Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Problem with the CEO type is that they continuously have to make good coordinator hires year in and year out. I've wanted one of those offensive type guys around where no matter what you're getting one side of the ball taken care of. In a sport where you need a well functioning QB to win it all, ill take the offensive side over the defense.
Offensive Guru, Sarkisian, is having a hard time at Texas as an example.

Kiffin & Freeze are doing a great job.

Give me Mario where he will build up not only the football program but he will force the Admin to give a **** and build that infrastructure needed for long term success. To me that trumps everything vs a 2-4 year good run before that coach bounces to something better.

Advertisement
The fact we’re debating two top coaches as the next hire brings a tear to my eye. Lane, Mario, Stoops are all solid options.

I like Lane cause it’s the sexiest hire. Stoops would be great hire as well.

Mario is a solid hire and would establish the tough foundations that this program needs and has been lacking and he’d load up on talent. I wouldn’t be mad at any of those three hires.

Special shout out to Hugh Freeze. He brings recruiting and X’s and O’s to the table. I think he’s the absolute best option out there but I know it will never happen.

I don’t think anyone has ever thought of Kirby as having a superior scheme, it’s been pretty well known that Kirby is a complete Goober who has essentially been giving a Golden ticket to buy a National championship because they have 100 5-star athletes.

UGA has lead the nation in recruiting spending since Kirby got there, they’re spending $3.5mill a year in recruiting budget & have just copied Bama’s model of flooding the system with cash until they yield desired results.

Mario is a very good recruiter in his own right, but Miami for sure AF ain’t never gonna spend even half as much as UGA does in recruiting, so will the expectation for Mario be top 5 classes even without having the financial support to back him?

Are yall essentially saying he can out recruit elite programs even without the money?
If so, then bring him here now lol
LCE - for me, why he’s my choice - not only will Mario build up this program & set it up for long term success but he will also force the admin to fully invest in football. Obviously not at SEC levels but enough to build a solid infrastructure that can consistently win and be competitive for 5-12 years.

We fvking need that badly. Rather have conversations about why we only won 10-11 games instead of 12-13 games for the next 5 years instead of Manny’s lack of recruiting and sh*t scheme.

Rather be talking about Mario’s 4th year than, shi*, we just lost Kiffin to Bama or the NFL.

This is the full implosion opportunity and rebuild and Mario will recruit. He will lose battles but also win a lot of them. He would win a lot of football games here long term.

Very fair, as usual. I just think that dude walking around in Miami, with that logo on his chest, and that track record immediately boots the level of talent here, almost immediately. I'm not naive and I'm not going to say that we're going to start outrecruiting Bama and UGA, that's silly. But I think locally it would help out tremendously. Even if he can keep half the kids, or a third of the kids, who have been going elsewhere, it's a gigantic advantage.

I'd the thrilled with Kiffin too, don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to watch him and Lebby with our kids. But there are people on this board saying **** like Mario isn't a good hire, or they wouldn't be happy if he got the job, and things like that. That is complete and utter nonsense. Kiffin would be great, but Mario is a homerun hire in his own right.

I agree with most of what you posted but the concerns about his overall offense are pretty valid in my view. A lot would depend on who he brings as OC. He's gotta know that he can't bring an outdated offense here doesn't he?

Wait what. CIS told me he yells at his players and that means he has a disciplined team.

Advertisement
This dude really said “yeah Mario can get us to the playoffs, but what then!!?!??” WITH A STRAIGHT ******* FACE!!!!

Bro, 24 months ago we lost to ******* FIU! We just got beat by a 3-6 team. We’ve lost 7 of our last 12 games. Do you have any idea how out of my ever loving mind I would be if we sniffed the god**** playoff????
Legit, I wouldn't give a **** if we lost by 40 in the playoff lol just get me there so we can start selling it to recruits.

You make some valid points. Some of these were brought up by @CoachHayes on his Canes YouTube channel. Hayes was a grad assistant for Mario at FIU.

Coach Hayes said that what scares him about Mario is thst he's never been an offensive or defensive coordinator. Therefore, he's 100% reliant on getting good offensive and defensive coordinators. If your team is successful, you'll have to replace both coordinators every 2-3 years which means you have to get lucky with coordinators every 3 years. So, basically Mario would be Ed Orgeron who got lucky with his OC, DC, and QB Joe Burrows in order to be at that championship level. Orgeron needed to get lucky twice when his OC and DC left and didn't strike lightning resulting in his firing. Now you see his DC killing it as a HC at Baylor which Joe Arranda would be high on my list if he'dconsiderleaving Baylor.

