Mario Cristobal offers no discernable advantage

Stoops working the D and Lashlee still at OC would win a lot of games. Is Lashlee perfect? No. He is, however, a **** of a lot better than a lot of guys we could hire. Especially with TVD back there. I kind of like that our O is coming along. What I don't like is that our D gives our O ZERO room for error. You can't have that with a young QB and expect more than what we are seeing. Every game is a toss up, because the D currently is guaranteed to give up 30 points, or however much it needs to to make the O sweat.

I know not everyone is sold on Lashlee, but I am convinced we could do a **** of a lot worse, and that worries me. It's going to suck to see our D get better, only to have our O get worse. If we keep the O together, and get a D minded coach, someone that actually knows D and isn't faking it like Manny, we'll do really well.

I guess the bottom line for me is this. The O isn't broken. The D and overall culture is.
I read somewhere on this board Mario tried to hire Lashlee before last season, but Lashlee choose Miami over Eugene. If that’s the case, Mario might retain Lashlee (and if Joe Morehead‘s health is a factor).

Advertisement
Ask your self....

Why does he have avg qb play...Having ateam out west in the mecca of qb recruiting...after putting a qb in the first round...with the oregon recruiting budget.

Matter of fact his starting qb is a back up ACC qb for a bottom of the barrell acc team at that.

Just last year he lost to oregon state, thats **** near like us losing to fiu...maybe a step up ...duke level.

No it isn't like losing to FIU...You are exaggerating there. And half his defense opted out. And losing one of those games a year is a **** of a lot better than losing 2-3, or losing to the middle tier teams every other game. He has a 12 win season and Rose Bowl under his belt ALREADY and is in the top 5 this year winning at Ohio state with the top pass rusher in America out of the lineup? I also shouldn't have said "average QB"...At almost 8 yards a clip and all he does with his legs, Anthony Brown is a little above average as a starter against a decent schedule. And he has two highly rated kids behind him including Thompson who is well-regarded.

Again, he's not my first choice. But he's at least a leader who has won football games. You need the right OC so that he doesn't fall in love with running into the line 45 teams a game.

I think he gets us to the top 15 3 out of 4 years with an occasional conference title... A division title more years than not, and an occasional conference title and run to the top 5 or 6 every 3rd or 4th years...AS A FLOOR. So yeah basically I think he's a safe hire with a high floor.

I'd take Kiffin and Campbell over him...But he's a big step up from Manny Diaz, the man just isn't a leader.

Last edited:
I read somewhere on this board Mario tried to hire Lashlee before last season, but Lashlee choose Miami over Eugene. If that’s the case, Mario might retain Lashlee (and if Joe Morehead‘s health is a factor).
I just don't see a massive upgrade out there over Lashlee. To be quite honest with you, I have wondered several times if Lashlee himself wasn't more qualified to be HC over Diaz.

Whoever we hire, and I have serious doubts about us going to get Mario, I hope they think long and hard before replacing him.

Mario’s offense is archaic. I would hope he’d adjust at some point like Saban did who he obviously worked under. He’s got a lot of other pluses in his favor.

Mario’s offense is archaic. I would hope he’d adjust at some point like Saban did who he obviously worked under. He’s got a lot of other pluses in his favor.
Guys... #1 Mario doesn't have an offense. The only thing he wants instilled is power run. The rest is on that of. The reason he wants power run should be blatantly obvious to y'all. It's as simple as they are one of two teams in the pac 12 that plays power football. It's about killing the clock and trusting in his defense. The one thing Mario is hands on about and honestly the most important aspect for any um fan to recognize is he always instills a dominant oline. A physical oline with a nasty streak. For anyone that's not aware, a dominant oline **** near always leads to a team that will contend. When you surround a dominant oline with a serviceable qb and the weapons at skill positions that we can surround them with that is what leads to championship runs. You really need to understand if he was here(which still isn't a given,even though it's trending) the staff he has out there would have a large turnover here. For those of y'all concerned about what's going on and if the same issues are taking place all over again I'll simply let y'all know the board for several weeks now has been getting advised by someone who knows his ****. Let the man work and if y'all wanna pray for anything than pray strawley takes the NCAA job.

