Could have tried to be a HC years ago but didn't want to do it because he didn't have the desire. Also slightly neurotic. Don't think he will be a successful HC at Oklahoma.
Kelly- probably the best overall coach on the list, but if there was ever a mismatch of coach and culture, it would be Kelly at LSU.
Freeman- Freeman is in over his head.
Sunbelt Billy- Come on bro. It's Sunbelt Billy
Lanning- ? TBD

You listed a lot of corches and guys in over their heads. Putting Cristobal on this list of bad/mismatched corches who are underperforming relative to the talent is not a good sign.

I'm saying that when a hundred head and assistant coaches fail over a 20 year period, but we keeping getting 60% of our roster from the same talent pool, it's silly to blame all of those coaches. You're saying that all of those coaches were so insanely bad that they took the "best talent in America" and turned it into 7-5 teams.

I mean, we have a guy who won 12 games with "less talent", now you're saying that he is so bad that he can't win 8 games with our talent advantage. How does that even make sense to you?

Advertisement
Back