Manny better start taking recruiting more seriously

Advertisement
What makes you think he doesn't take it seriously?

Do you think he doesn't want the best talent he can get?

What makes you think a bunch of front running high school kids that switch schools yearly to try a be on a super team won't seek out a super team in college?

You get what you can and he will do just that.

Im with you on the recruiting part. Although I don’t see him ever being elite at it, it’s crazy to think he doesn’t try. I’m just not sold on Manny as a player developer. Although some of our defensive guys are what they are athletically (LBers) I don’t see people taking that next step after they flash as younger guys

One thing I want to see more than anything else is actually being at nearly 85 scholarships... they always say they don’t want to take kids just to take them... well, look at DT Jason Strowbridge for UNC. Solid player from SFL that we never really recruited. Yet we take a player like Tyreic Martin that will never play a down here... when we aren’t even at 85, no reason not to roster a guy like that as solid depth and borderline starter vs not offering bc you don’t want to take kids just to take them but aren’t even that close to 85... that’s just wasting scholarships leaving them open while these guys go and play against us in the ACC...
I have been saying this fpr years. It’s malpractice to run a team sognificantly below the 85 limit. And it’s idiotic to take reaches from elsewhere over local kids who we can evaluate better, are tougher, and are local.

What makes you think he doesn't take it seriously?

Do you think he doesn't want the best talent he can get?

What makes you think a bunch of front running high school kids that switch schools yearly to try a be on a super team won't seek out a super team in college?

You get what you can and he will do just that.

There are 2 possibilities.

1. He doesn't take it seriously.

2. He takes it seriously, but just sucks at it.

I would prefer it be number 1, since that is easier to fix.

Advertisement
There are 2 possibilities.

1. He doesn't take it seriously.

2. He takes it seriously, but just sucks at it.

I would prefer it be number 1, since that is easier to fix.

Or three....

Players want to play for winners. I already said that.

We had a decent enough defense that the defense itself wasn't costing us a game outside of a Clemson matchup.

We weren't losing games because of our defense, but because we had no offense. Either way, it amounts to us losing.

We had people on this board saying how bad it must suck seeing three and out on offense. No matter how the defense played, that had to be frustrating. You don't think some recruits picked up on that?

The top guys, the real difference makers are going elsewhere. We are a barely lukewarm destination. We look good early with classes far out, then a heavy hitter steps in taking whoever they want.

Bottom line, we get the best available or what they deem the best available. We will have to start winning to get better prospects. It isn't rocket science and all the effort in the world doesn't matter when you're trying to climb up and a big fish wants the same recruit. They will rarely lose that battle.

I said when he was hired that I was worried about his recruiting based on his tenure as DC. I am still worried about it, tbh.

Give us 10 guys he should have landed during his time here over those he did. I'll wait, this will be easy pickings.

People here are fans. They think an offer from us is special. It's a decent offer, but there's 20 schools out there at a bare minimum that have a better resume since these recruits cognitive years.

Again, hometown team doesn't matter. They don't even have loyalty to their own neighborhood schools and the friends they grew up playing with. P

Advertisement
Or three....

Players want to play for winners. I already said that.

We had a decent enough defense that the defense itself wasn't costing us a game outside of a Clemson matchup.

We weren't losing games because of our defense, but because we had no offense. Either way, it amounts to us losing.

We had people on this board saying how bad it must suck seeing three and out on offense. No matter how the defense played, that had to be frustrating. You don't think some recruits picked up on that?

The top guys, the real difference makers are going elsewhere. We are a barely lukewarm destination. We look good early with classes far out, then a heavy hitter steps in taking whoever they want.

Bottom line, we get the best available or what they deem the best available. We will have to start winning to get better prospects. It isn't rocket science and all the effort in the world doesn't matter when you're trying to climb up and a big fish wants the same recruit. They will rarely lose that battle.

Of course kids want to play for the winning teams. That is not what anyone is saying. No one is saying "Manny sucks at recruiting because he isn't crooting at Bamas level".

However, he is not recruiting at an appropriate level for where we are. Look at how he was recruiting compared to our own offensive recruiting.

