Mario and Mirabal’s Offensive Mentality

What statistical evidence of -20 value? I really don't know what statistics you're referring to and the time period
There is a great poster on here that has created a couple of threads with stats that delineate what I’m talking about. I’m surprised that you didn’t see those threads when they were at the top of the 1st page.

@RVACane, @JD08, @No_Fly_Zone, @WeBallinBoyz, maybe one of you can remember which poster shared those threads.

Advertisement
The lack of creativity in the running game, and repeatedly running the ball on the majority of our 1st downs from games 6-10 was our biggest glaring issue, in my opinion.

When the opposing defense, the entire stadium, and the people watching on TV know that you’re gonna run it up the middle, bad things are gonna happen. We tended to do the same thing on 3rd & short. At some point, making your opponent guess should be in the equation.

Also, you say that opposing DC’s adjusted after the 4th game. Well, aren’t our coaches supposed to be able to themselves make adjustments to counter the opposing DC’s adjustments? At least that’s what good coordinators/play callers do.

As I stated before, I will never blindly follow any coach. I know that I’m just a fan, and an unimportant amoeba in the big scheme of things. But after nearly two decades of mediocrity, any rational fan would know that words are cheap, and results on the field are what counts. At some point the play calling and game day coaching has to match the talent level, or at least not be a deterrent to it in order to create a winning culture.

Hopefully, this season we will finally see it all come together and at least be able to win a respectable 9 games.
10000000% agree on wasted first downs vast majority of the season. Especially out of that concept it's a joke. Absolutely when coaches make adjustments we have to make our own. I just know it may fall on Mario because ultimately he's responsible. But that's not him that's calling these things in. If we're gonna give Dawson credit for the good and blame Mario for the bad why doesn't it work the opposite way as well. A good to great coach in this climate is a ceo at the end of the day. He needs to rely on his hires to do their jobs. Just we have to realize the good and the bad works both ways. Not just all the ****. Also we had SIGNIFICANT improvement on the field this past season. Sometimes I suppose that's just me who sees this. Cause when I allow myself to read through some of the things posted on here I legit question how people see this game the way they do.

@TRick72 - I have a huge amount of respect for your posts despite our differences in some areas. My main point to the minions of bashing our coaches and thiss PHYZICAL mantra like Mario is straight on meat-head.

The bottom line is you want a balanced offensive output. We all know you want to be able to diversity. Mario is trying to build up the trenches to be straight BULLIES. All of the national championship teams as I posted beside, were top 50. Most were top 20. If we can not run well we are very unlikely to win the NC.

I’m open to debate. I don’t enjoy being Face Palmed without at list a hint of what was so dumbfounding about my thoughts.
Do u feel we had balanced offensive output this last season or no? And just so we're clear what illustrates balance? Is it what we attempt to do or is it only results?

Advertisement
10000000% agree on wasted first downs vast majority of the season. Especially out of that concept it's a joke. Absolutely when coaches make adjustments we have to make our own. I just know it may fall on Mario because ultimately he's responsible. But that's not him that's calling these things in. If we're gonna give Dawson credit for the good and blame Mario for the bad why doesn't it work the opposite way as well. A good to great coach in this climate is a ceo at the end of the day. He needs to rely on his hires to do their jobs. Just we have to realize the good and the bad works both ways. Not just all the ****. Also we had SIGNIFICANT improvement on the field this past season. Sometimes I suppose that's just me who sees this. Cause when I allow myself to read through some of the things posted on here I legit question how people see this game the way they do.
Those are all fair points, and I agree with you.

Do u feel we had balanced offensive output this last season or no? And just so we're clear what illustrates balance? Is it what we attempt to do or is it only results?
I believe statistically we were pretty balanced without looking up % pass vs run. I don’t believe our offense showed balance consistently. There were many games we were run heavy and then games we were pass heavy. We had no dynamic play calling where our OC caught there defensive coaches off guard. Straight called a run play when everyone was expecting pass and vice versa. We were unbalanced in our run game relying on the inside trap to nowhere far too often. Unbalanced in our passing game underutilizing our TEs and RBs effectively in the passing game.

Advertisement

This tweet sort of sums it up. Force your “identity” at the expense of being smart and creative.

I missed the “at the expense of being smart and creative” part in Mirabal’s tweet, even after re-reading it a couple times.

I get that a lot of folks on CiS think we should run some sort of fast paced air raid-ish offense. However, look at the vast majority of winning programs, especially ones with sustained excellence over multiple years, and you’ll see that they also establish (not force) their identity (run game) so that when they’re up in the 4th Q, they run on a tired defense to sew up the win. I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t have more passing and I’m ok with disagreeing on offensive philosophy. I am saying that I’m not ok inserting words into the tweet to try to bend it into a caveman quote.

