Manny Diaz

We held TOLEDO to 334 yards and you think that's acceptable?

The defence was dominant for the first half, then Diaz failed to adjust to Toledo's new game plan and gave up 20+ points in a hurry. They completely shredded his overly aggressive scheme - there's simply no need to blitz and stunt as much as we do.

Maybe we don't need to be as aggressive as we are, but don't forget that the aggressiveness is what makes the magic happen. Look at all those INTs last year, very few were great DB plays, they were mostly bad passes caused by the pass rush.

Bottom line, everybody want's Diaz's foot on the gas when it's working. And god help the guy if he eases back and we get picked apart. Are you seriously sure that Toledo's QB couldn't pick apart our secondary if he didn't have a rush in his face?

Advertisement
Manny thinks he's much smarter than he really is. Guy still hasn't figured it out.

I think Richt will fire Diaz after this year, any good OC with a few horses eats him up. He may be a good Dll coach but he ain't ready for this level. Watch what happens when we get into conference, they have figured his defense out and he ain't smart enough to change
How much you want to bet that he fields another top 30 Defense and leaves for a Head coaching job or he’s back next year?

Manny thinks he's much smarter than he really is. Guy still hasn't figured it out.
Y’all are starting to sound like me talking about this guy. I feel so touched that I’m rubbing off on you guys.

@Cane Dynasty are you seeing this?

I was happy when he got him knowing the team would be more aggressive. We still need more talent on this team. I actually am starting to feel that we are incredibly average with our players on defense.

The scheme can mask some of that by appearing aggressive.

Advertisement
When Miami went from Dnofrio to Diaz there was a huge improvement just by better utilizing the players. When Miami upgrades from Diaz, you will see that same degree of improvement and Miami will suddenly have a Top 10 defense. Even Randy Shannon would be a huge upgrade. Hey, if everyone wants to give BBB a shot at redemption, then Shannon should get one too.

Advertisement
He's not firing Diaz will you guys stop with all this ****.

Yes, he can be better, but he's not a coordinator who should be on the bubble either. Of the eight games we've lost during his tenure, I can't think of one where I would identify the defense as being the lone problem which cost us the game.

Advertisement
I think Manny should dumb down the D a little bit. And let the young men play into their strengths. I believe a four man rush with gap discipline from linebackers will do us wonders. Only ones he should rotate to keep fresh more frequently are our linemen (a la Philly Eagles) and not the whole team all the time.

And Knowles doesn't deserve that #20. Why he still see the field is beyond me.
Love the aggressiveness though, but shouldn't have to be overly aggressive and give out too many hints pre-snap.

Advertisement
Diaz's biggest problem is he is slow to adjust mid-game. Toledo's QB had to run free for 5-6 times with no adjustments. His *** was saved in the first half because the D-line just dominated and didn't need to bring the house to create pressure.

He is very frustrating to watch because this defense can be top 10 but he gets too cute and exotic and it backfires in his face. He doesn't care about giving up yards and sells out for the turnover and when the turnover doesn't come he gets exposed. (Wisconsin game is a perfect example)

There was an article last year in Athlon with quotes from anonymous coaches about ACC opponents. There was a quote about Diaz that is interesting to reflect on.
"Manny Diaz does a nice job defensively, but he’s a total gimmick guy. He wants to try to prove to people that he’s brilliant. He’s got some really nice pieces, but they’re too gimmicky for my taste.”
Athlon: Anonymous Opposing Coaches Discuss Miami

Guy really loves to complicate things. Continued to the let the QB run all over us and didn’t account for it. Continues to play Knowles like he doesn’t stink. Dude has his is moments but he really needs to stop thinking he’s the smartest dude in the building
Diaz needs to quit slanting the d line on every play that's way that the qb is able to get out of the pocket. And I was there and their qb picked on the side Knowles was on, he just looks lost every play.

Advertisement
Back