Manny was calling plays vs nc and oklahoma state

It's one thing to get fired as a head coach, and take a step back and still be a good coordinator.

Someone help me and it's possible I'm forgetting an example, but when is the last time someone got fired as a COLLEGE COORDINATOR and went on to be a good HEAD COACH?
Sark.

Advertisement
It's one thing to get fired as a head coach, and take a step back and still be a good coordinator.

Someone help me and it's possible I'm forgetting an example, but when is the last time someone got fired as a COLLEGE COORDINATOR and went on to be a good HEAD COACH?
Not complete apples to apples, but the closest analogy I can think of is Lane Kiffin.

Manny is probably the best CEO that we have had since Butch Davis. If you compare him to Coker (couldn’t recruit), Shannon, Golden, or Richt, CMD is the better recruiter and is at least flexible when it comes to adjusting to what works.

Advertisement
Not complete apples to apples, but the closest analogy I can think of is Lane Kiffin.

Manny is probably the best CEO that we have had since Butch Davis. If you compare him to Coker (couldn’t recruit), Shannon, Golden, or Richt, CMD is the better recruiter and is at least flexible when it comes to adjusting to what works.

I'm going to disagree with your reponse on two levels.

1) I'm not sure I consider Kiffin a "good coach". To be a good coach you have to do something on a bigger stage (playoffs, major conference champ, etc).

2) We talking about the same Manny? He's proven absolutely NOTHING as a coach, coordinator, OR a CEO. Next time you are bored take another look at the depth chart, JUST ON DEFENSE WHICH IS HIS SIDE OF THE BALL, and look how atrocious our depth charts are at CB, linebacker, and to some extent safety. Then back out the portal guys who are just suppose to be one year supplemental stop gaps and realize JUST HOW BAD a recruiter and developer Manny is. Between his time here as BOTH head coach AND DC he's been here long enough that he's responsible for EVERY SINGLE LAST PLAYER ON THAT DEFENSE.

He's the king of offseason hype, nothing more. He was underqualified for this job from day 1, and hired by THE most underqualified un-athletic director in the country (who is actually the bigger problem here).

1) I'm not sure I consider Kiffin a "good coach". To be a good coach you have to do something on a bigger stage (playoffs, major conference champ, etc).

2) We talking about the same Manny? He's proven absolutely NOTHING as a coach, coordinator, OR a CEO. Next time you are bored take another look at the depth chart, JUST ON DEFENSE WHICH IS HIS SIDE OF THE BALL, and look how atrocious our depth charts are at CB, linebacker, and to some extent safety. Then back out the portal guys who are just suppose to be one year supplemental stop gaps and realize JUST HOW BAD a recruiter and developer Manny is. Between his time here as BOTH head coach AND DC he's been here long enough that he's responsible for EVERY SINGLE LAST PLAYER ON THAT DEFENSE.

He's the king of offseason hype, nothing more. He was underqualified for this job from day 1, and hired by THE most underqualified un-athletic director in the country (who is actually the bigger problem here).

the bigger problem is the BOT.

He used to work for Mack Brown. Then Mack Brown fired him.

Now Mack Brown is abusing him using the exact same football concepts BYU used when they destroyed Diaz' defense at Texas and rushed for 600+ yards.... the game that got Manny fired from the Longhorns.

Mack Brown has Manny completely figured out. He knows how to tear that scheme apart in his sleep.

I tell you this - Manny Diaz will NEVER beat North Carolina as long as Mack Brown is on the other sideline and we're running Manny's defense. Not gonna happen.

When Miami hired Manny Diaz, people in Texas laughed. They know exactly what he is. Now we know as well. Too bad our BOT and Blake James haven't figured it out.
Mack Browneye is a sh&tty game day coach. He’s an amazing recruiter and hires and fires staff like a good CEO should do. But he’s had the same issues as anyone else, his teams get high on the hog and quit too. He’s not a great coach, Manure just happens to be a lot worse.

Advertisement
the bigger problem is the BOT.

BOT is never going to change, there is absolutely nothing we can do about that situation. You're going to be dead and buried and that board will still mostly be made up of people who don't even know what a football looks like.

The answer is at the AD level. Our hope has to be that the BOT eventually hires an AD who is actually qualified, so that this mythical person can actually make, you know, qualified head coaching hires.

BOT is never going to change, there is absolutely nothing we can do about that situation. You're going to be dead and buried and that board will still mostly be made up of people who don't even know what a football looks like.

The answer is at the AD level. Our hope has to be that the BOT eventually hires an AD who is actually qualified, so that this mythical person can actually make, you know, qualified head coaching hires.

the issue is who puts Blake in charge? who allows not just Blake but previous ADs who have had same failures here? theres one common link to all this -- it isnt the numerous ADs that have been here bc that simple. its the people above them that don't see anything is wrong at the AD level. Blake didn't hire himself right? well never get lucky again and win if things don't change at a higher level (and they won't). either way, its more about alumni and fan support for me now (not about titles). I cant be mad at a ticket salesman when he shouldn't have the job in the first place

the issue is who puts Blake in charge? who allows not just Blake but previous ADs who have had same failures here? theres one common link to all this -- it isnt the numerous ADs that have been here bc that simple. its the people above them that don't see anything is wrong at the AD level. Blake didn't hire himself right?

