Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

I feel like we need to dig up threads from 2015 and find every single poster on here that was celebrating Richt's hire. New rule: if you celebrated Richt's hire all your posts end in "Disclaimer: I'm a massive idiot and undercover Hecht employee."

Advertisement
HERE IS WHERE HE GOT THAT REPUTATION... He didn't just start recruiting at that level. This is people regurgitating poo. Mario was recruiter of the year nationally right here on the staff at the University of Miami... He is elite when it comes to recruiting. That whole Nike money crap is just an excuse to air there own issues out about him.
Won it at Bama as well

That was a bit ago when the program was hot. This is a whole new situation. I believe he is one the best recruiters in the nation, I don’t doubt that, just want it to be consistently done down in Miami when he’s head coach. I think it’s fair to say prove it.
Along with bringing in Oregon's best classes ever and winning recruiter of the year at Miami and Bama, he also brought in the best classes FIU has ever seen.

There is only so much a guy can prove before you give him a shot here.

You’re not going to find 1 realistic candidate that doesn’t have any red flags.

Mario, Lane, Stoops, Herman, etc. No guaranteed success with either.
Seriously we've gone through 4 terrible coaches and 1 semi-retired one and the guy who has his team at #3 is not good enough for us right now. Cause you know, there are coaches better all over the country dying to drop their programs for Miami. Listen if Mario isn't good enough, then we are royally and totally fcked cause we are almost assuredly not doing better. WTF exactly has Kiffin won? Cause he was at Alabama on the rehab train? At any rate, you are correct, all of them have their issues but the 100% guarantees from people here that this or that person isn't the right one is ridiculous.

Advertisement
HERE IS WHERE HE GOT THAT REPUTATION... He didn't just start recruiting at that level. This is people regurgitating poo. Mario was recruiter of the year nationally right here on the staff at the University of Miami... He is elite when it comes to recruiting. That whole Nike money crap is just an excuse to air there own issues out about him.
What year did he win national recruiter of the year at Miami? He was on staff from 2004-2006. Not sure anyone wants to take credit for those classes

Last edited:
So an offense that produced a 3500 yd., 32 TD QB, a 1200 yd. WR, and a 1200 yd. RB is outdated? **** we cant even get that type of production with our "futuristic" OC Lashlee LOL.

If Mario gets the type of offensive production that He's getting at Oregon that's a guaranteed 10-11 wins.
Fair point.

Advertisement
I disagree strongly on the recruiting.

Oregon recruited worse than us Pre-Mario. Now they are elite. A guy who coached with Mario at Alabama told me he was the best recruiter he’s ever been around, excluding nobody. The Athletic did a long article about recruiting and all the Pac-12 guys said that Mario was impossible to recruit against because he spends more time with kids than the assistants.

He is an elite recruiter.

When comparing the field of options, I like Mario because of his recruiting prowess and resume and experience

The Miami connection is a bonus. If that is the catalyst to get our big money guys to pony up then so be it

Is it possible that Oregon's uptick in recruiting coincides with USC's downturn, Chris Petersen winding down and retiring and UCLA hiring a non-recruiter in Chip Kelly? Mario isn't some magical recruiting force. There are real-world reasons for Oregon's uptick. More commitment from the school itself and their closest competitors going in the toilet.

Sure, it's possible. But he's getting the job done. And he's ALWAYS gotten the job done, no matter where he's been. He's regarded as one of the best recruiters by just about every single human being who he's ever come in contact with.

I said Mario would have our offensive line playing at a high level on a consistent basis and would also change the culture and recruit consistently at a high level. Not sure why you trying to come at me with all caps and curse words on those very same points I already stated.

No coach is 100% perfect. It's fair to evaluate the pluses and minuses of each coach. As I stated, I like Mario, Aranda, Kiffin, and O'Brien. They are all light year improvements over Diaz as well as many others.
Those are honestly the only points that matter from a hc perspective... The rest is simply surrounding yourself with competent football guys. We don't need some trend setting guru on either side of the ball as coordinators. We just need people who emphasize fundamentals and have a track record of coaching kids up... Far as caps or cussin at u I don't think I cussed at u at all and I didn't read beyond the coordinator comment. That's where you lost me. Because in pointing that out as some sort of negative in bringing in Mario you ignore any of the other points necessary in bringing up as well. For instance with kiffin, obviously he's got the mind for the offense but he also won't be able to get any competent oc to come in and work under him knowing they won't be involved in the offense and play calling. One negates the other. He's never had a disciplined team(which is essential here) as he's not disciplined himself & more than anything for me since he runs a fast paced offense you really need a home run as a DC because they're gonna be on the field alot considering the offense is all about striking. Regardless he's a moot point because why in gods name would kiffin come here as a step backwards from ole ****? He's got an sec head job and with a few good years there he carved himself out anything he wants in coaching. Here it's a stepping stone job unless your interest is long term. Kiffin is the exact opposite of stability. O'Brien I'm not sure why we'd even consider as he's simply another version of schiano who we've turned away twice and aranda I'm just leaving at I have no interest cause I discussed him several days ago.

If Its down to Mario vs Lane, the better fit at this time, IMO is Lane. Although either one would be an upgrade over what we got now.

I get it, Mario is a great recruiter. And overwhelming talent wins more often than not. My concern with Mario is can he recruit as well here in the CURRENT atmosphere? Not sure about that. Recruiting while at Alabama where they were coming off 3 national championships in 4 years prior to his arrival can't be compared to the situation he would be walking into here. At Oregon, his main competition is USC, UCLA and UW, all of which has been garbage as of late, while Oregon has some of the best facilities in the country. At Miami he'd have to compete with UF, FSU and every big name SEC school, and he can't sell recruits on the advantage in facilities.