I just don't see a massive upgrade out there over Lashlee. To be quite honest with you, I have wondered several times if Lashlee himself wasn't more qualified to be HC over Diaz.

Whoever we hire, and I have serious doubts about us going to get Mario, I hope they think long and hard before replacing him.
Lashlee is gone if the next HC is a play-calling guru with his own scheme. Said coach will have ‘run game’ and ‘passing game’ coordinators but will call his own plays.

Lashlee may be gone anyway, rumor was posted he’s been entertaining HC offers.

Advertisement
Lashlee is gone if the next HC is a play-calling guru with his own scheme. Said coach will have ‘run game’ and ‘passing game’ coordinators but will call his own plays.

Lashlee may be gone anyway, rumor was posted he’s been entertaining HC offers.
I just don't want a defensive minded head coach that wants to protect his precious D by running some BS O that doesn't fit the talent we have on our roster.

And yeah, I can believe Lashlee is entertaining HC offers. It wouldn't shock me one bit if Miami is one of those teams. Of course, we'd wait until he's hired by someone else just so we can pay another buyout. It's the Miami way.

Ask your self....

Why does he have avg qb play...Having ateam out west in the mecca of qb recruiting...after putting a qb in the first round...with the oregon recruiting budget.

Matter of fact his starting qb is a back up ACC qb for a bottom of the barrell acc team at that.

Just last year he lost to oregon state, thats **** near like us losing to fiu...maybe a step up ...duke level.
You know I ***** with you brother but I really don't understand why you choose to die on this hill sometimes. It's like this conference strength conversation we had two years ago all over again. You know your ball way too much to say some dumb **** like that. #1 it's not even vaguely similar to losing to fiu & #2 it's awfully convenient you leave out ALL OF THE FACTORS that made that occur. Between injuries and kids opting out he was playing third stringers and freshman. At a time when half the country wasn't in the least bit focused on football. I get it plenty of people had to deal with that. But there's literally not one single reason to not see what Mario COULD do down here surrounded by even a competent staff. You forget he was in that qb position because he signed a certain someone that lil johnny was all in on and he landed. Ran off his back up in that pursuit. The mere fact that Anthony Johnson is straight trash from a bottom of the barrel run first bc squad yet he's still winning actually proves the other spectrum of your argument. Cause if he couldn't run the ball with those back ups like he does they'd be in some trouble.

Guys... #1 Mario doesn't have an offense. The only thing he wants instilled is power run. The rest is on that of. The reason he wants power run should be blatantly obvious to y'all. It's as simple as they are one of two teams in the pac 12 that plays power football. It's about killing the clock and trusting in his defense. The one thing Mario is hands on about and honestly the most important aspect for any um fan to recognize is he always instills a dominant oline. A physical oline with a nasty streak. For anyone that's not aware, a dominant oline **** near always leads to a team that will contend. When you surround a dominant oline with a serviceable qb and the weapons at skill positions that we can surround them with that is what leads to championship runs. You really need to understand if he was here(which still isn't a given,even though it's trending) the staff he has out there would have a large turnover here. For those of y'all concerned about what's going on and if the same issues are taking place all over again I'll simply let y'all know the board for several weeks now has been getting advised by someone who knows his ****. Let the man work and if y'all wanna pray for anything than pray strawley takes the NCAA job.
Hanging prayer flags…

1637044649651.jpeg

You make some valid points. Some of these were brought up by @CoachHayes on his Canes YouTube channel. Hayes was a grad assistant for Mario at FIU.

Coach Hayes said that what scares him about Mario is thst he's never been an offensive or defensive coordinator. Therefore, he's 100% reliant on getting good offensive and defensive coordinators. If your team is successful, you'll have to replace both coordinators every 2-3 years which means you have to get lucky with coordinators every 3 years. So, basically Mario would be Ed Orgeron who got lucky with his OC, DC, and QB Joe Burrows in order to be at that championship level. Orgeron needed to get lucky twice when his OC and DC left and didn't strike lightning resulting in his firing. Now you see his DC killing it as a HC at Baylor which Joe Arranda would be high on my list if he'dconsiderleaving Baylor.

