Manny needs more experince around him--Miami Herald today

University of Coral Gables Football Program is a house on fire.

With no firefighters on scene.
Yep, the fire fighters are all in Australia. But you only call the fire fighters if it’s worth saving. The Hecht is not worth saving, this is one of those healthy burns that helps the forest get healthier In the long run without manure and flake.

Advertisement
It’s a long drawn out “W” for us either way. They’re all in. So, either they fix it or they’re gone. At least that’s what I’m telling myself.

Yep, the fire fighters are all in Australia. But you only call the fire fighters if it’s worth saving. The Hecht is not worth saving, this is one of those healthy burns that helps the forest get healthier In the long run without manure and flake.

P7JmDW7IkB7TW.gif

"One bit of advice offered by a person inside the UM program: Manny Diaz needs to hire more voices around him who are older than him, preferably with more head coaching experience. That hasn’t happened this offseason, though we very much like the hiring of younger assistants Rhett Lashlee as offensive coordinator and Garin Justise as offensive line coach."

"The only former head coach on Diaz’s 2019 staff was offensive coordinator Dan Enos, and he’s gone after a year. The only member of the 2020 staff with head coaching experience is Justice, who coached at Division II Campbell."

"Keep in mind that when Erik Spoelstra was named Heat coach 12 years ago, Pat Riley made sure he had a sage, experienced lead assistant in Ron Rothstein. Something like that should have happened here."

"I’m guessing Diaz will turn this around because of his intelligence (I always gamble on smart people) and because Lashlee’s offensive system should work here. But an experienced, been-around-the-block voice in Diaz’s ear would help, as the person inside the program said."

" One member of UM’s Board of Trustees said: “I’m concerned about the alumni, boosters and fans and how dissatisfied they are. When they’re dissatisfied, they don’t spend money.”

"That trustee said that’s one reason he hopes changes extend beyond a new offensive coordinator and scheme. But that’s not going to happen, with UM’s decision not to hire Alonzo Highsmith."

"At this point, UM believes Lashlee’s offense, a new quarterback, a new kicker and a crackdown on player behaviorial issues will fix what ails the program."

Wouldn't have Zo fill that role?

Advertisement
It's not a "Florida" thing b/c other teams that have Florida players aren't soft. It's a coaching, development, schematic, respect, scouting, etc. thing.

-Coker benefited from a culture that Butch built. Once Butch's recruits left, Coker was left butt naked and unqualified for the job.

-We then hired Randy Shannon who came from the same culture that Coker let erode. To Randy's credit, he did try, but he came from a broken regime and was ill-equipped to put out the chit show fire that Coker.

-We then hired Golden....Golden tried to bring an old BIG10 philosophy to a school known for speed and athletes. I feel Golden could've been more successful here, but he was dogmatic and arrogant on doing things his way, never embraced the Miami culture (the real one), and refused to hire a staff that would challenge him to make him better (eerily similar to what's going on now). He put friendship and arrogance over the program.

-Richt was hired 5 yrs too late; he literally used this job to fulfill a dream, to coach w/ his son. That's why my boy @k9cane referred to his tenure as Richtirement. The staff he put together was not strong, outside of Thomas Brown, to be honest. At least Brown had P5 experience w/ results, but his three main guys were his former players and his son! Nepotism at it's finest. He coasted, and when the decision came to hire a new staff, he chose to leave.

-Since we just love ground hogs day here, we hired Manny who came from the same culture that Richt let erode further. Manny, is more Golden than Shannon. Manny has also created a very divisive spirit around the program as it was Def v. Off as opposed to team.

Regardless,
We've had players who have been deemed "soft" from CA, TX, MN, NY, and FL. Clearly, we have a program problem, not a player problem.....look no further than the back and forth bull chit w/ Zo coming on board and what his job duties would include.

FSU looked pretty **** soft. They might be softer than we are, and that's a **** feat to accomplish.

Even the Gators looked completely overrated to me all year long. USF, FIU, FAU are all soft football teams. The only Florida team that I have any kind of respect for is UCF - they're doing something right and getting the most out of their kids over there. They know how to win games.

Still - you might be right. Maybe it's not a Florida thing. But it's been going on here at Miami for at least 15 years, under multiple head coaches, coordinators, and athletic directors. So I'm not buying that it's just coaching.

I don't buy that if you just Fire Manny and Blake, all of the sudden our problems will go away and we'll be back to winning championships again.

He wants no part of anyone challenging him. The defensive staff is a microcosm of the entire staff. Young guys that know nothing but what they learned from Manny as a GA or whatever they were prior to their position that Manny gave them.

There's only one correct answer in the room and they all think the same way. Hopefully the offense is transitioning from that line of thinking bringing in multiple guys with OC experience and Justice coming from the Rich Rod tree and system vs Lashlee and the Malzahn tree. That's how its supposed to be. Similar concepts but merging different ways of thinking.

I couldn’t help but tell Manure this a couple of years ago. If he had any common sense he would know that he should never be the smartest guy in the room. He doesn’t even know what he doesn’t know.

I’m a Michigan Hoops fan and Juwan Howard hired Phil Martelli.

I’ve heard rumors manny likes being the smartest guy in the room and you can kind of see that if the original staff he hired.

I hope it’s not true and I hope he eats better support staff in place
Smartest Guy in the room with a MD in losing to FIU...Little Eddie Munster lookin MFer can kiss my ***...

