Mario and Mirabal’s Offensive Mentality

I read this before i looked who posted it, hit reply to say “you must be new here”, and then saw who posted this 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Man, you know using brains ain’t exactly priority #1 with our fans.
I don't think they even bother to look at the actual number of passes vs runs in comparison to other schools nationally. They make it seem like all we do is attempt to run the ball down teams throats and bend them to our will.

Advertisement
@TRick72 - I have a huge amount of respect for your posts despite our differences in some areas. My main point to the minions of bashing our coaches and thiss PHYZICAL mantra like Mario is straight on meat-head.

The bottom line is you want a balanced offensive output. We all know you want to be able to diversity. Mario is trying to build up the trenches to be straight BULLIES. All of the national championship teams as I posted beside, were top 50. Most were top 20. If we can not run well we are very unlikely to win the NC.

I’m open to debate. I don’t enjoy being Face Palmed without at list a hint of what was so dumbfounding about my thoughts.

I suspect the face palm from @TRick72 has more to do with the fact you posted the exact same post two times and 24 minutes apart.

I totally understand the game plan against Clemson because they didn't trust the quarterback. Ideally, they won't have to rely on true freshmen quarterbacks to start again any time soon. But Miami does not need to play it safe against 95% of their opponents. It's been a while since Miami has been at a huge talent disadvantage. Probably Alabama in 2021. Playing it safe and hoping for lucky bounces is some Al Golden, scared coaching.

It's 2024. Every team is reliant on quarterback play. You can't win with game managers anymore. At least not at a high level. Michigan went from a very safe and effective game manager, Cade McNamara, to an elite QB talent in JJ McCarthy and became a playoff/championship team.

Miami's offense, no matter how tough and physical they wanted to play sucked when they didn't get good quarterback play. It's as simple as that. Trying to downplay the importance of good QB play in this day and age is counterproductive.
You're veering off by saying McCarthy is elite.
He threw for over 300 yards one game. His elite trait is that he is a perfect example of game manager. Didn't turn it over, and had a high completion percentage, kept everyone in line and that cause them to barely have penalties.

The difference between Al Golden and Mario is, Mario clearly understand the importance of playing strong run defense first, Golden's defense were junk.

The blueprint is in Alabama. Even this year Milroe ran around and make a big deep Play every so often. Yes he turned it over a lot, but that defense got a lot of turnover too plus had a strong run game.

It'll come and be patient.

You're veering off by saying McCarthy is elite.
He threw for over 300 yards one game. His elite trait is that he is a perfect example of game manager. Didn't turn it over, and had a high completion percentage, kept everyone in line and that cause them to barely have penalties.

The difference between Al Golden and Mario is, Mario clearly understand the importance of playing strong run defense first, Golden's defense were junk.

The blueprint is in Alabama. Even this year Milroe ran around and make a big deep Play every so often. Yes he turned it over a lot, but that defense got a lot of turnover too plus had a strong run game.

It'll come and be patient.
Mc Carthy's stats weren't elite because of the offense he played in. If he was in a more passer friendly system, his numbers would have reflected that. He'll be a first round pick.

I'm confident we'll be better on offense this year. I really like Ward and I saw what the offense looked like with a healthy Van Dyke last year.

Why do fans choose to look at the good that they embrace and say our qb is Killin it. Our wr group is Killin it. Then the second the results fall apart they blame the head coach,the offensive line coach say the oc and the qb are micromanaged when the vast majority of the plays being ran are exactly the same as the ones we ran previously? I get it's convenient to constantly blame the known commodity for everything. But once in a while people can try to use their brains as well.
I’ve always respected you, and mostly agreed with you over the years. Never once have I accused you of not using your brain because I may disagree with you on a particular point.

I have eyes to see with, and have followed Mario’s career path for the last few years. Stats do not lie. Various posters have also shared statistical data that shows that Mario’s teams’ offenses have had a horrible negative value over the years. That is to say, more games of negative value in the -20.00 or greater range than all but Iowa.

I guess pointing this out is not acceptable, and seen as attacking Mario. I have supported him in his recruiting, and said that he’s an elite recruiter various times since he got here. I always give him credit for his talent for landing talented players.

What I will not ever do with any coach is blindly follow him, specially when the data, and the evidence on the field on Saturdays say that he is not a good game day coach, and that he is ultra-conservative and stubborn as a mule.

He is 12-13 now as our HC. He needs to start winning soon, just like any other HC that’s at a program with high expectations. From most of what we’ve heard since he got here, he’s receiving a ton of financial support and has total control over the program.

Advertisement

This tweet sort of sums it up. Force your “identity” at the expense of being smart and creative.

Sheesh. That a reach in all 50 states. He literally said he preferred to designated runs instead giving the option to run or pass. Because if giving the option the QB is going lean toward passing it instead of letting the RB run through a hole as wide as Mia Khalifa

How many time has guy been giving the option to the pass the ball on a trick play and the coach tells them if it ain't there throw it away. This ************ stills throw it into triple coverage.

This tweet sort of sums it up. Force your “identity” at the expense of being smart and creative.

