Manny was calling plays vs nc and oklahoma state

Advertisement
So he allowed to most rushing yards in Miami and Texas.... wow ... two schools with great history.

we hired a man in less than 24 hours with no HC experience, who got fired in less than 24 hours for allowing the most rushing yards in Texas.
Technically he had about 2 weeks experience, how could Blake Lames pass that up for the low price of $4 mil?

The issue is, even if you DO think Manny is a good DC and his better defensive seasons were not aberrations, the question is - could he have made the defensive improvements that he did (as a DC for Richt) on a part time basis? Did his job not require his full attention? Isn't he the analysis wonk (supposedly)? Well, doesn't that take time? Full-time time?

We've been a fundamentally unsound defensive football team for the 2 years that Baker has had the reins, with this year being worse than the last. Diaz won't have time for fundamentals training if he's allowing his BFF to prepare the boys.

The truth is - Miami has enough athleticism and speed to out athlete most other teams and even do so with very primal defensive schemes if the boys are fundamentally sound and disciplined. Many think Manny's scheme is the problem. It wasn't the problem when we had a top 10 D in most categories. Shannon's scheme was not great, but we out althleted teams and he had them playing sound fundamentally.

The issue is that play calling, although important, is not as important as what happens on Greentree field Monday - Friday. When you watch the BAMA's, CLEMSON's and OSU*'s of the world, among other things, their players are fundamentally sound on defense. They tackle well, they hold their ground, they stay with their assignment, etc. The instilling of these fundamentals doesn't happen on Saturdays. Those things happen the other 6 days of the week.

This past season, especially against any team with a pulse (not just Clemson, UNC and OSU), we looked unprepared, confused (those two are connected) and fundamentally unsound. That's a fact. Those things are not the result of play calling during a game, although Baker sucks at that as well. Those things are the responsibility of the coaches who have them when there isn't a game.

This is why I don't like the idea of Manny playcalling, as if this fixes the core problems (not to speak of the optics with Baker staying) of the defense. Simpson and T-Rob will do their best to mask the weaknesses of the scheme and LB's, but the same mental patient who "trained" the linebackers who gave up 550 yards rushing in one game, is the same guy who will be "training" them this year.

Insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result. This is insane. I'm not a "mope", hater or negative person and believe me, I don't want this to be the case, but this is what is before us. The rosiest outcome within the realm of possibility, is that Manny sees this and goes far FAR beyond just playcalling. Of course, the question that keeps coming up is, "Well, if Manny is running the D, what exactly is Baker getting paid $600K for?" Great question. Answer: insanity.

Advertisement
I think Simpson helps out a ton and what happened vs UNC with our D ends would not have happened under Simpson. Roche and Phillips played the most undisciplined I have ever seen in my life and they abused their over aggression all game with zero adjustment by them or coaching.

He only called plays when we stopped the opponent. Then, he'd hand the play calling back to Baker because it was too easy for Manure, and he didn't want to shut everyone out. I'm sure Manure had no input in the UNC game.
gotta agree w/ the ol' chise here... people were swearing up and down that manny took over the play calling at the end of the NC state and VT games at the precise moments that the defense began playing well. and now this rando OP wants us to believe that manny called plays for the entirety of the final 2 games when the defense was at its worst. fact of the matter is no one has any idea if or when manny called plays on defense last year and the narrative changes depending on who is posting and what the narrative is that they want to construct

I think Simpson helps out a ton and what happened vs UNC with our D ends would not have happened under Simpson. Roche and Phillips played the most undisciplined I have ever seen in my life and they abused their over aggression all game with zero adjustment by them or coaching.
This is what I was talking about when I kept clamoring for Jess to come back. He gets the whole picture and is able get the DL to play well across the board and to benefit the defense and not necessarily their individual stats.

Under Kul, we seemed to have a little more effectiveness in pass rush, but we gave up too much against the run. Our DL will probably not have eye-popping numbers as individual players, but the entire D will benefit. If anything, Jess features the DT's and that's just fine by me.

The Baker news was very deflating, but Jess will be worth his weight in gold this coming year, and might do enough to cover for part time DC-Manny in order to rack up 9-10 wins.

Advertisement
He only called plays when we stopped the opponent. Then, he'd hand the play calling back to Baker because it was too easy for Manure, and he didn't want to shut everyone out. I'm sure Manure had no input in the UNC game.
Facts they don't realize this.....they are not logical fans man. He better hope Taylor plays like a first rounder day one that's his only hope.

He used to work for Mack Brown. Then Mack Brown fired him.

Now Mack Brown is abusing him using the exact same football concepts BYU used when they destroyed Diaz' defense at Texas and rushed for 600+ yards.... the game that got Manny fired from the Longhorns.

Mack Brown has Manny completely figured out. He knows how to tear that scheme apart in his sleep.

I tell you this - Manny Diaz will NEVER beat North Carolina as long as Mack Brown is on the other sideline and we're running Manny's defense. Not gonna happen.

When Miami hired Manny Diaz, people in Texas laughed. They know exactly what he is. Now we know as well. Too bad our BOT and Blake James haven't figured it out.

UNC ran for less than 100 yards against us in Manny/Mack's first year. Did he not know what BYU did then?

The only I can do right now is pray and hopefully Richt calls him and tells Manny, you’re embarrassing yourself bud. Just resign.

Advertisement
All I know is if you'd ask me 4 years ago if I'd be ok with Lashlee as OC and Manolo as DC I'd have been A-Ok with it. Not sure what the problem is now, but let's roll! GO CANES!!!

He used to work for Mack Brown. Then Mack Brown fired him.

Now Mack Brown is abusing him using the exact same football concepts BYU used when they destroyed Diaz' defense at Texas and rushed for 600+ yards.... the game that got Manny fired from the Longhorns.

Mack Brown has Manny completely figured out. He knows how to tear that scheme apart in his sleep.

I tell you this - Manny Diaz will NEVER beat North Carolina as long as Mack Brown is on the other sideline and we're running Manny's defense. Not gonna happen.

When Miami hired Manny Diaz, people in Texas laughed. They know exactly what he is. Now we know as well. Too bad our BOT and Blake James haven't figured it out.
****, half of us laughed (to keep ourselves from crying). Someone should bump the thread from when he was first hired. Like the first three pages are of ppl saying what a terrible hire it was.

Advertisement
The team that didn't have Dan Enos as OC and also miss a FG with one of the worst Kickers in FBS. Correct me if I'm wrong though...but I was responding to Mack Brown "having Diaz figured out" and can do what he want. What stopped Mack Brown in 2019? From having the same RB's run for 100 yards?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back