Manny needs more experince around him--Miami Herald today

Umfuture

Banned
Banned
"One bit of advice offered by a person inside the UM program: Manny Diaz needs to hire more voices around him who are older than him, preferably with more head coaching experience. That hasn’t happened this offseason, though we very much like the hiring of younger assistants Rhett Lashlee as offensive coordinator and Garin Justise as offensive line coach."

"The only former head coach on Diaz’s 2019 staff was offensive coordinator Dan Enos, and he’s gone after a year. The only member of the 2020 staff with head coaching experience is Justice, who coached at Division II Campbell."

"Keep in mind that when Erik Spoelstra was named Heat coach 12 years ago, Pat Riley made sure he had a sage, experienced lead assistant in Ron Rothstein. Something like that should have happened here."

"I’m guessing Diaz will turn this around because of his intelligence (I always gamble on smart people) and because Lashlee’s offensive system should work here. But an experienced, been-around-the-block voice in Diaz’s ear would help, as the person inside the program said."

" One member of UM’s Board of Trustees said: “I’m concerned about the alumni, boosters and fans and how dissatisfied they are. When they’re dissatisfied, they don’t spend money.”

"That trustee said that’s one reason he hopes changes extend beyond a new offensive coordinator and scheme. But that’s not going to happen, with UM’s decision not to hire Alonzo Highsmith."

"At this point, UM believes Lashlee’s offense, a new quarterback, a new kicker and a crackdown on player behaviorial issues will fix what ails the program."

Advertisement
He wants no part of anyone challenging him. The defensive staff is a microcosm of the entire staff. Young guys that know nothing but what they learned from Manny as a GA or whatever they were prior to their position that Manny gave them.

There's only one correct answer in the room and they all think the same way. Hopefully the offense is transitioning from that line of thinking bringing in multiple guys with OC experience and Justice coming from the Rich Rod tree and system vs Lashlee and the Malzahn tree. That's how its supposed to be. Similar concepts but merging different ways of thinking.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Whoever has been leaking to Barry Jackson is the best thing to happen to this program in years.

Barry has been bringing the heat and it’s clearly being felt by the admin judging by all the statements of support they’ve had to issue.

There’s obviously a back room struggle going on. Generally those aren’t positive for incumbents.

Advertisement
He wants no part of anyone challenging him. The defensive staff is a microcosm of the entire staff. Young guys that know nothing but what they learned from Manny as a GA or whatever they were prior to their position that Manny gave them.

There's only one correct answer in the room and they all think the same way. Hopefully the offense is transitioning from that line of thinking bringing in multiple guys with OC experience and Justice coming from the Rich Rod tree and system vs Lashlee and the Malzahn tree. That's how its supposed to be. Similar concepts but merging different ways of thinking.

Mack Brown did this to him at Texas. Mack forced Manny to hire an experienced cornerbacks coach. That defense failed horribly, and Manny got fired mid season.

I think that's why Manny won't hire experienced coaches anymore. I've been saying since the day we hired him - he only wants "yes-men" on staff, and that is a terrible trait.

Compare that with Nick Saban, who has had countless ex head coaches on his staff.

Point of story: Don't hire a coach that needs an on-job mentor or a babysitter.

The Spo comparison doesn't really stand either because The Godfather had already spent years grooming him. Rothstein wasn't there to continue that but just to round out the staff with a nice grey beard element.

Advertisement
Point of story: Don't hire a coach that needs an on-job mentor or a babysitter.

The Spo comparison doesn't really stand either because The Godfather had already spent years grooming him. Rothstein wasn't there to continue that but just to round out the staff with a nice grey beard element.
Yeah, all this article shows is that the BOT doesn't want to admit they made a mistake in ok'ing the hiring of Diaz.

I also lol'd at the Spo comparison. only connection there is that it's a sports team in Miami lmao

Mack Brown did this to him at Texas. Mack forced Manny to hire an experienced cornerbacks coach. That defense failed horribly, and Manny got fired mid season.

I think that's why Manny won't hire experienced coaches anymore. I've been saying since the day we hired him - he only wants "yes-men" on staff, and that is a terrible trait.

Compare that with Nick Saban, who has had countless ex head coaches on his staff.

Yep he had Duane Akina on staff at Texas. Not necessarily a guy that's gonna challenge the DC but he's an elite position coach.

I understand having a guy on each side of the ball on staff that might not have a ton of experience but knows the system and is probably regarded as a good recruiter (which none of his hires have been)

Advertisement
Back