Coach Hayes stressed the importance of being an OC or a DC in your background. He pointed out Nick Saban's model of success. Because his teams are so successful, Saban has to replace both OC and DC every 2-3 years when they get HC jobs. Saban is a defensive guy with a ton of experience as a DC. For his offense, his entire offensive staff are seasoned former head coaches that were also OCs. He can replace anyone on the offense because there is so much experience in the room that it doesn't disrupt the offense. Coach Hayes points out that Saban's new DC is a young DC from the University of Texas-San Antonio (UTSA). Why did Saban choose this young guy with little experience NOT even at a P5 school? He chose him because he wanted someone he could mold and tell what to do. He doesn't have to fight with his DC because Saban is the expert on that side and would bump heads with a seasoned DC. Saban's system makes the transition easier when he loses both OC and DC. When you've never been an OC or DC, what is your team's identity? You are basically Ed Orgeron completely relying on getting lucky hiring both your OC and DC in which you have to get lucky every 2-3 years on both sides of the ball.

The successful model is to be a top OC or DC and hire someone you can mold on your side of the ball. On the opposite side of the ball, hire as many seasoned coaches so you can plug and play with more seasoned experience when someone leaves.

Mario has no OC or DC experience and certainly none to be his calling card and that's what's scary.

I do believe Mario would fix 2 major problems and eliminate a 3rd.

First if all, he would fix the country club culture and make the team tough.

Secondly, he would have the offensive line performing at a consistent high level.

Thirdly, he would solidify top 5 to top 10 recruiting classes every year.

Those 3 things would put Miami in the ACC championship game every year and I'm more than good with that as we would win our share of ACC titles and make the CFP on a consistent basis perhaps winning a national championship once again.

I truly believe we have the play makers in the program to win a national championship. We need a culture change and to sure up the trenches and LB & CB.
I would add to this that although Saban was DC at one time, his area of focus to this day are the Conerbacks. He loves coaching them.

Mario’s specialty are the trenches. He lives coaching that area.

Mario will be more than fine here.

He's gotta know that he can't bring an outdated offense here doesn't he?

So an offense that produced a 3500 yd., 32 TD QB, a 1200 yd. WR, and a 1200 yd. RB is outdated? **** we cant even get that type of production with our "futuristic" OC Lashlee LOL.

If Mario gets the type of offensive production that He's getting at Oregon that's a guaranteed 10-11 wins.

Advertisement
Guys... #1 Mario doesn't have an offense. The only thing he wants instilled is power run. The rest is on that of. The reason he wants power run should be blatantly obvious to y'all. It's as simple as they are one of two teams in the pac 12 that plays power football. It's about killing the clock and trusting in his defense. The one thing Mario is hands on about and honestly the most important aspect for any um fan to recognize is he always instills a dominant oline. A physical oline with a nasty streak. For anyone that's not aware, a dominant oline **** near always leads to a team that will contend. When you surround a dominant oline with a serviceable qb and the weapons at skill positions that we can surround them with that is what leads to championship runs. You really need to understand if he was here(which still isn't a given,even though it's trending) the staff he has out there would have a large turnover here. For those of y'all concerned about what's going on and if the same issues are taking place all over again I'll simply let y'all know the board for several weeks now has been getting advised by someone who knows his ****. Let the man work and if y'all wanna pray for anything than pray strawley takes the NCAA job.
Dee - WTF do you mean pray for Strawley to take the NCAA job, dawg! WTF do you meannnnnn!!!!!!! What are you trying to tell us if she doesn’t take that job, DEEEEEEE?!?! 😂😂😂😂
Kevin Hart Reaction GIF

Guys... #1 Mario doesn't have an offense. The only thing he wants instilled is power run. The rest is on that of. The reason he wants power run should be blatantly obvious to y'all. It's as simple as they are one of two teams in the pac 12 that plays power football. It's about killing the clock and trusting in his defense. The one thing Mario is hands on about and honestly the most important aspect for any um fan to recognize is he always instills a dominant oline. A physical oline with a nasty streak. For anyone that's not aware, a dominant oline **** near always leads to a team that will contend. When you surround a dominant oline with a serviceable qb and the weapons at skill positions that we can surround them with that is what leads to championship runs. You really need to understand if he was here(which still isn't a given,even though it's trending) the staff he has out there would have a large turnover here. For those of y'all concerned about what's going on and if the same issues are taking place all over again I'll simply let y'all know the board for several weeks now has been getting advised by someone who knows his ****. Let the man work and if y'all wanna pray for anything than pray strawley takes the NCAA job.

Amen. Mario is a former OL. He’s going to want to have teams that have dominant lines. With the QBs we have and can sign here, the rest will take care of itself. Yes, he wants to focus on trenches but his offenses are not as archaic as people make them out to be. Moorehead is a solid OC and I’m sure Mario can surround himself with a very good staff. With good OL/DL, this team can sleep walk to 9 wins.

To me, defense is more of a wild card. Not really sure what kind of defense he wants to run. Not too familiar with the DC he’s had at Oregon.

Yeah, Mario is probably not a great game day coach but neither was butch. But, like butch, I’m sure Mario can surround himself with a really good staff.

