Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Oline is honestly our biggest problem and it's not even close.

Precisely. Just look at our last game as an example, that Johnson kid dominated our O-Line by Himself. Ditto with App St., we made their D-Line look like the steel curtain. Ditto with UVA, we made that Alonso kid look like an All-American. I mean how many years in a row are we gonna ***** & gripe about the poor play on the O-Line before we finally do something about it?

Advertisement
OP is regurgitating points that coach Hayes used in a debate type scrip to validate Mario being his #2 choice instead of #1. Lane was his #1. On that show and Mario 2. Said he’d be happy w either.

There are no slam dunk, perfect options. There never are. You'll always have risks with head coaching hires unless Saban became available.

Mario is a great recruiter who will shore up the trenches but there are concerns about some of his results and if his offenses are good enough.
Lane is a good recruiter and has brilliant offenses, but his defenses aren't great and there are concerns about discipline.

Despite that, they are STILL the two best candidates in the country! And I'd be happy with either of them.

There’s bad and then there is bad. The PAC doesn’t have 1 formidable foe to challenge. At least the other conferences has a roadblock or 2.

Do you think Oregon is really the 4th best team in the country?
Top 8, no less than top 10

Advertisement
"entire board" ? not even close. Georgia finally fired Mork for a good reason and a great number of Canes on this
board knew that Mork was not what Miami needed and we were 100% right.

in marks 15 years at uga he never once had a recruiting class ranked out of the top 15, 12 of the top 15 were in the top 10.

don't move the goal posts, I haven't said a word about his actual coaching.

And then we wind up with Jon Patke as HC.
Don't put that out into the universe 🤣

I have a feeling we don't completely **** this up. There are some good candidates out there, even if LSU, USC etc. are in the market too. Really interested in who we're eyeing as the top AD candidates.

Its been stated multiple times

1.) Oregon recruited a type previously with chip and other coaches. He would talke smaller ,faster guys or certain scheme fits that fit his system over rankings for example. Mario went to sort of a Bama look of throwing out a bunch of offers to all the 5 stars and sees what sticks. Its the one thing he does right..Recruit so its his emphasis. Hes not earth shattering as a recruiter though..he isnt Urban Meyer level of a closer or anything
2.) No one says nike money is the ONLY reason
3.)The reason he is doing well.....the only legitimate other teams in his conference....ARE DOWN. USC and Washington have been stinking it up sometime recruiting. Oregon IS THE TOP DOG OUT WEST. ****** Willie Taggart would be having similar classes there right now.
I disagree strongly on the recruiting.

Oregon recruited worse than us Pre-Mario. Now they are elite. A guy who coached with Mario at Alabama told me he was the best recruiter he’s ever been around, excluding nobody. The Athletic did a long article about recruiting and all the Pac-12 guys said that Mario was impossible to recruit against because he spends more time with kids than the assistants.

He is an elite recruiter.

Advertisement
I disagree strongly on the recruiting.

Oregon recruited worse than us Pre-Mario. Now they are elite. A guy who coached with Mario at Alabama told me he was the best recruiter he’s ever been around, excluding nobody. The Athletic did a long article about recruiting and all the Pac-12 guys said that Mario was impossible to recruit against because he spends more time with kids than the assistants.

He is an elite recruiter.
That article on The Athletic is impressive from a Mario standpoint.

Richt was not known as an elite recruiter and he struggles his last 3 to 4 years at UGA. Problem was Reverend Mark would not play the bag game. Kirby on the otherhand.
CMR may have not wanted to play the bag game, but thUGA boosters were **** sure playing it. Max Jean Gilles and Sony Michelle were 2 that definitely got broke off. There were more than a few cases. Now Kirby OTOH, is like a 15yr old with his parents credit card @ Best Buy.

You make some valid points. Some of these were brought up by @CoachHayes on his Canes YouTube channel. Hayes was a grad assistant for Mario at FIU.

Coach Hayes said that what scares him about Mario is thst he's never been an offensive or defensive coordinator. Therefore, he's 100% reliant on getting good offensive and defensive coordinators. If your team is successful, you'll have to replace both coordinators every 2-3 years which means you have to get lucky with coordinators every 3 years. So, basically Mario would be Ed Orgeron who got lucky with his OC, DC, and QB Joe Burrows in order to be at that championship level. Orgeron needed to get lucky twice when his OC and DC left and didn't strike lightning resulting in his firing. Now you see his DC killing it as a HC at Baylor which Joe Arranda would be high on my list if he'dconsiderleaving Baylor.

Coach Hayes stressed the importance of being an OC or a DC in your background. He pointed out Nick Saban's model of success. Because his teams are so successful, Saban has to replace both OC and DC every 2-3 years when they get HC jobs. Saban is a defensive guy with a ton of experience as a DC. For his offense, his entire offensive staff are seasoned former head coaches that were also OCs. He can replace anyone on the offense because there is so much experience in the room that it doesn't disrupt the offense. Coach Hayes points out that Saban's new DC is a young DC from the University of Texas-San Antonio (UTSA). Why did Saban choose this young guy with little experience NOT even at a P5 school? He chose him because he wanted someone he could mold and tell what to do. He doesn't have to fight with his DC because Saban is the expert on that side and would bump heads with a seasoned DC. Saban's system makes the transition easier when he loses both OC and DC. When you've never been an OC or DC, what is your team's identity? You are basically Ed Orgeron completely relying on getting lucky hiring both your OC and DC in which you have to get lucky every 2-3 years on both sides of the ball.

