Manny's Recruiting Venting and Appreciation Thread

Too many failures to remember. @Allabouttheu95 nailed many of them. Regarding recruiting, I think Manny was personally responsible for COVID. That's the one class that he did okay with. And even there he couldn't find a LB even when his reputation depended upon it. Guy was nothing but promotional vaporware. At least he brought us Rhett.

Advertisement
Setting the table for Mario’s return. I’m forever grateful that he recruited well two straight years overall but did nothing well enough to get an extension. Blake and Manny both got bounced and there was enough meat still on the bone to make us “attractive enough” for Mario. Could have been a LOT worse. Some might even say this entire scenario was predictable and planned for by some people for the better part of three years. @DMoney
Fwiw David and a select few assistants don’t get enough credit.

Last edited:
Bring your daddy to work day two separate times while on the heat seat is the icing on the cake for me. I don’t think it’s ever been done before in the history of football 🤣 especially when you consider the fact that his father is ex mayor of Miami 😂
Haha yea that's tough. I saw someone mention the Michigan State game. The Gurvan Hall missed tackle where he hit the blocker instead of the ball carrier by itself was cause.

I know some people hate these joints but I gotta laugh at the misery and be glad it's over. Too many moments that in retrospect were wild and we had to either sulk in pain or try to justify it. Touchdown rings man 😔

Advertisement
Setting the table for Mario’s return. I’m forever grateful that he recruited well two straight years overall but did nothing well enough to get an extension. Blake and Manny both got bounced and there was enough meat still on the bone to make us “attractive enough” for Mario. Could have been a LOT worse. Some might even say this entire scenario was predictable and planned for by some people for the better part of three years. @DMoney
People will disagree, but Richt and Manny left the program in a drastically better spot than it was under Golden. I’m not just talking Ws and Ls, but resources, recruiting department, and facilities. They set a “foundation” more so Richt that Mario is going to build up.

People underestimated how important Richt was to this program and all the improvements he made.

Last edited:
After being reminded yesterday how Manny dropped the ball recruiting Ray Ray (I had repressed the memory), I figured we should have a single thread to appreciate how horrific he was as a recruiter and vent about his inept recruiting rather than replicating this everywhere. Each of these were fireable offenses IMHO and reveals how much damage Mario had to repair in order to even be considered again.

1. Forgot to invite 4* Nathaniel "Ray Ray" Joseph to the BBQ
  2. Didn't contact 5* David Hicks for months after he visited during Paradise
  3. Offered 4* Jordan “Big Baby” Hall and then never contacted him again.

If you've got other examples, let me know and I'll update the OP.

Didn’t Shemar say he was never allowed in his office lol

People will disagree, but Richt and Manny left the program in a drastically better spot than it was under Golden. I’m not just talking Ws and Ls, but resources, recruiting department, and facilities. They set a “foundation” more so Richt that Mario is going to build up.

People underestimated how important Richt was to this program and all the improvements he made.

Golden recruited most of the players that Richt used to win the acc coastal. That 10 win season was the only glimmer of hope Canes fans had over the last 15 years. Richt and Diaz were generally terrible at player evals and development. I think all of the trio (Golden, Richt, and Diaz) share about equal responsibility for the success and failure (in different ways). I'm hard pressed to think of anything Diaz did well as a HC except have signature losses that led national media personalities to put UM on blast, which set the stage for Ruiz and Cristobal. I guess hiring the guy who recruited TVD is a positive.

Advertisement
After being reminded yesterday how Manny dropped the ball recruiting Ray Ray (I had repressed the memory), I figured we should have a single thread to appreciate how horrific he was as a recruiter and vent about his inept recruiting rather than replicating this everywhere. Each of these were fireable offenses IMHO and reveals how much damage Mario had to repair in order to even be considered again.

1. Forgot to invite 4* Nathaniel "Ray Ray" Joseph to the BBQ
  2. Didn't contact 5* David Hicks for months after he visited during Paradise
  3. Offered 4* Jordan “Big Baby” Hall and then never contacted him again.

If you've got other examples, let me know and I'll update the OP.
I’m my opinion the worst recruiting blunder ever
Was under richt
When he would show recruits the athletic bowl trophy
That screams beta and second rate
I wouldn’t even display a trophy like that

Advertisement
This is a tempting offer...
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

The 2020 class was okay by ACC Coastal standard, but not a nationally good class. Only TVD makes the class, and no one expected him to be as good as he is other than Lashlee. Manny gets no credit there or for any of the offensive guys, for that matter, other than hiring the right OC.

Here are the 2020 defensive commits:
Avantae Williams Elite
Chantz Williams Miami Kid
Jalen Harrell Plan B
Isaiah Dunson Plan B
Elijah Roberts Miami Kid
Keshawn Washington G5
Tirek Austin-Cave Miami Kid/Transferred
Quentin Williams G5/Transferred
Marcus Clarke Plan B
Brian Balom Plan B
Corey Flagg G5

Yeah... No

Advertisement
The 2020 class was okay by ACC Coastal standard, but not a nationally good class. Only TVD makes the class, and no one expected him to be as good as he is other than Lashlee. Manny gets no credit there or for any of the offensive guys, for that matter, other than hiring the right OC.

Avantae Williams Elite
Jalen Harrell Plan B
Isaiah Dunson Plan B
Elijah Roberts Miami Kid
Keshawn Washington G5
Marcus Clarke Plan B
Brian Balom Plan B
Corey Flagg G5

Yeah... No
I think you’re selling short Tae, Chantz, Isaiah, Elijah and Balom. There’s talent on this team. There’s also TVD, Don, Rooster, X and Redding. I’m forgetting some, but no one said Manny killed it, but a projected first round quarterback, five star running back and the other three I listed are no joke. Manny gets all the credit and all the blame. That’s the way life works. Fact

Avantae Williams Elite
Jalen Harrell Plan B
Isaiah Dunson Plan B
Elijah Roberts Miami Kid
Keshawn Washington G5
Marcus Clarke Plan B
Brian Balom Plan B
Corey Flagg G5