Manny needs more experince around him--Miami Herald today

"One bit of advice offered by a person inside the UM program: Manny Diaz needs to hire more voices around him who are older than him, preferably with more head coaching experience. That hasn’t happened this offseason, though we very much like the hiring of younger assistants Rhett Lashlee as offensive coordinator and Garin Justise as offensive line coach."

"The only former head coach on Diaz’s 2019 staff was offensive coordinator Dan Enos, and he’s gone after a year. The only member of the 2020 staff with head coaching experience is Justice, who coached at Division II Campbell."

"Keep in mind that when Erik Spoelstra was named Heat coach 12 years ago, Pat Riley made sure he had a sage, experienced lead assistant in Ron Rothstein. Something like that should have happened here."

"I’m guessing Diaz will turn this around because of his intelligence (I always gamble on smart people) and because Lashlee’s offensive system should work here. But an experienced, been-around-the-block voice in Diaz’s ear would help, as the person inside the program said."

" One member of UM’s Board of Trustees said: “I’m concerned about the alumni, boosters and fans and how dissatisfied they are. When they’re dissatisfied, they don’t spend money.”

"That trustee said that’s one reason he hopes changes extend beyond a new offensive coordinator and scheme. But that’s not going to happen, with UM’s decision not to hire Alonzo Highsmith."

"At this point, UM believes Lashlee’s offense, a new quarterback, a new kicker and a crackdown on player behaviorial issues will fix what ails the program."

University of Coral Gables Football Program is a house on fire.

With no firefighters on scene.

Advertisement
"One bit of advice offered by a person inside the UM program: Manny Diaz needs to hire more voices around him who are older than him, preferably with more head coaching experience. That hasn’t happened this offseason, though we very much like the hiring of younger assistants Rhett Lashlee as offensive coordinator and Garin Justise as offensive line coach."

"The only former head coach on Diaz’s 2019 staff was offensive coordinator Dan Enos, and he’s gone after a year. The only member of the 2020 staff with head coaching experience is Justice, who coached at Division II Campbell."

"Keep in mind that when Erik Spoelstra was named Heat coach 12 years ago, Pat Riley made sure he had a sage, experienced lead assistant in Ron Rothstein. Something like that should have happened here."

"I’m guessing Diaz will turn this around because of his intelligence (I always gamble on smart people) and because Lashlee’s offensive system should work here. But an experienced, been-around-the-block voice in Diaz’s ear would help, as the person inside the program said."

" One member of UM’s Board of Trustees said: “I’m concerned about the alumni, boosters and fans and how dissatisfied they are. When they’re dissatisfied, they don’t spend money.”

"That trustee said that’s one reason he hopes changes extend beyond a new offensive coordinator and scheme. But that’s not going to happen, with UM’s decision not to hire Alonzo Highsmith."

"At this point, UM believes Lashlee’s offense, a new quarterback, a new kicker and a crackdown on player behaviorial issues will fix what ails the program."

We all know that the Enos hire was meant to fill that need for a seasoned coach to mentor Manny. Problem is the seasoning turned out to be table salt versus Goya Adobo...Ultimately it falls on Manny. He let Enos fool him into hiring Enos. Enos was a major bust in every category; OC, QB Corch, mentor, etc...

33110359-76BF-4CAF-87BA-76235DF0A8FB.jpeg

I really didn't know if he had been or not and I know he wasn't going for a coaching job. I just thought the article referenced needing a coach with experience.
It did but I was making a broader point that Manny thinks he has all the pieces to succeed and doesn’t want anyone looking over him. If he wanted more advice from an experienced coach he would have replaced Blake with a quality DC and other position coaches. The article makes no sense in the context of a HC who failed miserably and has been involved with the program for 4 years. He should know what he needs by now and yet he only replaced an OC and one position coach. Like I said he thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room.

Advertisement
Miami needs experienced assistant's.. I been preaching for them to hire some ex-NFL coach's, but ppl here think that's crazy.. I would take the old Miami Dolphins staff over this staff!! At least it's NFL guys who can coach these player's better then this clowns on this Miami staff...

Manny and his@TNM lost to FIU and La Tech!! This program has basically gave up, the administration ppl has made it clear SPORTS are not priority here Miami "The U"... If so, Manny would've been fired for halftime of the bowl game..

Advertisement
Yeah, all this article shows is that the BOT doesn't want to admit they made a mistake in ok'ing the hiring of Diaz.

I also lol'd at the Spo comparison. only connection there is that it's a sports team in Miami lmao
Spoelstra was nothing more than a video choreographer as well. Difference was basketball is all hes ever known. He didnt just decide mid way through life ah that would be cool to be. Mandy is what he is. Personally I'd say the only thing that kept him out of politics is the lisp. But that's just my guess.

A good example yet different sport is Juwan Howard at Michigan. First time coach but noticed he had that old dude from St. Joes all in his ear during the games that’s been around the block. Phil Martelli? Or something

hiring a head coach with head coaching experience seems more ideal

Advertisement
I’m a Michigan Hoops fan and Juwan Howard hired Phil Martelli.

I’ve heard rumors manny likes being the smartest guy in the room and you can kind of see that if the original staff he hired.

I hope it’s not true and I hope he eats better support staff in place

dumbing down the room so you can be the smartest one in it smells like success to me...so savage

Al Golden could have won big here if only he wasn't married to that garbage defense and D'Onofrio.

Other than his DC and his weird obsession with weight, Golden actually did a lot of things right.

We really hire the worst coaches at Miami.
They're cheap. Of course they are horrible. These BOT clowns don't care. I think they should be investigated because someone's getting rich(er) off all this tuition money. NOTHING is going to athletics. It never has. Any other school that won like we were in the '80s should have amazing facilities. We just got a IPF this past year. Damned school is a racket. Always has been.

Advertisement
We now know whether or not the BOT feels any pressure coming from the fanbase. (They do).

One member of UM’s Board of Trustees said: “I’m concerned about the alumni, boosters and fans and how dissatisfied they are. When they’re dissatisfied, they don’t spend money.”

They're cheap. Of course they are horrible. These BOT clowns don't care. I think they should be investigated because someone's getting rich(er) off all this tuition money. NOTHING is going to athletics. It never has. Any other school that won like we were in the '80s should have amazing facilities. We just got a IPF this past year. Damned school is a racket. Always has been.
Money ain’t the issue in 2020

I think David Epstein should be investigated. 100% serious. Does anybody know what that guy even does for a living?

Advertisement
Back