Manny Will be Okay

"X had this record as a first year coach, Y had the same record. Therefore, X = Y.

No....no its not.
I get what the original poster is saying. Most HCs - particularly first time HCs - have mediocre first seasons. The good to great ones have massive improvement from year 1 to year 2 (Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Nick Saban). Manny followed the pattern in year 1. That doesn’t mean he’s good to great. Only that it does not disqualify him from being good to great.

Advertisement
I get what the original poster is saying. Most HCs - particularly first time HCs - have mediocre first seasons. The good to great ones have massive improvement from year 1 to year 2 (Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Nick Saban). Manny followed the pattern in year 1. That doesn’t mean he’s good to great. Only that it does not disqualify him from being good to great.
You're being too reasonable. That stuff doesn't work on here.

Advertisement
I understand the the point OP is trying to make but stop. Just stop.
d1cc9a9eab395afdcf9da21231341763.jpg

This is Saban’’s record as first year coach:

1990 Toledo - 9-2
1995 Michigan State - 6-5
2000 LSU - 8-4
Alabama 2007 - 7-6

The point here is that Saban as an experienced coach at MSU and Alabaga had a similar record to Manny a rookie head coach last year. My point is that there is a chance that Manny will be okay beginning from this season.
Better to say that plenty of second year head coaches get really good results compared to their first year. Plenty of examples of that.
But comparing manny to saban makes people not even read anything you wrote and your opening up yourself to criticism and even ridicule. It’s like comparing a second year qb to Brady.

Advertisement
Pete, Bob, and Nick and Urban followed some better than average recruiters at the schools they took over. And none of them won with out a QB. These "Great" coaches were not rebuilding TCU or Utah.

I am reading and I am not seeing him say Manny is Saban. Where are you guys reading that?

I see that he is making a point that Coaches can recover from poor first seasons.
Cherry picking the stat of one coach to make sure we grasp the obvious to make that point is being called out for what it is.

Advertisement
This is Saban’’s record as first year coach:

1990 Toledo - 9-2
1995 Michigan State - 6-5
2000 LSU - 8-4
Alabama 2007 - 7-6

The point here is that Saban as an experienced coach at MSU and Alabaga had a similar record to Manny a rookie head coach last year. My point is that there is a chance that Manny will be okay beginning from this season.
GenuineGentleGrayling-size_restricted.gif

But the OP wasn't crowning him. His point was that just because Diaz had a bad first year at 6-7 doesn't mean that he can't rebound and have a good career. He cited the Saban example simply to establish precedent. All he is saying is that it is within the realm of possibility that Diaz can turn it around.
Using stats to do that, come on. “....about one in a million”, “so your saying there’s a chance?”.

Cherry picking the stat of one coach to make sure we grasp the obvious to make that point is being called out for what it is.
Willie Taggart took over a 5-7 team and went 5-7 his first year. How'd that end?

*disclaimer -This won't end the same way.

Advertisement
A lot of bad takes in here, so this thread will automatically qualify for the coveted worst thread of the year, congrats op.

Advertisement
Back