Coach Hayes stressed the importance of being an OC or a DC in your background. He pointed out Nick Saban's model of success. Because his teams are so successful, Saban has to replace both OC and DC every 2-3 years when they get HC jobs. Saban is a defensive guy with a ton of experience as a DC. For his offense, his entire offensive staff are seasoned former head coaches that were also OCs. He can replace anyone on the offense because there is so much experience in the room that it doesn't disrupt the offense. Coach Hayes points out that Saban's new DC is a young DC from the University of Texas-San Antonio (UTSA). Why did Saban choose this young guy with little experience NOT even at a P5 school? He chose him because he wanted someone he could mold and tell what to do. He doesn't have to fight with his DC because Saban is the expert on that side and would bump heads with a seasoned DC. Saban's system makes the transition easier when he loses both OC and DC. When you've never been an OC or DC, what is your team's identity? You are basically Ed Orgeron completely relying on getting lucky hiring both your OC and DC in which you have to get lucky every 2-3 years on both sides of the ball.

The successful model is to be a top OC or DC and hire someone you can mold on your side of the ball. On the opposite side of the ball, hire as many seasoned coaches so you can plug and play with more seasoned experience when someone leaves.

Mario has no OC or DC experience and certainly none to be his calling card and that's what's scary.

I do believe Mario would fix 2 major problems and eliminate a 3rd.

First if all, he would fix the country club culture and make the team tough.

Secondly, he would have the offensive line performing at a consistent high level.

Thirdly, he would solidify top 5 to top 10 recruiting classes every year.

Those 3 things would put Miami in the ACC championship game every year and I'm more than good with that as we would win our share of ACC titles and make the CFP on a consistent basis perhaps winning a national championship once again.

I truly believe we have the play makers in the program to win a national championship. We need a culture change and to sure up the trenches and LB & CB.
I’m having trouble understanding if you are for or against Mario as HC of the U. At first, it seemed you were against Mario as HC because he doesn’t have OC experience (but he does). Then at the end of the post, you claimed Mario could have in the ACCCG every year and get Miami into the CFP consistently. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

Advertisement
Mario ain't perfect, but he's shown he can run a successful P5 program.

That is a massive step up from what we've previously had outside of Richt (who was burnt out).

I know a majority of this board has an unhealthy obsession with bringing alumni home to save the program, but Mario is not what we need. He offers no tangible advantage for this program.

I hear everybody say, he'll fix the OL like he's the only person in the country that can recruit good o-linemen. The truth is, people say that about him because that's all he truly brings to the table. He has no system that

Fans will also talk about his recruiting. It's true; he's killing it right now, but we've seen time and time again that you need more than good players to win games. We've seen watched Miami for over a decade continually lose to lesser talented teams because of coaching ineptitude. Talent only gets you so far. L to Stanford this year, L's to Oregon State and Cal last year. Also, lets face it, he's taking advantage of an extremely down conference right now--USC, UCLA and Washington are all shells of themselves and he's feasting on the west coast. That wouldn't happen recruiting the southeast. He'd have to go up against Bama, UGA, Clemson, Ohio State etc. for recruits.

How about discipline? A hard-nosed guy like Mario must have a disciplined team. Nope. Oregon's currently sitting at 114th in the country in penalty yards per game--exactly one spot in front of your Miami Hurricanes.

How about offense? Mario has to have great offenses, right? Him being an offensive guy and all. 32nd ranked offense in the nation. For reference Miami is ranked 28th. His offense isn't bad, but it's consistently been underwhelming. The narrative regarding Justin Herbert and his time at Oregon was that the offense failed him. He was used incorrectly and it failed to showcase his talents. Mario has no offensive system so he'd need to make the correct hire there. We'd also have to hope he doesn't hamstring that OC either by playing a conservative style of football.