Understood, but there is nothing you or I, nor any of the fans, can do about who is on the BOT. You're talking about stations that are so embedded in the school as a whole that football is just a small part of what they do. They deal with things like the administration of the endowment.

Our hope has to be they get lucky and make a good AD hire whenever they finally decide that Blake James is incompetent. Then, in theory, that solid AD would have the same control Blake did but would actually make good choices.

Blake wanted Manny here. There were some on the board that didn't want him but Blake still got his way, that is why the hope has to be that we eventually have someone qualified in that role because for all their faults, the BOT does tend to let the AD do his job. It's just that in this case it's being done by an incompetent, underqualified bafoon.

Last edited:
Understood, but there is nothing you or I, nor any of the fans, can do about who is on the BOT. You're talking about stations that are so embedded in the school as a whole and deal with things like the endowment on a much larger scale.

Our hope has to be they get lucky and make a good AD hire whenever they finally decide that Blake James is incompetent. Then, in theory, that solid AD would have the same control Blake did but would actually make good choices.

Blake wanted Manny here. There were some on the board that didn't want him but Blake still got his way, that is why the hope has to be that we eventually have someone qualified in that role because for all their faults, the BOT does tend to let the AD do his job. It's just that in this case it's being done by an incompetent, underqualified bafoon.

well im not holding my breath considering the ADs they've hired since Dee. hocutt eichorst Blake all the same nonsense

Advertisement
Talent and reliance on upperclassmen was an issue in 2020. Against UNC we were still reliant on Ford, Jennings, McCloud, Ivey, Carter, Hall.

James WIlliams, Leonard Taylor, Avantae Williams, Tyriq Stevenson (hopefully) and others are to the rescue.

Your last line can easily be true. And linebacker and particular CB recruiting are off.

Overall talent level on paper is the highest that it has been since 2009. We're now at about a 50% blue chip ratio. Al Golden had us at about 25%.

At an overall level, Manny should be judged on the 2020 and 2021 classes. And they have been good.

Transfer portal was used judiciously. After ESD, Manny could have easily filled out the last five or seven slots on the 2019 recruiting class with 2 and 3 star projects. Taking fliers is what Randy Shannon did in 2010, and what Al Golden did in 2011. Instead, he went with portal players. Some were high risk/high reward athletes. And he was smart in utilizing it - getting players that had multiple years of eligibility left with the 2019 portal signings. In 2020, Roche, King, and Williams were supposed to be one year players but again it is about building momentum and stacking great recruiting classes one on top of the other. Manny inherited a bad QB situation and an even worse OL - I'm all far using the portal to shore that up. Some of the takes worked, some didn't. But the ones that worked, they provided immediate benefit. I'd rather plug Williams in for a year versus starting a true freshman at OL like Zion.

Overall, I'm not saying he's a great coach. You can't make that assertion now. But he's clearly better for the program than Coker, Shannon, Golden, or Richt were.

God dammit.... preach brother!

Advertisement
Your last line can easily be true. And linebacker and particular CB recruiting are off.

Overall talent level on paper is the highest that it has been since 2009. We're now at about a 50% blue chip ratio. Al Golden had us at about 25%.

At an overall level, Manny should be judged on the 2020 and 2021 classes. And they have been good.

Transfer portal was used judiciously. After ESD, Manny could have easily filled out the last five or seven slots on the 2019 recruiting class with 2 and 3 star projects. Taking fliers is what Randy Shannon did in 2010, and what Al Golden did in 2011. Instead, he went with portal players. Some were high risk/high reward athletes. And he was smart in utilizing it - getting players that had multiple years of eligibility left with the 2019 portal signings. In 2020, Roche, King, and Williams were supposed to be one year players but again it is about building momentum and stacking great recruiting classes one on top of the other. Manny inherited a bad QB situation and an even worse OL - I'm all far using the portal to shore that up. Some of the takes worked, some didn't. But the ones that worked, they provided immediate benefit. I'd rather plug Williams in for a year versus starting a true freshman at OL like Zion.

Overall, I'm not saying he's a great coach. You can't make that assertion now. But he's clearly better for the program than Coker, Shannon, Golden, or Richt were.
Well I disagree . I think all 6 are equally pathetic and were all bad hires at the time they were initially hired . To make it worse , I don’t Manny is a very good coordinator either

He used to work for Mack Brown. Then Mack Brown fired him.

Now Mack Brown is abusing him using the exact same football concepts BYU used when they destroyed Diaz' defense at Texas and rushed for 600+ yards.... the game that got Manny fired from the Longhorns.

Mack Brown has Manny completely figured out. He knows how to tear that scheme apart in his sleep.

I tell you this - Manny Diaz will NEVER beat North Carolina as long as Mack Brown is on the other sideline and we're running Manny's defense. Not gonna happen.

When Miami hired Manny Diaz, people in Texas laughed. They know exactly what he is. Now we know as well. Too bad our BOT and Blake James haven't figured it out.
Those are not the same concepts.
BYU had Taysom Hill and they ran a lot of an power counters and read etc.
Same blocking schemes different concept.

When is the last time a doofus OPENLY ROOTED for his team to lose then showed his face again afterwards?

Advertisement
Back