Manny will call Plays in 2021, Jess Back as DL Coach

Advertisement
Three take aways from this:

1) TRob and Simpson are great hires for this team.

2) Baker and Patke are dead weight. They couldnā€™t get a job anywhere else in P5, probably not even a good G5 school. Rumph is in the same boat.

3) I like DVD, he can recruit, but he needed to get experience elsewhere. No doubt TRob is going to be running the show there, but Miami is the literal destination for coaches that couldnā€™t get a job anywhere else in P5.

Overall, we brought in two good coaches and Manny is a way better play-caller than Blake. Nevertheless, he needs to be a CEO, not an HC focused on one side of the ball. Sure Lashlee has the Offense no problems, but can someone point out a current uber successful HC thatā€™s calling an offense or defense?

Sounds like Manny told Rumph to stay work on his weaknesses (recruiting) and maybe in the future he gets back to coaching if he improves that part.

Recruiting isn't something that you necessarily improve on. You either have the personality for it, or you don't (there's the bag equation as well). Rumph had 6 years and never showed any improvement in that area.

Advertisement

Simpson, who held the same title at Miami during the 2018 season, returns to Coral Gables after spending the past two seasons as defensive line coach for the Atlanta Falcons. Van Dyke, a former UM cornerback who spent six seasons in the NFL, shifts to cornerbacks coach after serving the past two seasons as UMā€™s assistant director of recruiting.

Simpson and Van Dyke join Blake Baker (defensive coordinator/inside linebackers), Jonathan Patke (special teams coordinator/outside linebackers) and Travaris Robinson (defensive backs) on the defensive coaching staff. Diaz also announced he will be calling the defensive plays on gameday moving forward.

I will be a contrarian here and say I donā€™t mind it. I personally loved watching Mannyā€™s defense when he called the plays. Improved the play caller and the defensive line and secondary coaching. I hate that Baker is retained, and not a fan of Patke at all, but Iā€™m not going call the entire reorganization a fail because of it. Manny just put his future in his own hands, which isnā€™t necessarily a bad thing.
This sums up my feelings quite well. We upgraded at DL, S and CB. We remain the same (horrendous play) at LB. We upgraded play calling.

Will it work? No clue but I'm looking forward to next season knowing that it's a win-win no matter what happens.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is going to "work" next year. Manny isn't goung to have a bad enough season to get fired, but we will HATE the way we lose some of these games.

We will go 10-2 or 9-3 with losses to Bama, UNC, and maybe Michigan State or VTech . Dont underestimate Mel Tucker.

The only scenario Manny gets fired are King isnt ready and the freshmen qbs **** the bed. Nkosi would give us a 10 win season, but he gone.

This shows me that Mannys ego is too big to bringing in an established DC to run the show. With that being said respect to him for putting it on him. He will either succeed or be fired. He bet on himself. Which is what most of us would do.
The only move I canā€™t find any reasoning besides political is Rumph to recruit. Good luck Manny we will all be at the gates with Pitch forks waiting to see how you do.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back