Mario would need the perfect OC and DC hires to succeed because he offers no schematic advantage on either side of the ball. He's your classic CEO type head coach. Think about all the top coaches in the country right now. All of them have a calling card on one side of the ball or the other. Saban on D, Kirby on D, Day on offense, Riley on offense, Gundy on offense etc. I could go on and on. Mario is not guru on either side of the ball which means he'd need big money coordinators to succeed here, and that scares me. That's why I'm all in on guys like Lane Kiffin or Hugh Freeze. At least you know with them one side of the ball will be taken care of.
Not doing this today, OP! Not today!!
😂😂

Mario!!!

I think the answer lies in his staff, his coordinators.

I’m sure there will be a number of threads.
I think that was the Ed Orgeron model of head coaching. I don't think it's sustainable and has different ceilings in different settings.

I suspect you are more than correct about the possibility of many a number of threads in our collective CIS futures that will tackle this topic.

I keep seeing this, but Oregon never had a top 10 class ever in history before Mario got there. That Nike money that so many on here claim can buy the world has been there for decades. He is on the verge of his 3rd top 10 class in 5 cycles when they never had 1 prior to him according to the 247 rankings. Why is that? If the Nike money is the end all be all and the only reason he is doing so well? Why couldn’t others do what he is doing? I know what the rebuttal will be, and I agree with much of what the OP said and have stated several times that the man isn’t perfect, but I don’t question his recruiting at all. JMO
Who needs facts.

Op acts like Mario is risky which is cool, but how can you then say Lane? As somebody else said theres red flags for every coach.

Advertisement
Mario would still bring in top 10-12 recruiting classes every year. My thing with him is gameday coaching. We've seen coach after coach lose 2-3 games a year against far less talented teams. He'd be a better hire than any of our previous hires because I think he'd be the most consistent recruiter we've had since Butch. I just think he's limited when it comes to X's and O's which would put a ceiling on the program.
So Mario will recruit just like manny?

I’m having trouble understanding if you are for or against Mario as HC of the U. At first, it seemed you were against Mario as HC because he doesn’t have OC experience (but he does). Then at the end of the post, you claimed Mario could have in the ACCCG every year and get Miami into the CFP consistently. Why would anyone have a problem with that?
My post is a follow up on the @RiDLer80. I reiterated the points from @CoachHayes on YouTube. I do believe they are valid points on the negatives of Mario.

I do believe Mario is a vast upgrade over Diaz and would establish the right culture for the program. I don't know if he would be my 1st choice when I look at things objectively vs other coaches like Lane Kiffin, Dave Aranda, and Bill O'Brien. I would love to have Dave Aranda, but I don't see him leaving Baylor. Mario would probably be my 2nd or 3rd choice to Aranda maybe a tie with Kiffin. I think Kiffin is a great fit for Miami, but I think he could wind up leaving after 2-3 years if a perceived better job is out there. However, if I'm Kiffin, I believe I could win the ACC at least every other year and perhaps a Natty. I think the big attraction to Miami is the recruiting base and the soft conference schedule, but the weight of a P5 conference.

I would be happy with any of those four.

You make some valid points. Some of these were brought up by @CoachHayes on his Canes YouTube channel. Hayes was a grad assistant for Mario at FIU.

Coach Hayes said that what scares him about Mario is thst he's never been an offensive or defensive coordinator. Therefore, he's 100% reliant on getting good offensive and defensive coordinators. If your team is successful, you'll have to replace both coordinators every 2-3 years which means you have to get lucky with coordinators every 3 years. So, basically Mario would be Ed Orgeron who got lucky with his OC, DC, and QB Joe Burrows in order to be at that championship level. Orgeron needed to get lucky twice when his OC and DC left and didn't strike lightning resulting in his firing. Now you see his DC killing it as a HC at Baylor which Joe Arranda would be high on my list if he'dconsiderleaving Baylor.

