Mario Cristobal on tight ends: Last year’s production “is not us and it’s not our offense”

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

There are only three practices left before the spring game, and players are starting to separate themselves. Mario Cristobal met with reporters to discuss the latest:

On the state of the team: Wrapping up practice number 11 and headed into 12 on Saturday. We will continue to do a lot of situational football and also work live tackling in a scrimmage setting. A lot of guys are starting to understand a little bit better what the standard is. Holding each other more...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Our offense is what the numbers say it is. Now if it's not what Mario wants our offense to be that's fine and I hope this year's stats back that up, but "that's not us" is kinda disingenuous.
You need to take into account the context of his comment. He wants tight ends fully involved in the offense. Miami has traditionally excellent tight ends. Last season the room was limited by Arroyo’s injuries, McCormick’s role as a blocker, Riley’s (and Carver’s) inexperience, and Skinner’s lack of development. This plus quarterback problems after the first four games.

There simply wasn’t playmaking talent to take advantage of and coaches had to make do.

“That’s not us” simply Mario’s way of saying “That’s not what I want us to be”.

Advertisement
Our offense is what the numbers say it is. Now if it's not what Mario wants our offense to be that's fine and I hope this year's stats back that up, but "that's not us" is kinda disingenuous.
It’s just coach speak for “we have higher expectations.” From Mario’s standpoint (and I understand this is pre-Dawson), the tight ends were way more involved in 2022.

"...Both Emory [Williams] and Reese [Poffenbarger] have really done a good job of staying on the heels of Cam [Ward]. Cam is obviously taking the ones reps and he deserves it. He's earned that and then both Emory and Reese are right after that..."

Emory DAW GAWD

CIS knowz whatz upz.

Advertisement
Our recruiting at the spot has been pretty telling

2025 class is gonna be elite with TEs so clearly they’ve been pitching this to recruits as well

It’s just coach speak for “we have higher expectations.” From Mario’s standpoint (and I understand this is pre-Dawson), the tight ends were way more involved in 2022.
Was that a Mario, Dawson, or TVD problem?

The answer is only 1 of those 3...

Emory DAW GAWD

CIS knowz whatz upz.
Jesus Reaction GIF
... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Advertisement
Was that a Mario, Dawson, or TVD problem?

The answer is only 1 of those 3...
I think the problems were threefold:

1) Elijah Arroyo got hurt
2) Jaleel Skinner didn’t develop his body or hands
3) The staff valued a 25-year-old Cam McCormick’s blocking over an 18-year-old Riley Williams’s receiving.

Based on the spring, Elijah Arroyo and Riley Williams are catching a lot of passes and look the part. I expect that to stretch into camp if everyone stays healthy.

I do get it, it's just my annual antsy Spring Ball panty-twist. Hard to get the thought of ignoring the TEs all last year out of my head. Really wanna watch who Ward throws to this year in Dawson's offense, and if our leading TE has 90 yards on the year again, we'll have our answer lol.

Advertisement
Good Lord I want to hate this comment but I know it’s true 😢
Get a hold of yourself BigSchlongPapi! That comment is not true nor does it have any chance of becoming true. With a healthy Arroyo and Riley Williams in his second year and obviously catching on not to mention Elijah Lofton, Cam McCormick will be relegated to footnote status.

"Offensively, for a long time here at Miami, we've always been very productive at the tight end position. Last year was the first year in a while we took a step back. Well, that's not us and that's not our offense."

You're not who you're want to be, in order to be something different you have actually do things different. Let's hope Mario has learned.

I think the problems were threefold:

1) Elijah Arroyo got hurt
2) Jaleel Skinner didn’t develop his body or hands
3) The staff valued a 25-year-old Cam McCormick’s blocking over an 18-year-old Riley Williams’s receiving.

Based on the spring, Elijah Arroyo and Riley Williams are catching a lot of passes and look the part. I expect that to stretch into camp if everyone stays healthy.
On the bold, the staff made a poor decision. Cam's blocking was a nice bump for a few games. He earned some snaps. However, then they continued to give him a disproportionate amount of snaps - even leaving him out there in the slot where defenses failed to respect him. This isn't hindsight. Here's a post about it from during the season: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/2023-snap-counts.187903/post-6833921

It hurt results. Mario's decisions/approach have created a particular reputation for his offenses. It's his own doing. And, hopefully, he'll undo it and, with Cam Ward, we'll bust out of it this season. But, it has to be through real life evidence; not delusion or double talk. I think @ghost2 was accurate in interpreting his comments as disingenuous.

On the bold, the staff made a poor decision. Cam's blocking was a nice bump for a few games. He earned some snaps. However, then they continued to give him a disproportionate amount of snaps - even leaving him out there in the slot where defenses failed to respect him. This isn't hindsight. Here's a post about it from during the season: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/2023-snap-counts.187903/post-6833921

It hurt results. Mario's decisions/approach have created a particular reputation for his offenses. It's his own doing. And, hopefully, he'll undo it and, with Cam Ward, we'll bust out of it this season. But, it has to be through real life evidence; not delusion or double talk. I think @ghost2 was accurate in interpreting his comments as disingenuous.
I get that in the context of playing another WR over Cam. That’s a real debate. But that wouldn’t have improved TE production, which is what @ghost2 was addressing.

I think Cristobal wants to throw to the TEs. That’s what we’ve seen in spring with Arroyo healthy and Williams older.

Advertisement
Back