Advertisement
I agree wholeheartedly..but who are these assistants Miami can pull with HC experience?..someone used Saban which is amusing to me considering their budget, the number of assistants who you guys would consider terrible because they were fired b4 and a Bama assistant job lastly, is a catapult job for a HC next stop because it’s low risk, high reward spot to be...all in all it’s a a lot of chirping around our program that’s been struggling and needs a rebuild in infrastructure first. I agree with most of you guys who talk about it at nauseaum and make new threads each week even tho some swear everything I post is in defense of the staff our admins lol...I find it comical the leaks from these so called trustees when they are directly the reason why the program is in the position it’s in..lots of pointing fingers

butch jones, major applewhite, and sark all worked at bama as analysts for around 40k a year. They are still getting checks From their old schools but they went there to go back to school, not for money

FSU looked pretty **** soft. They might be softer than we are, and that's a **** feat to accomplish.

Even the Gators looked completely overrated to me all year long. USF, FIU, FAU are all soft football teams. The only Florida team that I have any kind of respect for is UCF - they're doing something right and getting the most out of their kids over there. They know how to win games.

Still - you might be right. Maybe it's not a Florida thing. But it's been going on here at Miami for at least 15 years, under multiple head coaches, coordinators, and athletic directors. So I'm not buying that it's just coaching.

I don't buy that if you just Fire Manny and Blake, all of the sudden our problems will go away and we'll be back to winning championships again.

This is going to pain me to say this:
UF just went 11-2 and their 2 losses came against the team that just won the Nat'l Title and a team that went 12-2 playing for the SEC title game. They lost both games by a combined 21 points total. UF wasn't soft this year...***, yes....but not soft. Since hiring Mullens, they have gone 21-5 including
2-0 in bowl games.

FAU just went 11-2 this year, including dog chitting on SMU in their bowl game. Kiffin went 26-13 in 3 yrs there, winning 10+ games 2 of the 3 yrs

FIU has gone 23-16 the last 3 yrs including whooping our *** this year

Let's talk about FSU real quick:
FSU is a prime example of what happens when you make a **** poor hire. Look no further than Willie Taggart to how soft FSU look. Willie Taggart was out here tweeting "Ring ding ding from Mickey....shimmy me timbers, we just got a nice phone call today to make us do something." Who in the fck is going to play for a dweeb like that?? Prior to Willie, FSU was smacking the chit out of us on a yearly basis.

See when you hire the wrong coach, you have the wrong people leading, this is the results. FSU didn't wait around; they already saw the writings on the wall. Miami? We waited 5 yrs w/ Coker. We waited 4 yrs w/ Shannon. We waited 4.5 years w/ Golden (lost us the Nike deal for this one). Thank God Richt decided to leave b/c we would've waited 2 more years w/ him. And now Manny.

Coker (no head coaching experience)
Shannon (no head coaching experience)
Golden (**** poor results at Temple except for one year)
Richt (Literally wanted to retire but we sweetened the pot to let him coach w/ his boy and he calls all the plays)
Manny (no head coaching experience)

Coker was this close to being fired while on Butch's staff
Shannon learned from Coker
Golden had no business being here and I yelled out loud when we hired him, but he was a good talker and had me blind for 2 yrs
Richt had no business being here b/c he wanted to retire from UGA
Manny has no business being here.

This is how you get to the point of where we are. We went cheap, cheap, cheap, over paid for a used commodity, then overpaid for a thrift shop item.

My company almost did the same thing until we finally made the right hire and we've shot up JD Powers and Associates and AM Best ratings.

butch jones, major applewhite, and sark all worked at bama as analysts for around 40k a year. They are still getting checks From their old schools but they went there to go back to school, not for money
Exactly.. not even as coordinators..my point is do we have the budget, are we willing to allocate and lastly is Miami a destination where coaches of their ilk see it as a chance to recalibrate there careers..answer is a hard no

Advertisement
Al Golden could have won big here if only he wasn't married to that garbage defense and D'Onofrio.

Other than his DC and his weird obsession with weight, Golden actually did a lot of things right.

We really hire the worst coaches at Miami.
I've tried to explain that to alot of people. If he wouldnt have been so loyal to his buddy he couldve done really good here. Only other issue was the weighing kids down nonsense. I'd take another run with him having a staff we choose over another couple years with mandy and co.

Advertisement
Sometimes the guys in charge truly believe the **** that comes out of their mouths. I see it all the time where I work and then the next week management changes their minds and starts spewing something else.

The sad part is the employees see through the bs and laugh when they walk away. There is no respect for them. Kind of how our players probably feel.

Definitely how the fans feel and it appears some of the BOT are starting to feel that way towards Blake and Manny.

I've tried to explain that to alot of people. If he wouldnt have been so loyal to his buddy he couldve done really good here. Only other issue was the weighing kids down nonsense. I'd take another run with him having a staff we choose over another couple years with mandy and co.
What’s your gut how this plays out with Blake and Manny, and hopefully a new president? Has this whole Zo debacle changed it at all?

Jesus H the hysteria over every opinion article that supports the narrative is hilarious.

Love the dumbass comments, "Diaz thinks he's the smartest guy in the room." Welcome to coaching, every coach thinks that. Dumbass catchphrase that the simps picked up and ran with here.

One thing I know from reading these boards, there's a bunch of people here who think they're the smartest guy in the room.

Advertisement
Back