Manny Diaz

Advertisement
There was an article last year in Athlon with quotes from anonymous coaches about ACC opponents. There was a quote about Diaz that is interesting to reflect on.
"Manny Diaz does a nice job defensively, but he’s a total gimmick guy. He wants to try to prove to people that he’s brilliant. He’s got some really nice pieces, but they’re too gimmicky for my taste.”
Athlon: Anonymous Opposing Coaches Discuss Miami

And that's pretty spot on. He tries to get too cute and overcomplicate things when all that is needed is just fast, violent gap-shooting assignment football.

But to be honest, I think it's more than just Diaz. I think the days of being a hands-on HC are way over. P5 CFB is just too all-consuming today, so the HC has to be responsible for so much more than what goes on on the field. That's why it is imperative that a HC should have a strong group of assistants. Richt's staff does not even compare to some of the Top 10 programs.

Dumb Coach O is no better than Richt, but he's got himself two excellent coordinators in Dave Aranda and Matt Canada and very good staff under each of them. We've got to upgrade the coaching staff under Richt considerably if we want to take the next step.

I've supported some things about Coach Diaz. I've questioned some things Coach Diaz does. I think we're currently hovering slightly below our potential.

There's a long thread from when Diaz was hired where poster GoldenShowers (not sure what name he currently posts under) and I watched each of his MSt games. Diaz called more or less the same defense (at least in philosophy) with the same vulnerabilities when his guys don't get home (to the QB). The late blitzes and telegraphed DB blitzes really have to go or be adjusted. They're stale. You can see opponents prepared for them.

Even if we remove the Savannah St game stats, his 3rd down defense is actually better [so far] this year. But, on the flipside, a stat I think is more telling of a defense is yards/play, and we're worse so far there this year. He's trusting his DBs a bit more, which is why you saw Jackson beat 1 on 1 a couple times by nice plays/throws. We've finally kept 3rd LB off the field more, which was inexplicable last year. There's still general concern because we struggle with pass coverage in certain areas and I don't think we have the DL depth (specifically DT) we need.

We'll see what adjustments are made, if any. When it comes to ACC schedule, I worry less about our D than I do about our O.

I've supported some things about Coach Diaz. I've questioned some things Coach Diaz does. I think we're currently hovering slightly below our potential.

There's a long thread from when Diaz was hired where poster GoldenShowers (not sure what name he currently posts under) and I watched each of his MSt games. Diaz called more or less the same defense (at least in philosophy) with the same vulnerabilities when his guys don't get home (to the QB). The late blitzes and telegraphed DB blitzes really have to go or be adjusted. They're stale. You can see opponents prepared for them.

Even if we remove the Savannah St game stats, his 3rd down defense is actually better [so far] this year. But, on the flipside, a stat I think is more telling of a defense is yards/play, and we're worse so far there this year. He's trusting his DBs a bit more, which is why you saw Jackson beat 1 on 1 a couple times by nice plays/throws. We've finally kept 3rd LB off the field more, which was inexplicable last year. There's still general concern because we struggle with pass coverage in certain areas and I don't think we have the DL depth (specifically DT) we need.

We'll see what adjustments are made, if any. When it comes to ACC schedule, I worry less about our D than I do about our O.

I trust your opinion as someone who watches film and such. So given the talent and depth what direction do you think we should be goin on Defense

Lol;

I knew this crap was going to happen. Win a couple of games against trash opponents and the white knight fans will come to defend.

Watch w ur eyes, not w ur heart. Manny’s schemes are fooling no one. Some times his overload blitz work, but his zone scheme leaves us wide open and susceptible for big plays.

Also, still not understanding y our DBs don’t turn their head around.

Advertisement
There was one play coming out of a timeout where we were blitzing everyone from the left and the QB threw an easy swing pass to the RB for a big gain.

It's too obvious. At least disguise it. Everytime someone walks up to the line they blitz, never back out.

when we play just a basic 4-3 defense or with a striker we are gawd **** machines out there

diaz isn't smart enough to stop out smarting himself?

when the dude just plays a base D his D is borderline elite

Advertisement
Lol;

I knew this crap was going to happen. Win a couple of games against trash opponents and the white knight fans will come to defend.

Watch w ur eyes, not w ur heart. Manny’s schemes are fooling no one. Some times his overload blitz work, but his zone scheme leaves us wide open and susceptible for big plays.

Also, still not understanding y our DBs don’t turn their head around.
I just see the same players getting burned or washed out on broken plays. It’s getting old fast with the same names in knowles and dean, I’m also going to lump in Redwine there I gave him a pass last year but this year he’s been bad I don’t think he’s a good safety and that falls on Banda

Also....

Manny has a history of these exact defenses. Yet people jizzed themselves when he was hired and only now is everyone realizing hes garbage.

Advertisement
And that's pretty spot on. He tries to get too cute and overcomplicate things when all that is needed is just fast, violent gap-shooting assignment football.

But to be honest, I think it's more than just Diaz. I think the days of being a hands-on HC are way over. P5 CFB is just too all-consuming today, so the HC has to be responsible for so much more than what goes on on the field. That's why it is imperative that a HC should have a strong group of assistants. Richt's staff does not even compare to some of the Top 10 programs.

Dumb Coach O is no better than Richt, but he's got himself two excellent coordinators in Dave Aranda and Matt Canada and very good staff under each of them. We've got to upgrade the coaching staff under Richt considerably if we want to take the next step.

Yep. In his first season at Miami he had to keep things simple for the players, and we were fast and violent. Especially at linebacker.

As much as we dog Randy Shannon, he knew enough not to ***** up those early 00’s teams. Keep it simple and let your athletes play on instinct.

Millennials in here don’t know what a Miami defense looks like. Surprise

Advertisement
Knowles is the human version of the blue pill, but instead of erectile deficiency, he helps offense deficiency.

Right when he enters the game the offense gets an instant erection, and goes right at him.

The kid is legit terrible

he doesnt have the depth. mannys problem is he lacks the horses to do what he wants. it didnt work in texas or miss state as well because its a south florida attacking style. you guys hated Coach D now you got an aggressive guy and you complain. i mean he's not the greatest but he's far from the worst.

Advertisement
Back