Mario, Josh Gattis and Kevin Steele Media Monday 10/3

First off, not a fan of the offense or Gattis to this point. Who is? But read the board before watching the press conferences & expected to be fuming after listening to Gattis based on board comments. Then, thought he actually echoed and sounded like Mario during his press conference. Said the right thing with responses such as working to find what players do best, coaches job to help them develop, things aren't working we'll throw them out, blah, blah, blah. Easy to trash the guy, but what anyone expecting? If gonna take shots at him & the offense, probably should fire first bullet at the head coach and then maybe the QB coach.
Comparison with Steele & giving the DC a pass is also a tad silly. They're vastly different personalities & shows in how they handle the media. Steele has them eating out of his hand with his golly gee I've been around since Rockne, it's all on me approach. Well, terrific, you can't whimsically explain away busts leading to 4 long, easy TDs against MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE. And four games into the season where the **** is Gilbert Frierson? Well, we're cross training him & trying to find a spot. Total BS.
We have a bigger faster player in Frierson on the bench and we have a small slow player who we can’t seem to get off the field. I like Steele but **** what a waste.

Advertisement
That answer was so bad , I mean really bad. Wtf
1664829101272.jpeg
we need more guys to help block!!

That answer was so bad , I mean really bad. Wtf
so so bad lol if they are stacking in simple line them receivers out past the hashes throw a couple quick bangers they wont load up anymore lol. its a simple math game really. im so sick of getting coaches who try to react to waht other teams throw at us instead of going on the offensive side and making them adjust to us

Advertisement
Our OL has shown that when they actually communicate well they can hold their own in most block situations. We've struggled communicating assignments with some frequency this year.

You know how you help that OL out? You spread the defense out so any pressure they bring cannot be disguised. You know how you make it even harder on them? By going to a condensed set.

Condensed sets are not the devil. They have their advantages, but with the personnel we have, and the weaknesses we have as an offense, they do not fit us at all.
Exactly. When you crowd your own people at the LOS, so does the other team. That, to me, is a huge disadvantage for our current O.

Not sure how sustainable he (Gattis) is here. His scheme is getting national attention for the wrong reasons, his length of his recruitment to UM was questionable. There have been several reports out now that then co-offensive coordinator at Alabama didn't call plays after claiming he did (Mike Locksley called them) and his contribution to the offense at Michigan is suspect after that team has moved on/improved in aspect since his departure. Now his attitude here is to be this stoic and immovable coordinator sticking to what doesn't work because--stubborn.

I don't know. Each day that goes by, I like his style of coordinating less and less. His offense better start clickin' or he's one-and-done.
It was always known he didn’t call plays at bama, that’s why it was dumb for people to act like he had a hand in that offense being great. Then he tried to take credit for it on the way out by beefing with locksley. And his offenses at Michigan we’re average or below average other than last year after he got a co OC. He also burned bridges on the way out of his last two jobs…you almost never want that type of person on your staff. But hey, he had the broyles award right?

yes those 3wrs and RB must be in a new max protect formation. half the people posting just have a narrative so they just pump it out all week, the other 25% prarrot said narrative so they can be with the cool guys on the board. the other 25% have no idea if the football is stuffed or pumped.
We need SUPERMAXX protect pro!

Yep. When I talk about the spread and the advantages I‘ve seem it first hand. Spreading the field makes things so much easier. From making reads , throwing lanes , stretching the defense vertically / horizontally , harder for the d to disguise and more room for wr‘s to run routes to get separation. All condensing the offense does is make it shooting fish in a barrel.

Short answer here is that we literally played right into their hands. Oh, you're going to load the box, the correct response is spread them out and make them unload the box. It's common sense even for someone that has a rudimentary understanding of the game.

Advertisement
He says getting enough people in the box to block or protect both edges

This is something one of the comedians on the board here must have written to mock Gattis, right? Please tell me he didn't really say that.

1664849139491.png

Look how hard you make it on yourself going condensed.

It allows them to commit and get this level of penetration before the handoff is even completed.
1664849182618.png

We're just lucky they failed to tackle Thad after 3 tries.

We motion in because we didn't feel the defense had enough men in the box. Unsurprisingly it fails because they don't fail to tackle this time.

1664849255512.png

Advertisement
Gattis getting offended lol. Guy, your offense is complete garbage and you have had zero bright spots all year. No progress. No flashes. You’ve given us nothing to be happy about. We lost Rambo, a guy who didn’t even get drafted. He go cares? You didn’t develop anyone in the off-season. He should be happy and offer additional time to explain himself.

Gattis getting offended lol. Guy, your offense is complete garbage and you have had zero bright spots all year. No progress. No flashes. You’ve given us nothing to be happy about. We lost Rambo, a guy who didn’t even get drafted. He go cares? You didn’t develop anyone in the off-season. He should be happy and offer additional time to explain himself.
We’ve seen a lot of hard headed idiots roll through the Hecht over the years. In my opinion he’s well on his way to taking the top spot over Mark D. In 4 games this man has over taken a guy that was completely incompetent for 5 years. It’s impressive when you think about it.

The writing was on the wall prior to hiring him. I’m just ashamed I fell for the kool aid yet again as well as the fanbase. We need to be better. If a fanbase has concerns/ is celebrating a coach leaving their former program we need to believe them at all costs until proven otherwise

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back