Manny Diaz fatal flaw.

He was completely unqualified for this job. (and it's not his fault)

But look at the original staff he brought in for christ sake.
Head coaches who are qualified and have been around the coaching ranks for a while can assemble a staff of highly qualified assistants.
We're the University of Miami and we had a bunch of coaches who were still wet behind the ears. Schools like UCF had a more qualified staff than us. (speaking purely on resumes and coaching stops)

He has a more qualified staff NOW, but after too much trial-and-error.
That's why you don't hire a guy like Manny if you're the University of Miami. We ain't got time for nobody to be learning on the job.

Advertisement
Gap integrity on the defense. The cutback lanes presented to MSU's RB made me want to cry.
Here's my question. We have the same DL coach we had his second year as DC (Simpson) and we didn't have nearly the problems with gap integrity as we do now. So what has changed? It's not simpsons coaching.

Diaz just isn't the guy. I respect him because he tried **** near everything to make it work. Think about all the moves he made:
- hired a DC (Baker)... fired him a year later
- hired Bama QB coach/OC (Enos)... fired him a year later
- hired a spread OC (Lashlee)
- demoted CB coach (Rumph), hired T-Rob
- brought in tate, king to solve QB issues
- hired a bunch of local GA's/analysts (shoop, hyppotlite, etc.)
- revamped recruiting department (cooney, vaughn, pata, etc.)
- took over DC play calling (Failure)

We just got to the point where the only person left he can blame is himself. He tried **** near everything every poster on CIS complained about year after year. He just has no moves left. Adios.

Some people are just better at being #2's .. In MD's case - it does not even go that high. It is what it is.

Diaz's fatal flaw is he's a soft coach who isn't a real leader of men. He's too busy trying to be their friend and act "cool" and "hip" with the celebrations, jewelry, and yacht parties. He's all style no substance.

Advertisement
After Manny gets canned here, he better beg for admission into the Nick Saban Head Coach Rejuvenation Program of Alabama (also known as an Alabama analyst job).

How embarrassing is it to get fired by Mack Brown for your run defense...

And then have that same Mack Brown anally rape your run defense years later?

If that's not an indication of how slappy and easy-to-figure-out Manny Diaz defense is, then I don't know.
Mac probably took the UNC job just to demoralize Manny even more.

Is it bad that I envy the coach and culture of MSU? Apply that culture to our athletes and we're competitive every year. No?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back