Manny Diaz

LSU 3-16
SS 2-16
UT 2-11

Very much respect your opinion but this season at least, it's just not happening. We are #1 in the country in 3rd down efficiency and no QB has carved us up, at all.
Man I'm talking BODY OF WORK.
We've played 3 games this season, 2 of which were against inferior opponents. I'm not even concerning what's happened in 3 games. Let's see how we do once we get into ACC play.

Advertisement
Man I'm talking BODY OF WORK.
We've played 3 games this season, 2 of which were against inferior opponents. I'm not even concerning what's happened in 3 games. Let's see how we do once we get into ACC play.
Lmao...whwn you have to try this hard to explain youve already gone overboard.

When you talk body of work you could easily go back to Sabans record after he finished with Mich St. After 60 games he was only a few over 0.500, LSU wasn't concerned.

A body of work isn't defined in 4,5, 6 seasons. Especially if you've only spent a couple seasons at any one program. This is not the NFL, when you take program that has a tradition of winning, the stakes are always higher but the facts still remain that it takes time, period. What Manny has done defensively is pretty damned good.

Mangy Diaz is a gimmick.

If we are lucky some "smart" school will back up the Brinks truck to his house and offer him a HC gig. (where he will undoubtedly fail miserably.)

I don't like 'rah rah' guys as my OC or DC. I want X's and O's geniuses at those positions. We don't have that at either right now.

Richt might have a cousin who might fill Diaz's position and then we are really screwed...

LOL at supposed UM fans who are happy with being a top 30 defense just because we have a bunch of flash plays mixed in. That’s like being happy with a mediocre offense just because we have the most TDs over 50 yards.

If you’re happy with being the 29th ranked defense in the stats that matter, then you should be happy with being ranked 25th (or as an “others receiving votes”) in the polls at the end of the season.

You morons love flashy? I have this beautiful shiny quarter. I’ll trade it to you for a dingy wrinkled ugly piece of paper $5 bill.

LSU 3-16
SS 2-16
UT 2-11

Very much respect your opinion but this season at least, it's just not happening. We are #1 in the country in 3rd down efficiency and no QB has carved us up, at all.
Yeah people got to give credit where it’s due,it’s early but there has been improvement in that area. I’ve been complaining about miami not getting off the field when we were supposed to all offseason. They are doing it now, look at Toledo in 2017 they completed 13-23 3rd down attempts but last week only 2-11 on 3rd downs:

Advertisement
Yeah people got to give credit where it’s due,it’s early but there has been improvement in that area. I’ve been complaining about miami not getting off the field when we were supposed to all offseason. They are doing it now, look at Toledo in 2017 they completed 13-23 3rd down attempts but last week only 2-11 on 3rd downs:
Yet, despite our good play on 3rd down, they were matching us score for score in the third and made a ballgame out of it until they realized they couldn’t stop us and wilted.

Stop isolating a stat here and there and just watch the games. What do your eyes tell you when you watch our defense?

Yet, despite our good play on 3rd down, they were matching us score for score in the third and made a ballgame out of it until they realized they couldn’t stop us and wilted.

Stop isolating a stat here and there and just watch the games. What do your eyes tell you when you watch our defense?
I said They improved in that particular area, never said they were perfect. In fact I voiced My dismay with that last drive of the 1st half and 3rd quarter after the game already and have said sequences like that has to stop

TFL is a fun stat, but it’s not all important. No one has ever doubted Diaz’s ability to rack up TFL stats.

Problem is when you get a TFL on 1st down creating a 2nd and 13, and then you leave a receiver completely uncovered for a 15 yard completion.

Too much feast or famine with this guy. We go from a beautiful TFL to a 20 yard QB scramble on the next play or a wide open receiver torching is for 15.
That completely sums up our defense. Bam.

I get what you're saying, but that's not really the point that was being debated.

One person said we're doing pretty well in sacks and TFL--which is fine. Not a valid indicator of how the defense has played as a whole, but the stat is what it is. You can't really discount that because they're just splash plays when the plays that have hurt our total defense have been splash plays. A big run by LSU, and about 10 minutes worth of sloppy football against Toledo. Both of these can be weighed and measured in order to form an opinion of how one thinks the defense is performing. We're basically getting splash plays at the risk of giving up splash plays. It's a valid and healthy argument over whether or not this is a winning defensive philosophy.

The problem arises in these debates when posters leave the realm of objectivity and begin to over-exaggerate things. Someone comes in and says TFL and sacks don't mean dlck because we can't get off the field on 3rd down. This is just an objectively false statement intended to diminish the "reward" portion of the above debate and over-exaggerate the "risk."

Defensively, we have allowed 7 3rd down conversions on 41 attempts, about a 16% success rate. Defensive 3rd down conversion rate was one of our biggest weaknesses last season, and 16% is a marked improvement. What is debatable is whether or not this improvement is due to a concerted effort over the off season to address the issue. There can't be an honest debate of that as long as were substituting the objective numbers in favor of conjecture and predictions of what will happen in the future. It's week three. Almost every team we are measured against has played one decent opponent and two cupcakes. Our numbers, for better or worse, are just as valid as anyone else's.

Advertisement
Listen bro, I'm not going back and forth with you bro. I know way too much about DB play to argue with a novice who thought guys like Tracy Howard were going to be NFL studs.

Lol Nah u obviously don’t know **** but it’s better for ur “reputation” if you back down like you doing

Lol Nah u obviously don’t know **** but it’s better for ur “reputation” if you back down like you doing

Didn't every recruiting service in America and every college coach in America think Tracy Howard was going to be an NFL stud? lol

Howard was the #1 CB in the country when we got him.

I don't know how the recruiting services do it, but a 5-star should be a guy they think could ultimately be a first rounder with the rest of the top 300 being guys they think could be future 2 - 7th rounders.

At any rate a #1 guy at a position is a guy that at least the rating services think a lot of. And they usually have piles of big-times offers as well.

Didn't every recruiting service in America and every college coach in America think Tracy Howard was going to be an NFL stud? lol

coming out of high school yes but I’ve never said he was going to be a NFL stud MaRcho pulled that out of his anyway.

Lol regardless bringing up Tracy Howard in a convo about Michael Jackson as if they’re similar is just a weak deflection that makes him look even more like a coRch.

Advertisement
Stats can be used to make something look good or bad. The one defensive stat that counts more than all the rest combined is scoring defense .We are ranked 75th in scoring defense. To each their own but that is no where near being an elite defense

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back