Manny, for your viewing pleasure (LOL) Updated

Mr. Dynasty1

Junior
  • “It was a very, very disappointing performance. We just did not bring our fight from the players, staff, and everybody—we feel like we let everybody down.”

- The team will review the UNC film on Monday morning. When talking about where the run defense struggled started, Diaz highlighted the defensive line. “It started up front,” Diaz said. “What we thought would be an advantage for us was not. When they get that running game going, they are tough to stop and their backs just dominated the game.” Miami finished the game with five tackles for loss. They entered the game averaging nine tackles for loss per game.

- Diaz on if effort was the issue against UNC: “What is interesting is when we went back and watched the film, obviously our energy and enthusiasm was not what it needed to be, but when you watch the film, you do see guys playing with effort. We have our GPS catapult system, which actually shows you the work load that the guys put in. We had ten guys at over 20 miles per hour through the course of the game.” Diaz highlighted CB Te’Cory Couch as a guy that was sprinting down the field trying to chase down long runs. “It was simply an *** kicking.”

- Diaz on the in-game adjustments to stop UNC’s run game: “When we made adjustments and did some things with movement that are designed to take away some of the things they were doing that have been there for us all year, we didn’t execute those things. We have to coach those things a lot better and bring a lot more fight in the way we play in our front seven.”

- Diaz believes the team needs a break to recharge before the bowl game later this month: “We appeared to be emotionally exhausted. That is the best way I can sum it up, on a day that we had everything to play for. When you get into why are you emotionally exhausted, you are getting into the intangibles and that is what makes it harder to unpack…We didn’t have the emotional will to compete in a game like that and that gave us no chance to win…We do not have to be defined by one horrendous evening and thank God we have the chance to play a bowl game to punctuate this season.”

- Diaz was asked about the criticism of defensive coordinator Blake Baker: “Ultimately it starts with me. We didn’t get it done. It is a problem. We didn’t do our jobs and help our guys out.”

- Diaz on the trajectory of the program. “We are going somewhere. Saturday was horrendous. We sucked on Saturday. We are not where we were [in 2019] and we are not where we need to be, but we know we have made progress. We have improved the people on our team and representing our football team. On Wednesday [the early signing day] we have the opportunity to build and grow this team.”

- Following the loss to UNC, Diaz says he spent an hour talking with Miami’s Chief of Staff, Ed Reed on how to handle things moving forward. “He talked about the 1998 loss to Syracuse,” Diaz said. “His point was it is now all about how you respond to it and how you respond in the offseason. Our guys responded to last year during the offseason in the way that was required and I think the same thing will happen this offseason. What do we do next is what really matters.”

- Diaz on the progress of the program year over year: “This team has moved us up the mountain and we are aware that we have stumbled and we look back and realize we are not where we were. Now the question is do we have the will to keep on and I trust that our players do.”

- Diaz says the staff checked in with all of Miami’s commits within 90 minutes of the loss to North Carolina and they made it clear to him that they are all in with joining the UM program. “I love those guys,” Diaz said. “Those guys are all in. The majority of those guys committed before we played a game this year. They committed off of 6-7 a year ago. It was great to hear all those players say they are ready to get on campus and get to work. They are all in on the Canes.”

- Diaz believes the team will be motivated to play in a bowl game at the end of this month. “We need to recharge our batteries,” Diaz said. “We are going to do some things this week to get that done. I am proud of what they have done to get us back to this point and when we get back to work, I think they will be excited to go play in a bowl.”

“Manny Diaz says he will answer the question about staff the same that he did a year ago. He will wait until the season is over and then evaluate the season as a whole and make the best decision for the football team. He says that type of decision making helped the offense this year.”

“Diaz says they have to rebuild the defense coming off that UNC game.”

I think there will be some changes based on that. How significant, I dont Know

Last edited:
Advertisement
3 weeks off. Emotionally exhausted.

Also, Manny's MPH = Golden's weight. When either coach suffered an embarrassing loss and faved questions about their performance, they have a nervous tick. For Golden, he'd start rambling off the weights of every player until all the media trickled away from him eventually leaving him alone on a field talking to himself.

Manny's version of this seems to be to talk about who hit 20mph.

Last edited:
“His point was it is now all about how you respond to it and how you respond in the offseason. Our guys responded to last year during the offseason in the way that was required and I think the same thing will happen this offseason. What do we do next is what really matters.”