The level we are at now with like 15 3 stars is just pathetic. That is not acceptable no matter how bad last season was.

Of course kids want to play for the winning teams. That is not what anyone is saying. No one is saying "Manny sucks at recruiting because he isn't crooting at Bamas level".

However, he is not recruiting at an appropriate level for where we are. Look at how he was recruiting compared to our own offensive recruiting.

The level we are at now with like 15 3 stars is just pathetic. That is not acceptable no matter how bad last season was.

We've been a 3 star program. What else do you expect? We haven't been anything better than that. We haven't been in a long time.

We've been a 3 star program. What else do you expect? We haven't been anything better than that. We haven't been in a long time.

So why is that all the offensive coaches were able to pull in 4 stars? You act like 4 stars are only for "elite" programs. G5 teams get the occasional 4 stars.

What is the difference between a 3star, 4star, 5star?
Is ability to execute on a play a factor?
Are hands for receivers?
Is blocking the correct assignment for OL?
Do they understand their HS offense/defense or does stuff happen around them and they don't know how or why it happens and adding any complexity to their environment neutralizes them?

Then, What makes for a cohesive team?
Do the players complement each other?
Do they have the same goals?

Advertisement
So why is that all the offensive coaches were able to pull in 4 stars? You act like 4 stars are only for "elite" programs. G5 teams get the occasional 4 stars.

What in the world are you hanging your hat on in this conversation?

247 Composite Rankings of 4 stars by year:

2020 - 5 offense and 4 defense.
2019 - 1 offense and 6 defense.
2018 - 10 offense and 4 defense
2017 - 5 offense and 4 defense

4 year total: 21 offense and 18 defense.

We always take a 4 star QB luckily. So that basically evens things out. You also had a head coach, say what you will about Richt, who had a resume for coaching an offense.

The composite rankings also have more offensive 4 stars or greater as well since they're the glamor positions.

So I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Since he took over and I say that loosely as the last class was patchwork, the 4 stars greatly favor the defense.

What in the world are you hanging your hat on in this conversation?

247 Composite Rankings of 4 stars by year:

2020 - 5 offense and 4 defense.
2019 - 1 offense and 6 defense.
2018 - 10 offense and 4 defense
2017 - 5 offense and 4 defense

4 year total: 21 offense and 18 defense.

We always take a 4 star QB luckily. So that basically evens things out. You also had a head coach, say what you will about Richt, who had a resume for coaching an offense.

The composite rankings also have more offensive 4 stars or greater as well since they're the glamor positions.

So I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Since he took over and I say that loosely as the last class was patchwork, the 4 stars greatly favor the defense.

You don't seem to be following what I am saying. Let me see if I can expand on it for you.

I am not comparing the defense under Manny to the offense under Manny to show Manny is a poor recruiter.

You are saying "well since we aren't winning any games we can't pull 4 stars and Manny should not be expected to pull anything, but 3 stars."

I am saying, back in 17/18 Manny had control of the defensive recruiting and was still recruiting at a very low level. However, the offensive coaches somehow did the impossible(according to you) and didn't land a squad full of 3 stars. If they were somehow able to pull this off, Manny has no excuses. Even in the 2018 year, when we played in the OB, defense was "elite", Turnover chain was everywhere, UF was down, FSU was down, Manny still couldn't recruit well.

The most important part. Ignore recruiting rankings for a second. Mannys best defenses came from No Ds guys. He finally has all "his guys" in this year and it is the worst defense he has fielded here. No D was a better recruiter than him.

Advertisement
HEre's something that should give you pause - Manny was a dude that was a very questionable recruiter as a DC. Questionable evals, very slow to offer some kids, etc. His career as DC was filled with that.
My biggest concern with Manny is he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Hopefully, he's gotten humbled a bit and will realize you can't just win with any assistant coaches or any players.

My biggest concern with Manny is he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Hopefully, he's gotten humbled a bit and will realize you can't just win with any assistant coaches or any players.

You just described every coach that ever was. They all think they're the smartest guy in the room. Too funny.

Advertisement
Back