Mario built this Oregon team or did he?

Can we stop acting like Mario at Oregon was Howard at Louisville? Like Oregon was a no name school before he got there? He didn’t build it from the ground up. He took over a team that had been winning for a long time. Being bad is an outlier up there in the last two decades. Honestly what did he do that was different or better than anybody the past 20+ years? Nothing.

2008 to 2014 - all double digit win seasons
2015 - 9-4
2016 - 4-8
2017 - 7-6
2018 - 9-4 (Mario’s 1st year)
2019 - 12-2
2020 - 4-3
2021 - 10-4
2022 - 10-3 (Lanning takes over)
2023 - 10-1
Nobody in this thread has made any statement to that effect ... he took over and did a very good job and left the program in better condition that he inherited it from his immediate predecessor. Lanning has done an excellent job both recruiting / portal / and coaching. Mario inherited a much worse situation ... and really blew his staffing hires in year 1 which has been a serious setback. Was totally unexpected that he would whiff like that on staffing. So far as a CEO he has underperformed vs expectations at UM. Hope he salvages a decent recruiting class ... gets a legit QB some DT and DB help and puts together a 10 win regular season in 2024.

Advertisement
Two things can be true at once:

1) Dan Lanning was born on 3rd base

2) The early returns indicate Lanning is a better head coach than Mario, at least as it pertains to game management and offensive philosophy.

I think if Lanning is our head coach with this roster, we win the GT game and maybe one other game. But that’s probably it. Bo Nix is the real difference maker.

What big game has Lanning won as HC? Oregon State? Utah? Wash State?

What big game has Lanning won as HC? Oregon State? Utah? Wash State?
It’s not just who they have beaten — it’s the margins. They are annihilating teams that Mario was in dog fights with last year. That’s the sign of a well-coached team. You shouldn’t play down to your competition and we do that more than we don’t.

The one thing I will give Mario credit for is, he usually gets his team up for the big games. We played our best football against are toughest opponents this year — A&M, FSU, UL. I just wish we weren’t struggling against the GTs of the world. He did that at Oregon, too, with big wins against schools like Ohio State.

Advertisement
It’s not just who they have beaten — it’s the margins. They are annihilating teams that Mario was in dog fights with last year. That’s the sign of a well-coached team. You shouldn’t play down to your competition and we do that more than we don’t.

The one thing I will give Mario credit for is, he usually gets his team up for the big games. We played our best football against are toughest opponents this year — A&M, FSU, UL. I just wish we weren’t struggling against the GTs of the world. He did that at Oregon, too, with big wins against schools like Ohio State.

So amI wrong to say that if you win by 1 or 100 its still a win?

So am I wrong to say that if you win by 1 or 100 its still a win? Lol at Lanning winning by 100 and can't get one dang banner, yet Mario can win by 1 and get 4 banners.

So am I wrong to say that if you win by 1 or 100 its still a win? Lol at Lanning winning by 100 and can't get one dang banner, yet Mario can win by 1 and get 4 banners.
I mean, it’s his first year — of course he hasn’t “won anything” yet. Let’s see if they win the PAC 12 and go to the playoffs.

Advertisement
It goes both ways. Good players make coaches look better and good coaching makes less talented players look better. Cristobal isn't going anywhere, so he's going to need to recruit his way out of this, both players and with a new OC. He needs a QB whispering OC that can recruit the 5-star QB's that he's been missing.

Two things can be true at the same:

Lanning walked into a fully-baked program with top 5 resources and facilities. He then optimized for the talent already on the roster and elevated the program to where they are now.

Sometimes I wonder why Mario walked away from what was a pretty sweet gig.
Because he would have been fired in 2 years. He was 14-7 his last 2 years, had no QB, and Oregon was getting restless with ridiculous losses (3 straight years losing to an unranked team while being top 10). He was on the downslide.

Miami was dumb enough to not look at the body of work and decided to pay him 80 million dollars.

The efforts these people work overtime to discredit Mario really is something.

Great, Miami isn't where we want it to be year two and Cristobal has his flaws.... but these fools act like he didn't hand Lanning a 35-12 program over a four-year stretch where he won the Pac-12 twice, won a Rose Bowl, had two double-digit win seasons and year rolled into Columbus year four to knock off #3 Ohio State on the road.