Lastly, if manny and richt can field top 10-15 recruiting classes, Mario can definitely best that.

It's a dice roll no matter who gets the job. That's the reality. There is no guaranteed formula. If finding the right coach for your program was easy, everyone would have one. Every candidate has holes on their resume. The only certainty is Miami MUST hire someone with head coaching experience, and experience at P5 school. No way this can be the first HC gig for the new coach. Same thing for the AD.

Advertisement
What coach Hayes apparently left at fiu is common sense. What almost every oc we've ever had here since Dennis has proven is the only thing we need is for them to be competent. Other than Dennis we've NEVER had an offensive guru here who stood out with his offense. Matter of fact all of our success came at a time when we ran pro set. What lashlee has proven for anyone paying attention is our skill position players can make even the most basic of offensive principals Excell. This honestly isn't rocket science. What coach Hayes apparently also left out is what Mario truly addresses IMMEDIATELY are our two most pressing concerns. #1 ALL THAT PUSSIFICATION **** IS STRAIGHT THE FVCK OUT THE WINDOW... He ain't playing favorites and if you don't do your part than park your *** firmly at the end of the bench. #2 He knows his olines **** well and he will focus on whipping these boys into shape and targeting oline recruits moving forward with a nasty streak. Oline is honestly our biggest problem and it's not even close.
I said Mario would have our offensive line playing at a high level on a consistent basis and would also change the culture and recruit consistently at a high level. Not sure why you trying to come at me with all caps and curse words on those very same points I already stated.

No coach is 100% perfect. It's fair to evaluate the pluses and minuses of each coach. As I stated, I like Mario, Aranda, Kiffin, and O'Brien. They are all light year improvements over Diaz as well as many others.

Fvck the Mario hire. The simple fact that he has a connection to Miami tells me he would be a cursed hire. Sprinkle in the fact that he won't be able to recruit at the same clip as he's done with Oregon, his inept offenses, and the fact that our BOT, with their Anti-Midas like touch, has handpicked him as the golden calf and it raises every red flag in the book.

Also, he comes here and would ruin our beautiful boy TVD just like he did Herbert. Let him stay in Eugene where he'll never disappoint us.

Offensive Guru, Sarkisian, is having a hard time at Texas as an example.

Kiffin & Freeze are doing a great job.

Give me Mario where he will build up not only the football program but he will force the Admin to give a **** and build that infrastructure needed for long term success. To me that trumps everything vs a 2-4 year good run before that coach bounces to something better.

They also have arguably the 2 best QBs in the country.

Advertisement
So now Mario AND Kiffin could be in the ACCCG every year, consistently be in the CFP, and win a national championship at Miami. Great! Then there’s no problem with Mario or Kiffin.
No coach is perfect, but both of them could be successful at Miami. I just like Aranda a little better because he's great with defense and culture. I don't think they'll go after Aranda.

I do believe the powers that be with go for Mario #1, then Kiffin, and perhaps Bill O'Brien if the other two don't take the job.

Just my opinion.

In all honesty, the biggest negative that keeps popping in my head with Mario is Justin F'ing Herbert.

I mean, NOW everyone loves Herbert. God knows that in the days leading up to the NFL draft, EVERYONE was questioning how good he was. Then he gets to the NFL and balls out and you're left wondering....what the **** was Mario and staff doing to NOT extract that talent and maximize it.

That Oregon team had what has turned out to be a franchise NFL QB and a VERY GOOD offensive line. It's fair to ask questions about Mario not extracting maximum output from great players.

BUT.....at least he GETS those great players. He would kill it down here in recruiting. He'd represent a SIGNIFICANTLY better HC than anything we've had here since Butch. He's actually pretty **** similar to young Butch if you really break it down. Neither one is/was a gameday savant.
Herbert's last two years at Oregon (especially his senior year) were TERRIFFIC seasons.

Don't let the Dolphins messing that pick up get in the way of what Herbert accomplished in college.

This is a good, interesting post.

The parallels to Coach O are definitely there.

But I land where you do - fix the recruiting, the OL & the culture, and we should be able to back into 10 wins per year.

I am working on the assumption that Mario will be able to keep (lots) more of the local talent home than anyone since Butch, basically. If that doesn't happen, all bets are off. But if he can do it at Oregon, I think he can do it at Miami.
I do believe if they hire Mario the kids will come. He brings immediate credibility. He'll salvage the 2022 class if they fire Diaz before the bowl and hire Mario before NSD. I think he'd have a top 10 maybe even a top 5 class for 2023. It all gets tricky if Oregon makes the CFP assuming Mario would leave Oregon for Miami.

I watched several YouTube locals talking about the Blake James firing. One them said recruits have been texting him asking why Diaz hasn't been fired? Some if not most of the recruits don't want to play for Diaz. I hope they wait and see who we hire before they sign with another school.

Advertisement
Back