Marcus Dumervil- "Make The Crib Great Again"

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
South Florida has great high school football talent, but the offensive line depth and overall talent is not the best. This means when there is talent on the offensive line down here, Miami needs to identify it early and get a head start. This is exactly what Miami has done with 2020 offensive tackle Marcus Dumervil. The 6’6’’ 295 pound offensive lineman picked up a Miami offer earlier this year.

Dumervil is at St. Thomas Aquinas and is one of the few players who has been there since his freshman year. Right now, he is working on improving his game during the month of spring football.

“I like where I’m at right now. I feel comfortable. I can move well. Spring football has been going well. We have our Spring Game next Thursday at 5. Everything is going pretty well right now.”

Dumervil is such a talented player that he can play both offense and defense, but so far this spring he has been focusing on just one side of the ball.

“I’ve been playing offensive line this spring so I’m just working getting ready for the season.”

Most colleges are recruiting Dumervil as an offensive lineman, so it looks like his future career will be in protecting the QB rather than sacking him.

Miami has had two St. Thomas linebackers recently commit and they are hoping to get some more defensive talent on board. What does this mean for Dumervil’s recruitment?

“They aren’t really forcing or pushing me in any direction.”

Dumervil has spent his offseason improving his game by competing against some of the most talented defensive lineman in the state.

“I went to the Opening, Under Armour, and Rivals camp. It went pretty well. I filed out a couple of my strengths and a couple weaknesses.”

When asked about his goals for the upcoming season, Dumervil gave pretty much the same answer that all the Aquinas kids give.

“My personal goal is a team goal. Dominate each game and finish the season as state champions.”

It is easy to tell that Dumervil was excited when he received an offer from Miami. He still has the offer as his pinned tweet on twitter.

“It is an honor of course. The University of Miami is a pretty big time school. I grew up playing for the Fort Lauderdale Hurricanes, so it means a little more growing up here in South Florida. It is a pretty exciting time and I am just humbled and grateful for that.”

Dumervil was on campus in Coral Gables twice this spring. Once to watch a basketball game and once for underclassman day.

“We watched some of the basketball game. We just talked. Talked football and stuff like that.”

What did he think of the underclassman day?

“It was pretty fun. Great atmosphere. We got to watch practice. Guys flying around. A lot of good things going on down there. Great talent of course.”

One of the biggest questions is where Dumervil would play if he were to end up at Miami.

“I am not 100% sure what they want me to do when I get there but I am ready for the task at hand.”

Along with two trips to Miami, Dumervil has also visited Louisville and Georgia.

Mark Richt is not involved in everybody’s recruitment, but he has made sure to talk to Dumervil a few times.

“Ya I’ve met him a couple times at campus. He is a pretty cool guy. Laid back. He’s a great coach. He has a lot of great people. He’s a pretty good guy.”

What does Dumervil think of Coach Searels?

“He is one of those guys that comes in day in and day out and gets things done.”

Dumervil was impressed by what he saw from the offensive line the day he watched practice.

“They were really focused. Nobody messing around. Nobody joking. They were straight business.”

Dumervil grew up in South Florida so the idea of putting on for your city means a little bit more to him.

“Ya I am a hometown kid so I want to make sure I rep where I come from in a positive way.”

Dumervil also had a final message for Canes fans.

“Make the crib great again.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know it's a very common surname here but any relation to Elvis? I think he has a son or nephew at Louisville now.

Advertisement
I hope that kids don't start using the "make the crib great again" tag line to make the bags heavier for them. Not saying this is going to be the case with this one, just saying in general.

Advertisement
Dumervil is at St. Thomas Aquinas and is one of the few players who has been there since his freshman year.

Don't you clowns ever get tired of this, @Matthew_Suero?

Every single article written about an STA kid has this same (or similar) line. At no time is it ever in context. This is the third different "writer" on this site that has written this. There seems to be a clear agenda at work here.

The worst part isn't even the sickening bias. It's the fact that it's not true.

The idea that somebody, especially a writer here, could say something as stupid as only a few players at STA have been there since freshmen year is mind-boggling.

And this is a program that sends a bunch of kids to Miami, has had a great relationship with every coaching staff at the school and turns out quality kids year-after-year.

I'd say do better but I'm not sure that you're capable of it.

Every single article written about an STA kid has this same (or similar) line. At no time is it ever in context. This is the third different "writer" on this site that has written this. There seems to be a clear agenda at work here.

The idea that somebody, especially a writer here, could say something as stupid as only a few players at STA have been there since freshmen year is mind-boggling.

And this is a program that sends a bunch of kids to Miami, has had a great relationship with every coaching staff at the school and turns out quality kids year-after-year.

I do not even know what you are saying. It is a fact that a large majority of players who are actually D1 bound at St. Thomas transferred in.

First post absolutely obliterates one of the writers here. I like it. Welcome to the board sir.

I do not even know what you are saying. It is a fact that a large majority of players who are actually D1 bound at St. Thomas transferred in.

You said that Dumervil is one of the few players at STA that has been there since freshmen year.

It's not true.

You're either ignorant or lying.

Now you're changing your tune to "large majority" which isn't true either.

Advertisement
You said that Dumervil is one of the few players at STA that has been there since freshmen year.

It's not true.

You're either ignorant or lying.

Now you're changing your tune to "large majority" which isn't true either.
I am not talking about the entire team, I am talking about the guys who actually go to division 1 schools. St. Thomas transfers kids in. They always have. They always will.

First post absolutely obliterates one of the writers here. I like it. Welcome to the board sir.

So ungrateful these guys.

STA sends a bunch of qualified (and quality) kids to Miami and yet nearly every article written here includes this petty dig.

The worst part is the ignorance of it. The claim isn't true and the writer is so consumed with the conventional wisdom that he doesn't even research it. He just copies and pastes it into almost every article.

I am not talking about the entire team, I am talking about the guys who actually go to division 1 schools. St. Thomas transfers kids in. They always have. They always will.

Neither claim would be true.

But this is what you actually said:

Dumervil is at St. Thomas Aquinas and is one of the few players who has been there since his freshman year.

Feel free to point out to the board where you said "guys who actually go to division 1 schools."

You didn't.

You said players.

Advertisement
So ungrateful these guys.

STA sends a bunch of qualified (and quality) kids to Miami and yet nearly every article written here includes this petty dig.

The worst part is the ignorance of it. The claim isn't true and the writer is so consumed with the conventional wisdom that he doesn't even research it. He just copies and pastes it into almost every article.
Name one Aquinas player currently on Miami who did not transfer to St. Thomas. I'll wait. Also, I am not ungrateful for a team sending players to Miami. I am just saying they transfer kids in. That is a fact.

Name one Aquinas player currently on Miami who did not transfer to St. Thomas. I'll wait.

Now you continue with the agenda.

Knowing full well that currently only the son of an STA legend (Irvin) and a kid who moved to Florida after his Freshman year (Harley) are on the roster.

This, of course, writes off guys who were here last year (Moten, Linder) and are coming next year (Solomon) who were 4-year kids.

If you want to do this accounting I'm here for you. I can slap you around from pillar to post with the facts about STA's D1 kids.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back