Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Advertisement
16th in total offense that year. 9th among Power-5 schools plus Norte Dame.

That is simply not pedestrian. It’s actually elite.

His numbers were. And if you watched them play, a guy lighting up the NFL wasn’t featured, he was used as a game manager.

In comparison, van Dyke doesn’t have Alabama weapons either and has 19 touchdowns in five starts.

I would say the title is absolutely false but you make some of the same issues I have with Mario. Mario obviously would be best at Miami, better than anywhere else in the country. This is his home town and he has connects with everyone from donors to high school coaches, etc. He also was a coach at Alabama. He would be in a really good position to compete with them here. Mario is a **** good recruiter. Mario would be here for the long haul. This is his dream job. Mario also knows first hand what its like when Miami is good. He also knows what the issue are facing Miami perhaps better than any other coach in the country. Ignoring all this is just weird.

Now I am a believer in the number one issue facing Miami right now is winning. Its not recruiting. Any coach can come in here and field top 20 classes sprinkled in with top 10 classes every few years. If Golden could do it then anyone can. For recruiting to make a difference we need to keep the best of the bunch here at home and thats only going to happen when we are relevant again.

To be relevant all we need to do is win the games we out talent other teams in. We do that and we are in the ACC ship every year. To do that need a coach who hammers home discipline and fundamentals. I know everyone is going to say Miami never had that when they won, but all those Miami teams got the best of the bunch to stay home. We wouldn't need to be uber disciplined if we were getting those guys to stay home but we are not. Its the chicken and egg scenario. My concern with Mario is his teams lack of discipline. That's what make you lose to lesser more disciplined teams like Stanford. If we cant stop losing those games then we will not be a top 5 recruiting team that winning the big ship takes.

Miami is full of the most athletic kids in the country but we also have the biggest primadonna recruits in the country as well. The really high football IQ ones are the ones we are losing to Alabama etc. The best coach we could have here right now is Chris Pederson. I wont be mad with Mario but to me its a question of can he some how pull in the best of the best recruits fast enough to get out of this dumb football and dumb mistakes team we field every year. If we played disciplined football we would have 2 losses right now and be shoe ins to win the ACC, even with our glaring weaknesses on the team.
I agree with what your saying, but Chris Pederson isn't coming. He's retired. I like Dave Aranda, but he ain't coming either.

Imagine "penalties" being your argument against a coach who's won his conference the past 2 years, won the Rose Bowl, went into Columbus and beat Ohio State without his 2 best defensive players, and is in position to make the playoffs this year.

Some of y'all are committed to being unhappy about everything.

Advertisement
His numbers were. And if you watched them play, a guy lighting up the NFL wasn’t featured, he was used as a game manager.

In comparison, van Dyke doesn’t have Alabama weapons either and has 19 touchdowns in five starts.
I guess I'm mystified how a guy with the following stats was viewed as a game manager in 2019.

286-428, 66.8%, 3,471 yards, 32 TDs, 6 Ints.

I guess I'm mystified how a guy with the following stats was viewed as a game manager in 2019.

Over 14 games that breaks down to 247 yards passing and just over two TDs a game.

For a guy currently scorching the NFL, those are pretty pedestrian wouldn’t you agree?

Y’all do realize if Mario comes here it’s a chance he keeps our current OC and just brings his own OL coach right ? He was after lashlee before trynna bring him to Oregon. I know we been questioning lashlee but I also think his offense would be a 100x better with a better OL
That would likely be a win. For one thing, you mention the weakness that would be addressed. For another, we'd probably keep Likens, who is another rising star and it would help Lashlee establish himself before going to a G5 HC job.

It would allow focus on the defense, which is where the major change needs to take place.

Advertisement
I agree with what your saying, but Chris Pederson isn't coming. He's retired. I like Dave Aranda, but he ain't coming either.
People keeeeep mentioning Chris Petersen. I appreciate their appreciation for a good coach but we actually have a much better chance of getting BOB Stoops to Coral Gables than Petersen....and the chances of that are about the same as Mike Tomlin going to USC.

That would likely be a win. For one thing, you mention the weakness that would be addressed. For another, we'd probably keep Likens, who is another rising star and it would help Lashlee establish himself before going to a G5 HC job.

It would allow focus on the defense, which is where the major change needs to take place.

Exactly offense gets to stay in their system they know. Hopefully with a better OL it allows them to open up even more

Lane Kiffin has also seemed to build a very nice staff at Ole Miss with Lebby and Durkin. The thing is, he doesn't need to hit on both coordinators to be successful with him being an actual offensive guy.

Also, a quick not here re: building a physical team. Ole Miss is 3rd in the nation in rush yards per game in the SEC. Oregon is ranked 10th in the country.

That's not a knock on Oregon, just pointing out that Kiffin's offense is better at Mario's calling card (line play) in the SEC than Mario's team in the Pac 12.
Lane Kiffin has also seemed to build a very nice staff at Ole Miss with Lebby and Durkin. The thing is, he doesn't need to hit on both coordinators to be successful with him being an actual offensive guy.

Also, a quick not here re: building a physical team. Ole Miss is 3rd in the nation in rush yards per game in the SEC. Oregon is ranked 10th in the country.

That's not a knock on Oregon, just pointing out that Kiffin's offense is better at Mario's calling card (line play) in the SEC than Mario's team in the Pac 12.
Lane also has a beast at QB in Corrall.

Advertisement
Lashlee is not that good. His run game is terrible. His scheme is decent I guess but as a play caller he’s not good. His chunk plays for like 4 weeks in a row have been off triple reverse passes
He's certainly not irreplaceable...I've said that from jump....

We know Cristobal can recruit.

What's his evaluation like? Has anyone done a study on this? How many of his top recruits pan out to be NFL players?

Advertisement
We know Cristobal can recruit.

What's his evaluation like? Has anyone done a study on this? How many of his top recruits pan out to be NFL players?

AA40FA36-6005-405C-B0C6-B4A14EF4CEC5.jpeg

I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.

So, in your opinion who does?

Hey, but for real, on this topic, something went wrong with how Herbert was handled at Oregon. It's not even what he's done in the NFL. Dude stepped into the Senior Bowl and looked like he had previously played a different sport to the one he now dominated. People were even skeptical about the difference in how he looked. I can't tell you exactly why or how this happened, but it's strange to have not unleashed him while at Oregon. I'm sure there's some explanation we don't know about.

Here's an excerpt:

Strangely though, despite insane tools at 6-6 and 236 pounds with a live arm and effortless athleticism, in 2019 Oregon restricted Herbert, making him a secondary piece of the offense and focusing on running the football and playing sound defense. Think about that for a second. Oregon had a legitimate contender to be the No. 1 overall pick at quarterback, and had no qualms about placing him in the background of the offense. But, from a team perspective, the philosophy worked. The Ducks went 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl.

But it completely confounded the draft community. Why would Oregon schematically limit Herbert's importance? Why was Herbert playing so conservatively? Where were the deep strikes? The awesome throws while on the move? The long scrambles? Why are they running on third and long?

Advertisement
Back