1000002516.gif

I’ve always respected you, and mostly agreed with you over the years. Never once have I accused you of not using your brain because I may disagree with you on a particular point.

I have eyes to see with, and have followed Mario’s career path for the last few years. Stats do not lie. Various posters have also shared statistical data that shows that Mario’s teams’ offenses have had a horrible negative value over the years. That is to say, more games of negative value in the -20.00 or greater range than all but Iowa.

I guess pointing this out is not acceptable, and seen as attacking Mario. I have supported him in his recruiting, and said that he’s an elite recruiter various times since he got here. I always give him credit for his talent for landing talented players.

What I will not ever do with any coach is blindly follow him, specially when the data, and the evidence on the field on Saturdays say that he is not a good game day coach, and that he is ultra-conservative and stubborn as a mule.

He is 12-13 now as our HC. He needs to start winning soon, just like any other HC that’s at a program with high expectations. From most of what we’ve heard since he got here, he’s receiving a ton of financial support and has total control over the program.
I respect you as well. I respect MOST on here. I agree when it comes to game day coaching he's got a lot of room for improvement. My point was good or bad do some research and establish value in what we critique. Most would consider say usc a wide open offense. I'd be willing to bet when it relates to how many passing ATTEMPTS we made it was probably very comparable. In that same note I'd say more than likely we ran the ball more often than them but not how people make it seem like all we do is run. I'd say it's a relatively even split between run and pass. That's just my guess from eyeing it but I'd bet it's pretty accurate. My issue is simply the first 4 games when dcs weren't making adjustments to us we were killing it statistically. That game on defenses made adjustments but except the game against tech we still ran essentially the same exact variety of things we ran previously. So why not say from day 1 even with results this isn't what we should be doing and Mario is killing our offense? The only difference came down to execution. When players don't execute you know what ANY COACH WILL DO? He'll make adjustments. Play calling, personnel & schematically. That's not a Mario thing. That's a coaching thing. And while his results certainly aren't where we all want them to be, people were told day #1 this **** needs to be burnt down and built back up with the right foundation. People simply didn't want to hear it while he's screaming from the mountain tops the u has to get back to work. What did people think that meant? Anyone looking at this with an open mind can see clear as day that year #1 and year #2 we had a monumental improvement. It doesn't just come down to winning a couple more games. We're growing up and we're doing it right. People can either understand as a team you either learn how to win together or you fall apart. We're learning how to win & this process were seeing now is necessary

@TRick72 - I have a huge amount of respect for your posts despite our differences in some areas. My main point to the minions of bashing our coaches and thiss PHYZICAL mantra like Mario is straight on meat-head.

The bottom line is you want a balanced offensive output. We all know you want to be able to diversity. Mario is trying to build up the trenches to be straight BULLIES. All of the national championship teams as I posted beside, were top 50. Most were top 20. If we can not run well we are very unlikely to win the NC.

I’m open to debate. I don’t enjoy being Face Palmed without at list a hint of what was so dumbfounding about my thoughts.
I facepalmed your post because you posted the same exact thing within 23 minutes of each other. I figured you reposted it because you were eager for a reaction so I gave you the one that I thought fit best.

In any event, since you asked for my input a lot of the “physical thrashing and bombardment” and “unnecessary hate on rinse and repeat “ is just dudes cracking jokes and posting meme’s about Mirabal’s comments. Sure a lot of the jokes are grounded in some truth but mostly it’s just dudes having fun. Relax no need to get worked up and feel that everything has to be vigorously defended.

Advertisement
Mc Carthy's stats weren't elite because of the offense he played in. If he was in a more passer friendly system, his numbers would have reflected that. He'll be a first round pick.

I'm confident we'll be better on offense this year. I really like Ward and I saw what the offense looked like with a healthy Van Dyke last year.
Naturally a qb would have better stats if they passed more that's a given. If he's a first round QB I'd be floored, I don't see him better then a worse passer but more athletic version of Mac Jones.

Is the goal of having better QB stats/offense or winning? Because you're kind of going back and forth.

We had the number 31 offense last year. The offense and the yardage was never the problem, it was turnovers. We had a freshmen QB who didn't turn it over and barely asked to do anything, and we always had a shot at winning those games. Turnovers killed us, i.e. TVD throwing the dumbest picks ever, which led to poor field position etc.

Marginally better QB last year and we're a ten winning team easy. This year will be interesting.
I think the foundation and blueprint is there for some great success.

I facepalmed your post because you posted the same exact thing within 23 minutes of each other. I figured you reposted it because you were eager for a reaction so I gave you the one that I thought fit best.

In any event, since you asked for my input a lot of the “physical thrashing and bombardment” and “unnecessary hate on rinse and repeat “ is just dudes cracking jokes and posting meme’s about Mirabal’s comments. Sure a lot of the jokes are grounded in some truth but mostly it’s just dudes having fun. Relax no need to get worked up and feel that everything has to be vigorously defended.
I appreciate that. I also told another poster. I was a little tipsy and way too into my feels in an extra wordy way…. My bad!