Newsflash numbnutz, you think Bo Nix and these others are going to Oregon if Mario hadn't built a program, a culture and a powerhouse Pac-12 program there?

The wanted to go play for a WINNING PROGRAM not for Georgia's unknown defensive coordinator who had never been a head coach before, geniuses.

Lanning literally took the baton and ran with it—but y'll sound like total bozos trying to discredit the program he was handed, as if that didn't have any hand in what he was able to build on.

Conversely, Mario got a team that was 21-15 under little beta man child Manny—a few years removed from a home loss against FIU where he let his hungover, curfew-missing quarterback get the start—as he as actively scared guys were going to leave the program if they didn't run the asylum (... an FIU team that went 1-18 over their next 19 games after upsetting the Canes.)

Even his little paper 8-3 run in 2020 where D'Eriq King's legs saved him—exposed massively in 42-17 loss at Clemson and 62-26 at home to North Carolina. Total fraud.

Cristobal left a winner behind in Oregon—while left Lanning something to sell recruits—while inheriting a stage-four cancer program in Miami; one that was 28-24 overall after Richt's 10-0 start in 2017 (which he wrapped up 7-9 before quitting and Diaz taking over.)
Mario is 5-10 in the ACC, Diaz won 5 out of his last 6 ACC game.

I think he does a pretty good job of discrediting himself. If you are worse then the "little beta man child Manny" that kind of says something.

Mario should be an offensive line coach in the NFL. That seems to be his true calling. The man knows wtf he doing on the line, I give him that.

Advertisement
**** dudes are waking up at 1 in morning to discredit Mario. Lol

Mario put Oregon on the path that they're currently on. Mario laid the foundation for Oregon's winning games based on physicality.

Mario is also 12-11 at Miami. Mario also balantly costed us a game we had 99.999999 percent chance of winning against GT. Mario has made questionable hires, coaching decisions and player personnel decisions. All of this can be true and still not take from what Mario did at Oregon.
Newsflash, but Mario is 11-12 at Miami...5-7 last year and 6-5 this year. Now if you want to count GT as a win, that would make it 12-11 but goes against your 2nd point lol. Either way, his record is terrible.

Nobody in this thread has made any statement to that effect ... he took over and did a very good job and left the program in better condition that he inherited it from his immediate predecessor. Lanning has done an excellent job both recruiting / portal / and coaching. Mario inherited a much worse situation ... and really blew his staffing hires in year 1 which has been a serious setback. Was totally unexpected that he would whiff like that on staffing. So far as a CEO he has underperformed vs expectations at UM. Hope he salvages a decent recruiting class ... gets a legit QB some DT and DB help and puts together a 10 win regular season in 2024.
The entire reason for hiring Mario and having faith in him is bc he proved he could do it at Oregon. And that he could build here, what he built out there. In reality what he did and built at Oregon was exactly what everybody before him had done. What I posted negates all of that.

Newsflash, but Mario is 11-12 at Miami...5-7 last year and 6-5 this year. Now if you want to count GT as a win, that would make it 12-11 but goes against your 2nd point lol. Either way, his record is terrible.
Reading comprehension is at an all time low.

Advertisement
He built the bulk of the team. Lanning brought in plenty of transfers on top of that however.

The one and only answer for Miami to succeed in the near future is simple we need an NFL caliber QB. If we have an NFL caliber QB this year we win at least 9 probably 10 games. Most of our losses were games that could’ve gone either way… With a good QB we likely win most of those…

Everyone always says Mario built this Oregon team Dan Lanning is winning with but thats not as accurate as most people make it out to be.

Bo Nix (up for Heisman) - brought in by Dan Lanning

Bucky Irving- leading rusher for Oregon also brought in by Dan Lanning

Evan Williams (Oregon leading tackler) - brought in by Dan Lanning

Tysheem Johnson (leads Oregon in interceptions) - brought in by Dan Lanning

Also three of the four starting defensive lineman...Brought in by Dan Lanning

The second and third leading wide receivers also brought in by Dan Lanning

3 of the 5 starting offensive lineman Mario brought in.

Mario obviously recruited alot of the players on that team but alot of the production are mostly guys Lanning brought in through the portal
I’m sorry but he is playing behind a Mario built oline and majority of the of the offensive & defensive players are Mario players 🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
Back