Mario is Doing the Work

From what I've seen, Pitt has good line play on both sides of the ball. Clemson's DL is obviously very strong while their OL is just solid. UL was supposed to have a talented OL, but they did not look impressive at all against Syracuse and Forfeit State. VT, GT, and Forfeit State look very bad on the OL (though I admit Forfeit State looks a little better than I thought... like, D+ instead of an F) and DL (minus Verse at Forfeit State, who looked like their best DL before getting hurt).

The push in the run game UM's OL was getting in weeks 1 and 2 was more or less sustained against TAMU, which should bode well for our ability to utterly dominate the run game against any ACC team not named Clemson or Pitt (and maybe even them). Of the ACC teams on our schedule, I haven't seen UVA, Duke, or UNC though (except for highlights).

Considering what these units looked like in December, the OL and DL improvement has been dramatic. Like you, I am very confident in our ability win in conference with the advantage in the trenches. Right now my greatest concern as we turn the corner into conference play is our ability to play from behind, but if we tighten up STs, minimize some of the bonehead mistakes, and execute a little better on offense, we shouldn't find ourselves having to play from behind too often.
Good point on Pitt. I didn’t mean to forget them but I only saw their game vs Tenn. I agree that they are solid.

💯 on your concern on us coming back vs a team. We are 0-1 there. Us taking the lead early seems like it will be a big deal to run and control more. I am very concerned about our ability to come back when down which is why this UNC game intrigues me more than TAMU game did in terms of an offense we are facing.

That UNC QB is a ****y little prick and their offense seems legit but I still can’t really evaluate them based on the opponents not name App St. (Georgia State and Florida A&M).

Notre Dame your has a good defense but really crappy offense. Way worse than anything we have on offense.

Advertisement
Good point on Pitt. I didn’t mean to forget them but I only saw their game vs Tenn. I agree that they are solid.

💯 on your concern on us coming back vs a team. We are 0-1 there. Us taking the lead early seems like it will be a big deal to run and control more. I am very concerned about our ability to come back when down which is why this UNC game intrigues me more than TAMU game did in terms of an offense we are facing.

That UNC QB is a ****y little prick and their offense seems legit but I still can’t really evaluate them based on the opponents not name App St. (Georgia State and Florida A&M).

Notre Dame your has a good defense but really crappy offense. Way worse than anything we have on offense.

Yeah, that UNC v. App State game ended up with a basketball score. They're worth watching as possibly having the potential to score a bunch in a hurry. But like you said, that sample size is still small.

Spot on w/ Notre Dame. I told a friend of mine before week 1 that the pre-season rankings for Notre Dame were based on the helmet sticker and not the talent. That OL looks like one of their worst in recent memory. And their starting QB is out for the season now, but he looked like trash anyway. Makes our offense look really good, lol.

I watch a lot of other games. Sticking to ACC teams that I’ve seen multiple times (Louisville, VT, FSPooo, GT) I see a lot of bad line play from those teams. No doubt Miami is way ahead vs those teams.

I need to see UNC (because they haven’t played anyone good except App St), Syracuse, UVA and NC State more. I’ll be paying close attention to UNC this weekend but in my estimation, Miami is top 2 in the conference on both O/D-line. That will win us a lot of games in this conference.
Facts

The fronts have been fixed and playing better without Mario getting the five stars enrolled yet. Just imagine if they gave this man time......let him build and skill guys will come eventually they will have too. Same like saban did at bama, he wasn’t really cooking for skill guys until those fronts were assembled. It was hard for kids to say no to their dream schools.....and they started getting kids who would of never went there. I seen this build and story before it’s why I’m not in panic mode over losses this year.

It’s pretty incredible when you see how much bigger, stronger, and tougher we’ve become on the line of scrimmage in just nine short months under Mario. Anybody who has watched football for any considerable amount of time, if given the choice, between having a bunch of great skill players but getting dominated at the LOS, or vice-versa, would take the great line play 10/10 times. That being said, the great coaches like Saban, Kirby, etc. have been able to adapt/evolve and realize you need both to truly be great.

Advertisement
I agree and as much as I’ve vented on this board I 100% believe that Mario is on that. In fact the ESPN article even talked about that - Mario/Gattis getting on him to make a group text with the receivers.

My literal only concern is that TVD potentially puts Mario in a real tough spot because the optics of a pre-season Heisman contender getting benched are not good (even if the reality is that the work isn’t getting done behind the scenes - and to be clear that’s where I’m a speculating *** message board fan lol).
The most interesting part of your post is the part that you implied without coming right out with it. That is the optics of a preseason Heisman contender getting benched. I don't know if that is something that has been discussed in private or how close that could be to actually happening but at this point it must at least be entertained as a possibility.

TVD is struggling a bit to fully absorb the new offense and he seems to be thinking to much. This coupled with the fact that he has a slower release, is really affecting his timing. If this trend continues then Mario will decide what to do based upon what is best for the team.

Jake Garcia is much more of a gunslinger type with a very quick release. Garcia also seems to make quicker reads in general. I'm not saying that Garcia is the definitive answer to our issues but it is an option that should be at least considered and maybe explored. Perhaps he gives us the spark this offense needs.