Diaz already quick to point to the offseason because he knows that's his time to shine. He is the Nick Saban of the offseason. Unfortunately for him, there is no national championship for offseason performance. What a joke.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The team will review the UNC film on Monday morning. When talking about where the run defense struggled started, Diaz highlighted the defensive line. “It started up front,” Diaz said. “What we thought would be an advantage for us was not. When they get that running game going, they are tough to stop and their backs just dominated the game.” Miami finished the game with five tackles for loss. They entered the game averaging nine tackles for loss per game.
I might end up with a petition to ban this useless stat. Tackles for Loss dont mean ****.

“What is interesting is when we went back and watched the film, obviously our energy and enthusiasm was not what it needed to be, but when you watch the film, you do see guys playing with effort.
Was it there or wasnt it there? Pick your poison.

“When we made adjustments and did some things with movement that are designed to take away some of the things they were doing that have been there for us all year, we didn’t execute those things. We have to coach those things a lot better and bring a lot more fight in the way we play in our front seven.”
Its not about the fight, its about fundamental football... For ***** sake. We can run around, playing with a lot of passion, but when you consistenly run yourself out of plays, the passion that you have doesnt mean ****. Have some passion about fundamentals.

Diaz was asked about the criticism of defensive coordinator Blake Baker: “Ultimately it starts with me. We didn’t get it done. It is a problem. We didn’t do our jobs and help our guys out.”
I wouldnt say that this is concerning. He refuses to trash his assistant, which is fine by me as long as he fires his *** after the season.

Diaz says the staff checked in with all of Miami’s commits within 90 minutes of the loss to North Carolina and they made it clear to him that they are all in with joining the UM program. “I love those guys,” Diaz said. “Those guys are all in. The majority of those guys committed before we played a game this year. They committed off of 6-7 a year ago. It was great to hear all those players say they are ready to get on campus and get to work. They are all in on the Canes.”
This is good.
Diaz believes the team will be motivated to play in a bowl game at the end of this month. “We need to recharge our batteries,” Diaz said. “We are going to do some things this week to get that done. I am proud of what they have done to get us back to this point and when we get back to work, I think they will be excited to go play in a bowl.”
I doubt he meant it as in physical exhaustion. When you get hammered like that, in any sport, mentally it ***** you up for a bit. No one likes getting their *** kicked in front of an audience.

Overall, these interviews right now are **** for Diaz. Doesnt matter what he says, he is the target right now and theres nothing really to say (except "I will resign" according to some). Its a lot of coach speak.

Advertisement
Couple of things:

-You know it's a bad day when a coach "highlights" a player running fast in effort to catch the ball carrier on their long runs.

-Reed mentioned Syracuse, which was the other game other than the GT disaster this reminded me of. The difference between those two and Saturday was an explosive passing game.

-Recharge batteries? Man I hate this phrase. How above you kick some *** in practice during the next 2 weeks.

-Side note....play as many of the young kids as possible in the bowl game.

Advertisement
Emotionally exhausted? Need a break? Recharge batteries? It was the second game after after a 3 week off period!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!
no excuses for manny, but we've dealt with alot behind the scenes as others have pointed out ... i can see how we were riding high on emotions and then got punch in our **** and lost the wind in our sails ... also, we're 8-2

Advertisement
- Diaz on if effort was the issue against UNC: “What is interesting is when we went back and watched the film, obviously our energy and enthusiasm was not what it needed to be, but when you watch the film, you do see guys playing with effort. We have our GPS catapult system, which actually shows you the work load that the guys put in. We had ten guys at over 20 miles per hour through the course of the game.” Diaz highlighted CB Te’Cory Couch as a guy that was sprinting down the field trying to chase down long runs. “It was simply an *** kicking.”
Still haven't read through it all, but this is one of my main issues with Diaz. Stats and data analytics are great when used correctly. Your system that is referenced is pretty flawed when you're gauging effort by max speed in a game. The DL was beyond selfish and put the defense in bad spots. By the time the game got out of hand in the 1st quarter, you could see that the team just quit.

Pathetic!!!
Exhausted before the game?????
Right on queue brings out the "I spoke to Reed for an hour on the phone" bullsh1t....knowing full well a section of the fan base will lap that **** up.
ITS NOT JUST ABOUT FIRING BAKER!!!
FIRING BAKER JUST TO HIRE ANOTHER GUY JUST TO CALL MANNYS SCHEME IS JUST rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Manolos scheme is the problem.

Advertisement
Back