Mario Cristobal on tight ends: Last year’s production “is not us and it’s not our offense”

View as article
You need to take into account the context of his comment. He wants tight ends fully involved in the offense. Miami has traditionally excellent tight ends. Last season the room was limited by Arroyo’s injuries, McCormick’s role as a blocker, Riley’s (and Carver’s) inexperience, and Skinner’s lack of development. This plus quarterback problems after the first four games.

There simply wasn’t playmaking talent to take advantage of and coaches had to make do.

“That’s not us” simply Mario’s way of saying “That’s not what I want us to be”.
Could be said for every position. That’s his job to fix. Pointing out the obvious from him sounds like he’s sitting in the stands with us.

Advertisement
Watch us break the huddle for the first offensive play in Gainesville with old man McCormick lining up at tight end.

I understand that they were hampered with injuries last year but I still don’t get why they felt it was necessary to use a tight end in obvious pass situations. You’ve got a blocking tight end (who’s mediocre at that) in the game on 3rd and 7. You’re essentially telling the defense they can ignore one of your players. They could have easily used another receiver in those situations but they were just hellbent on using 11 personnel

Watch us break the huddle for the first offensive play in Gainesville with old man McCormick lining up at tight end.

Me in Gainesville seeing that from the stands after Williams and Arroyo were praised repeatedly all off-season for their improvement.
IMG_4221.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back