I believe statistically we were pretty balanced without looking up % pass vs run. I don’t believe our offense showed balance consistently. There were many games we were run heavy and then games we were pass heavy. We had no dynamic play calling where our OC caught there defensive coaches off guard. Straight called a run play when everyone was expecting pass and vice versa. We were unbalanced in our run game relying on the inside trap to nowhere far too often. Unbalanced in our passing game underutilizing our TEs and RBs effectively in the passing game.
What about the second half of the A&M game? Everyone on here was popping boners like a 7th grader over our new OC who was aggressive throwing the ball with a lead to “end this MFer right now” as Dawson so eloquently put it.

That said, I can’t argue about utilizing the TEs and RBs in the passing game. That’s a fair point on your end.

I missed the “at the expense of being smart and creative” part in Mirabal’s tweet, even after re-reading it a couple times.

I get that a lot of folks on CiS think we should run some sort of fast paced air raid-ish offense. However, look at the vast majority of winning programs, especially ones with sustained excellence over multiple years, and you’ll see that they also establish (not force) their identity (run game) so that when they’re up in the 4th Q, they run on a tired defense to sew up the win. I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t have more passing and I’m ok with disagreeing on offensive philosophy. I am saying that I’m not ok inserting words into the tweet to try to bend it into a caveman quote.
The word “air” is extremely misrepresented when talking about an air raid offense. In fact, it refers to a fast paced offense that doesn’t throw it on every down, or even the majority of the time. Many think that “air raid” means throwing the ball all over the field on almost every down.

Advertisement
There is a great poster on here that has created a couple of threads with stats that delineate what I’m talking about. I’m surprised that you didn’t see those threads when they were at the top of the 1st page.

@RVACane, @JD08, @No_Fly_Zone, @WeBallinBoyz, maybe one of you can remember which poster shared those threads.

Modesty prevents me from agreeing with you that I’m “great,” but thank you for thinking of me.

It’s not that Mario wants to run the ball.

By all means, run it down their throat.

It’s the way he wants to run it. Out of bunched boxes with no spacing, piano TEs, and zero RPO or motion to give some eye candy to the defense.

It’s not that he wants to run the ball. It’s that he wants to run the ball like Joe Paterno did in 1995.

What about the second half of the A&M game? Everyone on here was popping boners like a 7th grader over our new OC who was aggressive throwing the ball with a lead to “end this MFer right now” as Dawson so eloquently put it.

That said, I can’t argue about utilizing the TEs and RBs in the passing game. That’s a fair point on your end.
You missed my other long rant about how TVDs mental breakdown is what really cost us the season. Our coaches had no more faith in him and he already had lost faith himself.

Advertisement
The word “air” is extremely misrepresented when talking about an air raid offense. In fact, it refers to a fast paced offense that doesn’t throw it on every down, or even the majority of the time. Many think that “air raid” means throwing the ball all over the field on almost every down.
Half this board thinks Air Raid is just throwing it every down. Literally no team is that unbalanced today. Leach was the only coach still passing on 70% of plays and well, he’s not exactly coaching anymore.

It’s not that Mario wants to run the ball.

By all means, run it down their throat.

It’s the way he wants to run it. Out of bunched boxes with no spacing, piano TEs, and zero RPO or motion to give some eye candy to the defense.

It’s not that he wants to run the ball. It’s that he wants to run the ball like Joe Paterno did in 1995.

DJ Dozier and Blair Thomas would have sat behind Don Chaney…

I was just defending McCarthy’s numbers. Most people think he’s a “game manager” because he doesn’t have huge numbers. It it’s simply just that they don’t throw the ball a ton. When they needed him to make a play, he came through for them. They let the guy who led them to 12 wins in 2021 transfer to Iowa because McCarthy was the difference maker he wasn’t.

You’re also making my point for me by pointing out QB play being the biggest factor in or wins vs losses last year. When our QB played well we won (besides Louisville) when the QB played bad they lost (besides Virginia). Whether or not the running game imposed their will or not didn’t matter. They couldn’t run against A&M, didn’t matter. The quarterback played well enough to win for them. They couldn’t run against Georgia Tech (one of the nation’s worst run defenses) the quarterback didn’t bail them out and they lost.

We’re always going to struggle against good defenses when our philosophy on running the ball is to make it very obvious what we’re trying to do. Which is my whole point. It’s not about running vs passing or percentage of each. It’s about the insistence of our staff to be blatantly obvious about how they’re going to run the ball. Everyone remembers the UNC debacle in 2020 when they ran the ball for like 500 yards against us. Not one time did they line up with an extra tackle or with multiple tight ends and/or H backs. They didn’t run the ball to the side that they motioned the tight end to EVERY single time like we do. They dominated with a combination of tempo, misdirection and formations that forced the defense to stay honest against the pass. It’s like they consistently tricked Miami’s defense over and over. Some coaches might not consider that an acceptable way to run an offense but I don’t care about how they do it. I care about the results. A 20 yard run on a qb draw out of a 5 wide set is the same as a 20 yard run where your offensive line powers over the defensive front. But not everyone believes that.
I entirely agree with this, I think we're thinking the same thing.
We're both cool with running the ball lots if it works that game and just don't make the formation and situation so obvious we're running, and we need a qb that need to be consistently average to above average.

I think we're discussion the difference between slight details.

Advertisement
Back