Mario Ink from Adelson

Advertisement
FWIW, Hale linked this article early this morning and talked about feeling "gross" about Miami getting rich off COVID. His mentions exploded instantly and he deleted the tweet.

You want to see something really gross?

0941F99C-1F61-485E-9FEA-92CC0DE3C7D2.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Although we know a lot of what is contained in this article, it literally brought tears to my eyes - again. I honestly never thought I’d see the day that we would be in the situation we are now. For a long time Cane, I’m grateful and excited for what Mario and Dan are doing.

Advertisement
This is insane (in a good way):

Details rarely go unnoticed. As Cristobal talks about his vision for the future, he sees the portable flooring placed on the turf for a dinner later that night for the 175 former players returning to campus.

Cristobal has already told administrators they should purchase the flooring instead of renting every time there is an event to save costs in the long run. That is just one brief conversation among the many he has had since he returned to his native Miami to a hero's welcome five months ago.

He is opining on costs savings on flooring? Lord. We all anticipated he'd build a foundation but we may have underestimated him still.

This is insane (in a good way):

Details rarely go unnoticed. As Cristobal talks about his vision for the future, he sees the portable flooring placed on the turf for a dinner later that night for the 175 former players returning to campus.

Cristobal has already told administrators they should purchase the flooring instead of renting every time there is an event to save costs in the long run. That is just one brief conversation among the many he has had since he returned to his native Miami to a hero's welcome five months ago.

He is opining on costs savings on flooring? Lord. We all anticipated he'd build a foundation but we may have underestimated him still.
Worked at UM back in the day. They seem to rent everything rather than purchasing things (even small things that don't require a ton of storage space). I had to point out that they could save minimum $25k over 2-3 years by purchasing something rather than constantly renting and they were like, "Oh, guess that makes more sense." By doing that we then were able to use that budgeted money to invest in something else that ALSO saved money and made things more convenient. Just some common sense.

Advertisement

Just this sentence made me fall in love with Mario all over again:

"Cristobal has already told administrators they should purchase the flooring instead of renting every time there is an event to save costs in the long run."

Now THAT is a guy with a BBA and an MBA from Miami. None of that Ivy League academic stuff, just hardcore Miami business acumen.

Who ever would have thought that Shalala buying Cedars would by the puzzle piece that enabled all of the others.

Am I allowed to raise my hand? Because when there were a bunch of (politically-motivated) posters on other sites who enjoyed slamming Shalala for overpaying for Cedars, I knew that the healthcare industry in SoFla was a monster, if a slumbering monster.

Think about it another way...when I went to UM, the full-time undergrad population was less than 9,000, yet we had the 7th largest law school in the country. The med school was also a disproportionate money-maker for UM. And the MBA program too, including the Exec MBA side of things.

And then when you go up in a tall building and look around, you realize that you are in the middle of a massive 3-county/3-city megalopolis in the 3rd largest state in the US.

All UM needed to do was hitch itself to something that could be bigger than a "small private school" tends to offer, particularly when you focus on graduate-degree type industries, things where your MDs and JDs and MBAs can flourish.

Glad to see it finally happen. Great idea by Shalala and great execution by Shalala and Frenk and Echevarria after a slow start. I may not be a huge Frenk fan as a university president, but I'm glad he put the right guy in the right spot and unlocked all that value.

Advertisement
Back