Advertisement
This is pretty much all that needs to be said when it comes to 2023:

Turnover margin in the 7 wins: +6

Turnover margin in the 6 losses: -10

94th in the country in turnover margin. Michigan was #1, by the way.

Fizzical, bro style, caveman, air raid….none of that **** matters a lick when you give the ball away 21 times in 12 games.

Oh, and those don’t even include the 2 blocked punts, which should be counted as turnovers. So really let’s say 23 in 12 games. You’re never, ever gonna be a good team like that. I don’t care what your OL coach tweets.

Mario has to be better in-game. He’s been absolutely dreadful. But we gotta stop giving the ball to the other team, too. And it falls on the coaching, as does everything. But the kids gotta hold up their end of the bargain too. Some (many) of those throws TVD made were flat inexcusable and complete back breakers.

Advertisement

What statistical evidence of -20 value? I really don't know what statistics you're referring to and the time period

I respect you as well. I respect MOST on here. I agree when it comes to game day coaching he's got a lot of room for improvement. My point was good or bad do some research and establish value in what we critique. Most would consider say usc a wide open offense. I'd be willing to bet when it relates to how many passing ATTEMPTS we made it was probably very comparable. In that same note I'd say more than likely we ran the ball more often than them but not how people make it seem like all we do is run. I'd say it's a relatively even split between run and pass. That's just my guess from eyeing it but I'd bet it's pretty accurate. My issue is simply the first 4 games when dcs weren't making adjustments to us we were killing it statistically. That game on defenses made adjustments but except the game against tech we still ran essentially the same exact variety of things we ran previously. So why not say from day 1 even with results this isn't what we should be doing and Mario is killing our offense? The only difference came down to execution. When players don't execute you know what ANY COACH WILL DO? He'll make adjustments. Play calling, personnel & schematically. That's not a Mario thing. That's a coaching thing. And while his results certainly aren't where we all want them to be, people were told day #1 this **** needs to be burnt down and built back up with the right foundation. People simply didn't want to hear it while he's screaming from the mountain tops the u has to get back to work. What did people think that meant? Anyone looking at this with an open mind can see clear as day that year #1 and year #2 we had a monumental improvement. It doesn't just come down to winning a couple more games. We're growing up and we're doing it right. People can either understand as a team you either learn how to win together or you fall apart. We're learning how to win & this process were seeing now is necessary
The lack of creativity in the running game, and repeatedly running the ball on the majority of our 1st downs from games 6-10 was our biggest glaring issue, in my opinion.

When the opposing defense, the entire stadium, and the people watching on TV know that you’re gonna run it up the middle, bad things are gonna happen. We tended to do the same thing on 3rd & short. At some point, making your opponent guess should be in the equation.

Also, you say that opposing DC’s adjusted after the 4th game. Well, aren’t our coaches supposed to be able to themselves make adjustments to counter the opposing DC’s adjustments? At least that’s what good coordinators/play callers do.

As I stated before, I will never blindly follow any coach. I know that I’m just a fan, and an unimportant amoeba in the big scheme of things. But after nearly two decades of mediocrity, any rational fan would know that words are cheap, and results on the field are what counts. At some point the play calling and game day coaching has to match the talent level, or at least not be a deterrent to it in order to create a winning culture.

Hopefully, this season we will finally see it all come together and at least be able to win a respectable 9 games.

Is the goal of having better QB stats/offense or winning? Because you're kind of going back and forth.
etc.
I was just defending McCarthy’s numbers. Most people think he’s a “game manager” because he doesn’t have huge numbers. It it’s simply just that they don’t throw the ball a ton. When they needed him to make a play, he came through for them. They let the guy who led them to 12 wins in 2021 transfer to Iowa because McCarthy was the difference maker he wasn’t.

You’re also making my point for me by pointing out QB play being the biggest factor in or wins vs losses last year. When our QB played well we won (besides Louisville) when the QB played bad they lost (besides Virginia). Whether or not the running game imposed their will or not didn’t matter. They couldn’t run against A&M, didn’t matter. The quarterback played well enough to win for them. They couldn’t run against Georgia Tech (one of the nation’s worst run defenses) the quarterback didn’t bail them out and they lost.

We’re always going to struggle against good defenses when our philosophy on running the ball is to make it very obvious what we’re trying to do. Which is my whole point. It’s not about running vs passing or percentage of each. It’s about the insistence of our staff to be blatantly obvious about how they’re going to run the ball. Everyone remembers the UNC debacle in 2020 when they ran the ball for like 500 yards against us. Not one time did they line up with an extra tackle or with multiple tight ends and/or H backs. They didn’t run the ball to the side that they motioned the tight end to EVERY single time like we do. They dominated with a combination of tempo, misdirection and formations that forced the defense to stay honest against the pass. It’s like they consistently tricked Miami’s defense over and over. Some coaches might not consider that an acceptable way to run an offense but I don’t care about how they do it. I care about the results. A 20 yard run on a qb draw out of a 5 wide set is the same as a 20 yard run where your offensive line powers over the defensive front. But not everyone believes that.

Advertisement
Back