We haven't been had sustained relevance in almost 20 years. Next year's recruiting class wasn't even born when we won our last National Championship. In the last 5 years our recruiting classes have only cracked the top 10 1x.

We have major holes on def, but we have a potential 1st round QB in TVD, studs at RB and WR. The talent is there to put up 40+ points every game. No doubt Lane Kiffin can make good use of the talent on offense. Mario is not an offensive guru and offers no advantage on that side of the ball and we have no idea who'd be his OC.

At the same time, BOTH would have trouble on the Def side of the ball due to our lack of depth on the DL and LB.

There is no doubt in my mind that Kiffin would not be here longer than 3-5 years. But I'm ok with that as long as he makes us relevant again in a short period of time.

Mario may be the better hire if you're thinking long term.

Advertisement
Y’all do realize if Mario comes here it’s a chance he keeps our current OC and just brings his own OL coach right ? He was after lashlee before trynna bring him to Oregon. I know we been questioning lashlee but I also think his offense would be a 100x better with a better OL

They were pedestrian by today’s offensive standards. Just compare them to Mayfield, Tua and the rest of his contemporaries.
So you should compare a run first team that lacked offensive weapons beyond Herbert & verdell to an Oklahoma squad stacked with playmakers and a tua led Alabama squad who had all Americans all over the field. I get your point and it's valid. But there is different variants at play considering Herbert was never expected to run that type of offense at Oregon and wasn't even on same field when discussing playmakers around him.

That was a bit ago when the program was hot. This is a whole new situation. I believe he is one the best recruiters in the nation, I don’t doubt that, just want it to be consistently done down in Miami when he’s head coach. I think it’s fair to say prove it.
But he has continued to prove it. He's still in this backyard getting kids. He still has those relationships that he built back then. Mario is loved by kids and coaches alike down here.

Advertisement
Those are honestly the only points that matter from a hc perspective... The rest is simply surrounding yourself with competent football guys. We don't need some trend setting guru on either side of the ball as coordinators. We just need people who emphasize fundamentals and have a track record of coaching kids up... Far as caps or cussin at u I don't think I cussed at u at all and I didn't read beyond the coordinator comment. That's where you lost me. Because in pointing that out as some sort of negative in bringing in Mario you ignore any of the other points necessary in bringing up as well. For instance with kiffin, obviously he's got the mind for the offense but he also won't be able to get any competent oc to come in and work under him knowing they won't be involved in the offense and play calling. One negates the other. He's never had a disciplined team(which is essential here) as he's not disciplined himself & more than anything for me since he runs a fast paced offense you really need a home run as a DC because they're gonna be on the field alot considering the offense is all about striking. Regardless he's a moot point because why in gods name would kiffin come here as a step backwards from ole ****? He's got an sec head job and with a few good years there he carved himself out anything he wants in coaching. Here it's a stepping stone job unless your interest is long term. Kiffin is the exact opposite of stability. O'Brien I'm not sure why we'd even consider as he's simply another version of schiano who we've turned away twice and aranda I'm just leaving at I have no interest cause I discussed him several days ago.
I stated all those positive points if you read the entire post. My post was in follow up to another poster on the topic of Mario not having coordinator experience. Context matters.

For the record, I'm not against Mario. He would succeed here. Regardless, what I stated from coach Hayes is true. He will be reliant on his OC and DC more than other coaches and like just about every HC will have to replenish those positions every 2-3 years unless he gets lucky finding coaches that want to be OC and DC for life.

Oregon lost to Stanford when their OC was out. Is that an outlier or a sign?

I do believe Mario fixes Miami's biggest issues of culture, the offensive line, and team toughness. He will also recruit at a high level year in an year out. He brings instant credibility so recruits will come.

Is he the right coach for the job. YES. I also think Aranda and Kiffin are as well.

I stated all those positive points if you read the entire post. My post was in follow up to another poster on the topic of Mario not having coordinator experience. Context matters.

For the record, I'm not against Mario. He would succeed here. Regardless, what I stated from coach Hayes is true. He will be reliant on his OC and DC more than other coaches and like just about every HC will have to replenish those positions every 2-3 years unless he gets lucky finding coaches that want to be OC and DC for life.

Oregon lost to Stanford when their OC was out. Is that an outlier or a sign?

I do believe Mario fixes Miami's biggest issues of culture, the offensive line, and team toughness. He will also recruit at a high level year in an year out. He brings instant credibility so recruits will come.

Is he the right coach for the job. YES. I also think Aranda and Kiffin are as well.
You do realize since you mentioned losing when the oc was out that any team is reliant on some form of an oc right? As in any oc as in someone actually hired to do that job. They were missing that. Most teams would struggle with same circumstances.

There are no slam dunk, perfect options. There never are. You'll always have risks with head coaching hires unless Saban became available.

Mario is a great recruiter who will shore up the trenches but there are concerns about some of his results and if his offenses are good enough.
Lane is a good recruiter and has brilliant offenses, but his defenses aren't great and there are concerns about discipline.

Despite that, they are STILL the two best candidates in the country! And I'd be happy with either of them.
Jim Harbaugh at Michigan was a slam dunk perfect hire. Haha- OR I just remember thinking that at the time.

Advertisement
Back