I like Garcia but Tyler made all the throws with confidence last year perhaps Gattis is not connecting with his schemes for Tyler ?

Facts

The fronts have been fixed and playing better without Mario getting the five stars enrolled yet. Just imagine if they gave this man time......let him build and skill guys will come eventually they will have too. Same like saban did at bama, he wasn’t really cooking for skill guys until those fronts were assembled. It was hard for kids to say no to their dream schools.....and they started getting kids who would of never went there. I seen this build and story before it’s why I’m not in panic mode over losses this year.
Exactly, I'm surprised at some of the guys on here panicking. I remember one of the insiders saying Mario was concentrating on fixing our line play this year. To me he's 💯 achieved that goal faster than I thought. I'm not worried about receiviers. It will work out over time.

Facts

It’s a very reasonable approach. Because we’re going to win some games along the way too. May look like **** at times but that’s because we’re not fully talent heavy yet, we’re lacking high quality depth to push competition in practice up more a few notches. It will come with time and most need to realize that.

Advertisement
The most interesting part of your post is the part that you implied without coming right out with it. That is the optics of a preseason Heisman contender getting benched. I don't know if that is something that has been discussed in private or how close that could be to actually happening but at this point it must at least be entertained as a possibility.

TVD is struggling a bit to fully absorb the new offense and he seems to be thinking to much. This coupled with the fact that he has a slower release, is really affecting his timing. If this trend continues then Mario will decide what to do based upon what is best for the team.

Jake Garcia is much more of a gunslinger type with a very quick release. Garcia also seems to make quicker reads in general. I'm not saying that Garcia is the definitive answer to our issues but it is an option that should be at least considered and maybe explored. Perhaps he gives us the spark this offense needs.

I agree with you… the optics of a preseason heisman contender (even if TVD didn’t fully deserve the hype) getting benched by a coach who has been criticized as a QB killer are super bad.

That’s a high stakes gamble and I’m sure one Mario would not want to make unless everyone is incredibly confident that Jake would come in and ball out to quiet the critics and negative recruiters.

That’s honestly my biggest concern for this season. And it’s much harder to solve a 2 part problem (WR & QB) when both parts are broken.

But I trust that Mario will get it done because he’s the guy that overcomes obstacles by the sheer power of his will and work.

I agree and as much as I’ve vented on this board I 100% believe that Mario is on that. In fact the ESPN article even talked about that - Mario/Gattis getting on him to make a group text with the receivers.

My literal only concern is that TVD potentially puts Mario in a real tough spot because the optics of a pre-season Heisman contender getting benched are not good (even if the reality is that the work isn’t getting done behind the scenes - and to be clear that’s where I’m a speculating *** message board fan lol).

TVD was only a heisman contender to delusional canes fans.

Facts

The fronts have been fixed and playing better without Mario getting the five stars enrolled yet. Just imagine if they gave this man time......let him build and skill guys will come eventually they will have too. Same like saban did at bama, he wasn’t really cooking for skill guys until those fronts were assembled. It was hard for kids to say no to their dream schools.....and they started getting kids who would have never went there. I seen this build and story before it’s why I’m not in panic mode over losses this year.
None of this is false…However, in 2022/2023 with the portal, it doesn’t have to be either / or.

We missed badly on WR and need to fix that immediately this cycle.

There is no need for foreplay, when we could be fuccin sooner than later in the current college football dynamic.

Advertisement
Let’s be 💯. Mario needs to sit him down like he did Avantae… both created “social media” distractions.
So Mario sat Avantae for creating a social media distraction? What was the nature of this "distraction"? When does Avantae get off this double secret probation?

Advertisement
1 year ago this time we were in total dissarray. Recruiting pretty much ceased and we knew we should stop thinking of national titles and the like. Now we have a top 10 class before the end of Septemeber with the teams around us having atleast 3 more commits. I bought season tickets cuz im gonna enjoy every step of the way. We have to discuss each game on what went wrong and what we did good but at the end of the day, not gonna question where the program is going. I said it before, if you are only happy with guaranteed wins, UGA and Bama have room on their bandwagon.

Yall see LSU lose to FSU, then look like a much better team v Miss St. Thats what u wanna see, adjustments and issues being corrected week to week. Previous staff we had, came out weekly with excuses for the same issues. We got players who were written off playing well.

When the last time we held a ranked team to under 300 yards on the road? Or rushed for over 150 on the road? We have to high 5 the small victories and count on the coaches to fix the issues that persist. Some of these issues, only way to fix them is get better players. So we have to wait for signing day and the offseason.

Leaving for the game in 50 mins. We run for 300 yards today. Go canes.

None of this is false…However, in 2022/2023 with the portal, it doesn’t have to be either / or.

We missed badly on WR and need to fix that immediately this cycle.

There is no need for foreplay, when we could be fuccin sooner than later in the current college football dynamic.
Yup. I'm overjoyed that we're finally playing stout football on the LOS. But to win a championship (which should be our goal every year), you need to be able to both run and pass. We absolutely need an infusion of talent at WR. The two guys we have committed is a very good start, but we need at least one more - preferably a taller outside type.

Advertisement
Back