Manny better start taking recruiting more seriously

In my opinion, I think Manny is attempting to take what some (myself included) consider the right approach to recruiting. He's following the Clemson model, which is simplistically put, you commit to us and you shut it down.

Unfortunately we do not have the recent success on the field and the bag game that Clemson has to make that model successful (yet).

However, I'm intrigued to see how this works. The key driver here is that we led college football in decommitments last year. And I applaud Manny for trying to change that.

Will it work? That remains to be seen.

While its certainly understandable to react to this with cynicism and doubt. I'm encouraged by the progress that our offense has made under Manny/Enos (in just two games) and expect that if we can demonstrate success on the field we'll see a positive impact in recruiting.

Advertisement
Not sure if anyone saw it but Navarro wrote a piece confirming that manny is telling commits not to go on visits. Restropo and Clarke are basically quoted confirming this.

Not sure if anyone saw it but Navarro wrote a piece confirming that manny is telling commits not to go on visits. Restropo and Clarke are basically quoted confirming this.

Yup and Clarke can go **** his own face based upon his attitude/quotes.

One thing I want to see more than anything else is actually being at nearly 85 scholarships... they always say they don’t want to take kids just to take them... well, look at DT Jason Strowbridge for UNC. Solid player from SFL that we never really recruited. Yet we take a player like Tyreic Martin that will never play a down here... when we aren’t even at 85, no reason not to roster a guy like that as solid depth and borderline starter vs not offering bc you don’t want to take kids just to take them but aren’t even that close to 85... that’s just wasting scholarships leaving them open while these guys go and play against us in the ACC...
We’re at 75 scholarships, and off the top of my head we should have probably 25-26 to offer next year. We need to get that, and then avoid 10 kids transferring out between March and August. Otherwise we’ll be in the same boat a year from now.

Advertisement
this years class was sinking like the titanic after the debacle at the end of last season and the bowl game, he had no choice to try and get some numbers or we'd be lucky to have 70 players on scholarship right now. Let's see what happens this year before we start throwing stones.
We’d be closer to 60.

We’re at 75 scholarship players presently, including all of the transfers and the 4 walk ons that earned scholarships

I have been saying this fpr years. It’s malpractice to run a team sognificantly below the 85 limit. And it’s idiotic to take reaches from elsewhere over local kids who we can evaluate better, are tougher, and are local.
Too much coaching turnover. Each round of it triggers rapid roster attrition. We had one class - 2012 - lose 41% off it’s players in two years. I’ve posted on this in a separate thread...up until Mark Richt we were regularly seeing years where over 30 players departed.

Too much coaching turnover. Each round of it triggers rapid roster attrition. We had one class - 2012 - lose 41% off it’s players in two years. I’ve posted on this in a separate thread...up until Mark Richt we were regularly seeing years where over 30 players departed.
Eh. Coaching attrition happens when you hire terrible coaches. But Richt, in particular, refused to sign full classes. He should get the most blame on this topic. Golden had sanctions. Shannon signed one big class then gave up.

Revised numbers....full roster is at 78 players. This includes the four walk-ons that earned scholarships in the offseason (I don't have reliable numbers on previous years for walkons earning schollies). For the sake of comparisons, if you don't factor them in we would be at 74, which is the lowest since 2013. The Hurricanes had 31 players depart following the 2018 season, which was the highest single year total since the conclusion of the 2011 season.

Without the seven transfers we would be at 71 players, and without the walk-ons we would be at just 67 scholarship athletes.

Going into 2020, Miami will likely have a minimum of 11 players departing due to graduation in 2020. Additionally, four of the 2019 transfers will also graduate (Osbourne, Kennedy, Hill and Nnoruka). That would leave the Hurricanes with 22 open scholarships to fill for the 2020 class, in turn getting us to 85 players.

1568256908862.png

Advertisement
In my opinion, I think Manny is attempting to take what some (myself included) consider the right approach to recruiting. He's following the Clemson model, which is simplistically put, you commit to us and you shut it down.

Unfortunately we do not have the recent success on the field and the bag game that Clemson has to make that model successful (yet).

However, I'm intrigued to see how this works. The key driver here is that we led college football in decommitments last year. And I applaud Manny for trying to change that.

Will it work? That remains to be seen.

While its certainly understandable to react to this with cynicism and doubt. I'm encouraged by the progress that our offense has made under Manny/Enos (in just two games) and expect that if we can demonstrate success on the field we'll see a positive impact in recruiting.
There seems to be a local guy game...
Commit to Miami for publicity, then flip.
Hopefully this shuts that down if nothing else.

We keep talking about all this talent we had : but out of necessity (OL) we've started two real freshman, and a red shirt freshmen, our center is basically a red shirt sophomore with limited experience, and our right tackle = sophomore : our QB = freshmen, TE = sophomores, with one with experience one starting to get burn this year: WR = we had to bring back a kid who left us, and bring in a portal kid who started day one. On defense our first 10 in the secondary experience wise = freshmen and sophomores outside of a couple of juniors, and our best safety might be a portal transfer
LB = we have seniority , but backups we have one Mccloud than two freshmen ( and the injured = Joyner, Jennings, Steed = no experience) our d line had to be bolster by two portal transfers. This is team is made up of young players where are all the Junior & Seniors, why do all our juniors seemed to feel the need to leave early :
Also there should be a minimum of 85 kids on scholarships, at least red shirting and growing, how long are we going to be double digit under 85 max. are we still under probation
Talked about talent dilution in the NFL the U routinely had 50 plus players in the league now we have in the mid 30's looks like what is graduating isn't exactly prime beef .
This seems to be a cycle we can't get out of Juniors leaving early true freshmen and sophomores first up :

Telling commits to shut it down would’ve probably worked if we were 2-0. At least then you could say we’re building a winner, get on board or get lost. But being 0-2 makes it seem desperate and if it doesn’t turn off the kids it will probably turn off the ones surrounding them

Why does it appear there is resistance to paying for recruits? Seems like every other big time school is involved and, aside from Ole Miss, I haven't seen any program get sanctioned over it.

Do we not have the boosters willing to pay? Are the coaches afraid of getting caught? From an institutional standpoint, why are we not heavy in the bag game?

Advertisement
Why does it appear there is resistance to paying for recruits? Seems like every other big time school is involved and, aside from Ole Miss, I haven't seen any program get sanctioned over it.

Do we not have the boosters willing to pay? Are the coaches afraid of getting caught? From an institutional standpoint, why are we not heavy in the bag game?

We always get caught everytime we drop the bags because someone is always snitching. People can't seem to keep their mouths closed in Miami. Meanwhile Timmy at UGA will never snitch.

Who care who the **** we recruit, can you coach them? Coaching sucks period. How much better recruiting do you need to beat UNC? That is just a lame *** excuse we keep using.
So take the job and show them how it's done.

No offense but this is an idiotic post. It's all about recruiting, I suggest you read Jimmy Johnson's book, even he admitted that it's Jimmy's and Joe's not X's and O's. I don't care about being good enough to win the Coastal, I want the Canes to compete on the national stage and we'll never get there unless we can recruit elite players. We just aren't doing that now.

Scub the players can’t coach themselves.

Advertisement
So take the job and show them how it's done.
Coker, Randy, Golden, Richt, and Manny have messed this up. Stop blaming the player. UCF would have hung 50 points and beat UNC. It is all about coaching. But if you want to keep using recruiting is the reason we lost to COASTAL teams is just lazy!

Manny just has to coach them up period. I think he will year 2.

Still think it is recruiting. Wake is killing UNC! Keep blaming the players and recruiting.

Coaching has to step the **** up

Advertisement
Back