Manny Will be Okay

I think I'll see how this season goes before making any judgment. Crowning him based on another coach's performance is just as bad as deciding we'll suck based on last year.

No, the latter is far, far more ridiculous of an assumption to make. At least the former is based in SOMETHING germane to his performance this year.

Advertisement
But the OP wasn't crowning him. His point was that just because Diaz had a bad first year at 6-7 doesn't mean that he can't rebound and have a good career. He cited the Saban example simply to establish precedent. All he is saying is that it is within the realm of possibility that Diaz can turn it around.

The Saban example establishes no precedent whatsoever, and is entirely irrelevant to Diaz's success. It's a cherry-picked stat with absolutely no correlation to, or causation for, Diaz to win at Miami. You might as well say "Lebron James wore a green shirt on a Tuesday so Diaz will win a Natty this year." There's no difference in the statements from a factual or logical standpoint.

I get what the original poster is saying. Most HCs - particularly first time HCs - have mediocre first seasons. The good to great ones have massive improvement from year 1 to year 2 (Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Nick Saban). Manny followed the pattern in year 1. That doesn’t mean he’s good to great. Only that it does not disqualify him from being good to great.

Larry Coker won his first 25 games as an HC.

I am reading and I am not seeing him say Manny is Saban. Where are you guys reading that?

I see that he is making a point that Coaches can recover from poor first seasons.

They can. They can also continue to fail.

Where is the data on all the coaches who went .500 in year one and never won more than 10 games?

He is on the hot set for sure. If this game against UAB is close, then he is in big trouble

If the game against UAB is close, a second-year head coach in his first game coming out with a win is "in big trouble?"

How much glue do you eat in a given day?

Advertisement
Some here appear to have given up on Manny merely because of his rookie season record. However, he is not the first. There have been rookie coaches like Manny who turned it around. Who is to say that he won’t turn it around? He has made changes offensively that I believe is worth 2 more wins this season. I also believe that should the defense stutter again like last, many will make changes.

If the game against UAB is close, a second-year head coach in his first game coming out with a win is "in big trouble?"

How much glue do you eat in a given day?
You are crazy if you think he is off the hot seat. He got smoked by FIU and LA Tech. I we loss to UAB, eveyone on this site will want him fired. And if it is close, everyone will be ****ed off

Advertisement
Any coach would really have to sht the bed to get fired this year. Covid gives cover to everyone.

Let’s see if he can field a focused and discipline team. One that does not play down to their competition and lack fire against inferior opponents. Let’s see how his teams react to adversity and come off bye weeks. Also I want to see if his teams are all flash and no substance. I will give him credit he is a good recruiter and also he has shown that he will make some changes that are needed and wants to win. I really want this dude to successful, but i am very skeptical. Go Canes!!!!

But the OP wasn't crowning him. His point was that just because Diaz had a bad first year at 6-7 doesn't mean that he can't rebound and have a good career. He cited the Saban example simply to establish precedent. All he is saying is that it is within the realm of possibility that Diaz can turn it around.

agreed.

they wanted to run jimmy johnson out of town his first year here, after those miserable three losses to end his debut season.

same thing with schnelly, who in his first year presided over a 5-6 season that included maybe the worst loss in modern UM history, to FAMU in Tallahassee ... and yes, that includes FIU last year)

given how he has handled the off-season and made changes he need to make, i'm not ready to write manny off just as yet. my advice: he needs to be tougher and meaner. the kids like him a ton, but they aren't afraid of him enough yet. he should work on that.

A better way to compare is first looking a what talent the coach inherited, looking at teams played against with equal or better talent..... other things besides just w/l numbers. Safe to say that Michigan had better talent than Michigan St in sabans first year yet Sabin was able to coach Mich st over a win vs rival Michigan. I'd venture to say Diaz inherited better talent but performed worse than Sabin did when comparing mich St year 1 saban vs Diaz year 1 Miami. You need to look beyond the records. Diaz had zero notable wins. Also, its possible to have a good game coaching and still lose. Diaz didn't do that either. In fact, Diaz was out coached badley on several occasions.

People talk about jimmy Johnson and wanting to run him out of town. Those people were dumb as ****. Johnson couldn't run his defense which was that teams main issue his first year. He was forced to keep the defensive staff together and you saw the results. None of his losses were as bad as the performance ve central mich, fiu loss etc. that Diaz had. Johnson ended surrounded himself with NFL caliber coaches. Time will tell what Diaz has surrounded himself with but i'll tell you baker isn't an NFL. Diaz isn't either. Patke isn't. Banda either. Same for rumph. I'll wait on thede offensive people but I'm not holding my breathe. There's at least is some potential tho. We'll see what LaSalle is about. Can he call plays based on situations? Coach his qb up enough to audible out of bad situations or just call T.O.? can he exploit and create mismatches? How's his film preparation? Can they make blocking changes, route adjustments etc.? Can he formation a mismatch. Time will tell.

Advertisement
The Saban example establishes no precedent whatsoever, and is entirely irrelevant to Diaz's success. It's a cherry-picked stat with absolutely no correlation to, or causation for, Diaz to win at Miami. You might as well say "Lebron James wore a green shirt on a Tuesday so Diaz will win a Natty this year." There's no difference in the statements from a factual or logical standpoint.
Ok thanks for the information.

Any coach would really have to sht the bed to get fired this year. Covid gives cover to everyone.
Yep. With all the money everyone is losing this year, coaches will get a free pass. It won't be because people feel sorry for them because of COVID; it'll be because no one wants to add a big buyout to the losses their athletic departments are already absorbing.

Yep. With all the money everyone is losing this year, coaches will get a free pass. It won't be because people feel sorry for them because of COVID; it'll be because no one wants to add a big buyout to the losses their athletic departments are already absorbing.
Along with a ****ed off coach complaining about not being given a fair shot because nobody else is hiring.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back