The successful model is to be a top OC or DC and hire someone you can mold on your side of the ball. On the opposite side of the ball, hire as many seasoned coaches so you can plug and play with more seasoned experience when someone leaves.

Mario has no OC or DC experience and certainly none to be his calling card and that's what's scary.

I do believe Mario would fix 2 major problems and eliminate a 3rd.

First if all, he would fix the country club culture and make the team tough.

Secondly, he would have the offensive line performing at a consistent high level.

Thirdly, he would solidify top 5 to top 10 recruiting classes every year.

Those 3 things would put Miami in the ACC championship game every year and I'm more than good with that as we would win our share of ACC titles and make the CFP on a consistent basis perhaps winning a national championship once again.

I truly believe we have the play makers in the program to win a national championship. We need a culture change and to sure up the trenches and LB & CB.
This is a good, interesting post.

The parallels to Coach O are definitely there.

But I land where you do - fix the recruiting, the OL & the culture, and we should be able to back into 10 wins per year.

I am working on the assumption that Mario will be able to keep (lots) more of the local talent home than anyone since Butch, basically. If that doesn't happen, all bets are off. But if he can do it at Oregon, I think he can do it at Miami.

Advertisement
Mario may not lock down one side of the ball although he’d fix the OL which would really help the offense. But he does lock down one area in a big way. Recruiting. Half the game in college man

Advertisement
My trepidation is not about Mario himself, it’s about the approach in general..

We all want the same thing, there’s just varied pathways to get there.

What I’m skeptical of is the assumptions, I don’t trust the assumptions that we’re going to transform into a top team overnight & I doubt that he’s going to replicate his Oregon recruiting at Miami. It’s not really because of him, it’s because of the program. I believe we need a coach who can work around the restraints of the program & IMO Mario is a guy who needs the program to be running at optimum level in order to be successful. Without the proper backing it’s much harder to do what’s necessary to get back to being competitive, the only way around it is if you have a schematic advantage that levels the playing field.

For the style of play that he wants I don’t think we have that here & I don’t think you can recruit that in one or even two classes. I think his style of approach to getting us to being a better team will take more time than most expect, because to go from the kind of roster we are now to being a physical dominant talent heavy team is something that takes a while, especially when you factor in the recruiting Wars we have to endure in order to achieve that.

I understand the emotional sentiment that comes with it & I get why people assume that if he came here that we would be waltzing into the CFP in no time, I’m just not gonna fall for it until I see it happen & if he plans on turning us into the same type of team he has at Oregon I definitely don’t see that happening as fast as everyone wants/thinks.

He’s absolutely a slam dunk hire on paper, just the methodology by which we go about trying to become a perennial contender IMO is much easier said than done, especially when you’re doing the way he wants to. I believe his method works in certain places, but is much harder to do at Miami than people really realize.

Very fair, as usual. I just think that dude walking around in Miami, with that logo on his chest, and that track record immediately boots the level of talent here, almost immediately. I'm not naive and I'm not going to say that we're going to start outrecruiting Bama and UGA, that's silly. But I think locally it would help out tremendously. Even if he can keep half the kids, or a third of the kids, who have been going elsewhere, it's a gigantic advantage.

I'd the thrilled with Kiffin too, don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to watch him and Lebby with our kids. But there are people on this board saying **** like Mario isn't a good hire, or they wouldn't be happy if he got the job, and things like that. That is complete and utter nonsense. Kiffin would be great, but Mario is a homerun hire in his own right.

Stoops working the D and Lashlee still at OC would win a lot of games. Is Lashlee perfect? No. He is, however, a **** of a lot better than a lot of guys we could hire. Especially with TVD back there. I kind of like that our O is coming along. What I don't like is that our D gives our O ZERO room for error. You can't have that with a young QB and expect more than what we are seeing. Every game is a toss up, because the D currently is guaranteed to give up 30 points, or however much it needs to to make the O sweat.

I know not everyone is sold on Lashlee, but I am convinced we could do a **** of a lot worse, and that worries me. It's going to suck to see our D get better, only to have our O get worse. If we keep the O together, and get a D minded coach, someone that actually knows D and isn't faking it like Manny, we'll do really well.

I guess the bottom line for me is this. The O isn't broken. The D and overall culture is.
Lashlee is not that good. His run game is terrible. His scheme is decent I guess but as a play caller he’s not good. His chunk plays for like 4 weeks in a row have been off triple reverse passes

Randy Shannon, Al Golden and Mark Richt have all had top 10 classes, Diaz was ranked 11 last year. A competent coach here should have no problems stringing together top 10-ish classes. But talent only gets you so far. Eventually you'll need to out x's and o's the other team.
Kiffin, Freeze & a few others are really solid candidates & would do very well here.

For me, Mario is a program builder & would be here long term vs other candidates that would use this as a jumping board for something better. I get that. All good.

But I want established, long term success for a good 4-10 years and to me, Mario is the best fit. He’s a CEO coach. A good OC & DC to make the talent he locks up into a formidable machine that is tough & competitive consistently every year.

Advertisement
Back