Mario Ink from Adelson

Advertisement
It bled the university dry for a decade, it was an awful investment. Norman Braman and others resigned from the board in protest at the time.
The next couple of years are going to be more telling than the last 3-4. Hospital margins are shrinking quickly from lower payouts by both the government and insurance companies. Almost as much as that, the travel nurse trend is KILLING the industry. I mean it is insane how much labor costs have gone up due to this and with no end in sight.

The next couple of years are going to be more telling than the last 3-4. Hospital margins are shrinking quickly from lower payouts by both the government and insurance companies. Almost as much as that, the travel nurse trend is KILLING the industry. I mean it is insane how much labor costs have gone up due to this and with no end in sight.
Absolutely, the government filled the coffers of hospitals the last few years.

And UM Health takes some large liberties (legally sorta) under their cancer accreditation re: Medicare/medicaid payments. That party will end one day.

Regardless though, they appear to have righted the ship to a degree with elective care/specialty care cash cows (for now). They are trying to take territory via primary care feeders. Time will tell how successful that is based on trust in the "brand" (fairly high right now).

Mark my words, UM Health is now a system with a small private college attached, not vice versa.

And UM Health takes some large liberties (legally sorta) under their cancer accreditation re: Medicare/medicaid payments. That party will end one day.

Regardless though, they appear to have righted the ship to a degree with elective care/specialty care cash cows (for now). They are trying to take territory via primary care feeders. Time will tell how successful that is based on trust in the "brand" (fairly high right now).

Mark my words, UM Health is now a system with a small private college attached, not vice versa.
You have to think electives will continue to rise in the post-Covid world as more people do those things they put off for a bit. Those coming to a halt was what really put systems at risk back in the spring/summer of 2020.

Advertisement
You have to think electives will continue to rise in the post-Covid world as more people do those things they put off for a bit. Those coming to a halt was what really put systems at risk back in the spring/summer of 2020.
Fair points. Also, there will be continued downward reimbursement pressures from payers (government and insurors). There is also slowly growing pressure from Tier II-III (NP/PA/Med Techs) providers as the restrictions on their scopes of practice are loosened or ignored (in some cases).

But really, what do I know.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Who ever would have thought that Shalala buying Cedars would by the puzzle piece that enabled all of the others.
It wasn't. The story being reported in this article and somewhat widely, had little to do with what brought this about. What ****es me off is because the only person who wants to be in the forefront is Ruiz(while the others have different agendas & political ties in several instances they prefer to be more like key about how they move) it allows these clowns like this hale individual to form these narratives of how Miami got in this position. It's blatantly not true. That's not a complaint about Ruiz cause thank God for him & the rest of the small group. But it would be great if these people couldn't fix they mouth like this.

It wasn't. The story being reported in this article and somewhat widely, had little to do with what brought this about. What ****es me off is because the only person who wants to be in the forefront is Ruiz(while the others have different agendas & political ties in several instances they prefer to be more like key about how they move) it allows these clowns like this hale individual to form these narratives of how Miami got in this position. It's blatantly not true. That's not a complaint about Ruiz cause thank God for him & the rest of the small group. But it would be great if these people couldn't fix they mouth like this.
I said enabled, not caused. The university has enough money that they don't need to be miserly about athletics. The hundreds of millions UHealth is bringing in make it a lot easier to act.

There was never going to be a narrative where we were the good guys.

I feel like the school is the one who has pushed the UHealth narrative, which is actually not a problem unto itself. It is idiots like Hale who say covid without the understanding behind that. In some ways it would be easier if we said we have these five billionaire boosters and they are funding all of the staff and new building.

Advertisement
I said enabled, not caused. The university has enough money that they don't need to be miserly about athletics. The hundreds of millions UHealth is bringing in make it a lot easier to act.

There was never going to be a narrative where we were the good guys.
U r absolutely right. And I'm the one always getting on people for lack of comprehension. My bad. I guess I was just so triggered by that article and the comment below about COVID making all this possible and it really ****es me off. Cause while u health had zero to do with this situation, it definitely does help big picture.