Coach Hayes stressed the importance of being an OC or a DC in your background. He pointed out Nick Saban's model of success. Because his teams are so successful, Saban has to replace both OC and DC every 2-3 years when they get HC jobs. Saban is a defensive guy with a ton of experience as a DC. For his offense, his entire offensive staff are seasoned former head coaches that were also OCs. He can replace anyone on the offense because there is so much experience in the room that it doesn't disrupt the offense. Coach Hayes points out that Saban's new DC is a young DC from the University of Texas-San Antonio (UTSA). Why did Saban choose this young guy with little experience NOT even at a P5 school? He chose him because he wanted someone he could mold and tell what to do. He doesn't have to fight with his DC because Saban is the expert on that side and would bump heads with a seasoned DC. Saban's system makes the transition easier when he loses both OC and DC. When you've never been an OC or DC, what is your team's identity? You are basically Ed Orgeron completely relying on getting lucky hiring both your OC and DC in which you have to get lucky every 2-3 years on both sides of the ball.

The successful model is to be a top OC or DC and hire someone you can mold on your side of the ball. On the opposite side of the ball, hire as many seasoned coaches so you can plug and play with more seasoned experience when someone leaves.

Mario has no OC or DC experience and certainly none to be his calling card and that's what's scary.

I do believe Mario would fix 2 major problems and eliminate a 3rd.

First if all, he would fix the country club culture and make the team tough.

Secondly, he would have the offensive line performing at a consistent high level.

Thirdly, he would solidify top 5 to top 10 recruiting classes every year.

Those 3 things would put Miami in the ACC championship game every year and I'm more than good with that as we would win our share of ACC titles and make the CFP on a consistent basis perhaps winning a national championship once again.

I truly believe we have the play makers in the program to win a national championship. We need a culture change and to sure up the trenches and LB & CB.
What coach Hayes apparently left at fiu is common sense. What almost every oc we've ever had here since Dennis has proven is the only thing we need is for them to be competent. Other than Dennis we've NEVER had an offensive guru here who stood out with his offense. Matter of fact all of our success came at a time when we ran pro set. What lashlee has proven for anyone paying attention is our skill position players can make even the most basic of offensive principals Excell. This honestly isn't rocket science. What coach Hayes apparently also left out is what Mario truly addresses IMMEDIATELY are our two most pressing concerns. #1 ALL THAT PUSSIFICATION **** IS STRAIGHT THE FVCK OUT THE WINDOW... He ain't playing favorites and if you don't do your part than park your *** firmly at the end of the bench. #2 He knows his olines **** well and he will focus on whipping these boys into shape and targeting oline recruits moving forward with a nasty streak. Oline is honestly our biggest problem and it's not even close.

Advertisement
My post is a follow up on the @RiDLer80. I reiterated the points from @CoachHayes on YouTube. I do believe they are valid points on the negatives of Mario.

I do believe Mario is a vast upgrade over Diaz and would establish the right culture for the program. I don't know if he would be my 1st choice when I look at things objectively vs other coaches like Lane Kiffin, Dave Aranda, and Bill O'Brien. I would love to have Dave Aranda, but I don't see him leaving Baylor. Mario would probably be my 2nd or 3rd choice to Aranda maybe a tie with Kiffin. I think Kiffin is a great fit for Miami, but I think he could wind up leaving after 2-3 years if a perceived better job is out there. However, if I'm Kiffin, I believe I could win the ACC at least every other year and perhaps a Natty. I think the big attraction to Miami is the recruiting base and the soft conference schedule, but the weight of a P5 conference.

I would be happy with any of those four.
So now Mario AND Kiffin could be in the ACCCG every year, consistently be in the CFP, and win a national championship at Miami. Great! Then there’s no problem with Mario or Kiffin.

when is the last time a program hired a coach away coming off a conference title and NY6 game? Let alone a playoff game? I can’t think of a single time it’s happened. This would be unprecedented and the optics alone would boost this program. I understand the trepidation, but Mario raised are floor significantly. Our first step has got to be getting to Charlotte. I think Mario accomplishes that. The ceiling will be determined by his recruiting, which I think will top 10
This was way before my time but in 1976 Johnny Majors went undefeated at Pitt and won a national title and then left to coach his alma mater Tennessee. Dave Wannstedt was actually a grad assistant on that Pitt team. Jimmy Johnson arrived the next year as a DC too.

Advertisement
Back