I feel like the school is the one who has pushed the UHealth narrative, which is actually not a problem unto itself. It is idiots like Hale who say covid without the understanding behind that. In some ways it would be easier if we said we have these five billionaire boosters and they are funding all of the staff and new building.
Absolutely. But when is reality ever taken well.

U r absolutely right. And I'm the one always getting on people for lack of comprehension. My bad. I guess I was just so triggered by that article and the comment below about COVID making all this possible and it really ****es me off. Cause while u health had zero to do with this situation, it definitely does help big picture.
I could have been clearer in the message.

And I work in healthcare. Don't get me started over the false narrative that Covid was hugely profitable.

The story definitely feels crafted vs what I recall was the sequence of events, partially because of the author’s bias, partially because of the athletic department’s PR.

But the meta point that we’re pumping serious investment money into football for the first time in forever cannot be understated. Just amazing the way the U has stepped up. So impressive!

Is it really 5 billionaires backing the athletics line of business? That’s insane if true!

Advertisement
Am I allowed to raise my hand? Because when there were a bunch of (politically-motivated) posters on other sites who enjoyed slamming Shalala for overpaying for Cedars, I knew that the healthcare industry in SoFla was a monster, if a slumbering monster.

Think about it another way...when I went to UM, the full-time undergrad population was less than 9,000, yet we had the 7th largest law school in the country. The med school was also a disproportionate money-maker for UM. And the MBA program too, including the Exec MBA side of things.

And then when you go up in a tall building and look around, you realize that you are in the middle of a massive 3-county/3-city megalopolis in the 3rd largest state in the US.

All UM needed to do was hitch itself to something that could be bigger than a "small private school" tends to offer, particularly when you focus on graduate-degree type industries, things where your MDs and JDs and MBAs can flourish.

Glad to see it finally happen. Great idea by Shalala and great execution by Shalala and Frenk and Echevarria after a slow start. I may not be a huge Frenk fan as a university president, but I'm glad he put the right guy in the right spot and unlocked all that value.
I still think Mt. Sinai & Doctors Hospital would have been better plays..

You seem familiar with this. Out of curiosity, do you think that the medical industry may suffer in the next 3-4 years, and in particular, UHealth? I am curious if so, and what impact that may have on the university's interest to support athletics to the degree that we all want (and Mario is seemingly requiring!).

Advertisement
I still think Mt. Sinai & Doctors Hospital would have been better plays..

You may be right, and I'm certain there was an "overpay" element of Cedars.

I was still in favor of a hospital purchase back then, and I'm still in favor of it now. Yes, the last couple of years might end up being outliers in "how much profit can we expect". But overall, we are doing pretty well.

Oh, and the Cedars overpayment was not the only reason we were losing money back then.

Bygones.

You seem familiar with this. Out of curiosity, do you think that the medical industry may suffer in the next 3-4 years, and in particular, UHealth? I am curious if so, and what impact that may have on the university's interest to support athletics to the degree that we all want (and Mario is seemingly requiring!).
Honestly, it is hard to tell and hard to know without knowing where their emphasis lies and how they have invested or focused. Some health systems have gone super research focused or specialty focused. They may fare differently than a rural critical care facility or traditional acute care hospital. If they have urgent care facilities, or outpatient facilities, or ambulatory surgery centers it may shift the finances. From what I know about UHealth, there is the heavy elective, research, specialty focus. So perhaps they are insulated from it some.

The travel nurse trend is really causing problems for systems across the country and I have no idea how they fix it or how that comes to an end. Travel nurses typically make multiples more than employed nurses and the ratio of travel to employed has turned on its head during the pandemic.

However, part of the reason you consolidate all of these departments into one parent entity (i.e. The University of Miami) is so that you can blend margins and trends. You are diversifying your business, even within the UHealth pillar. Do I know how it would impact things? No. But I know they have some smart people running the ship, or at least they do these days. They have the main hospital, but then they have the eye and cancer hospitals and networks that are super powerful brands unto themselves. Both are world leaders that people fly in for. I would expect they will build out the UHealth Clinic network, keep building outpatient and primary care facilities through the tri-county area. They will be just fine.

@JD08 Any thoughts from your eye and experiences?

Advertisement
Back